Fender USA American Elite Jazz Bass Neck and Tuners

Faith Nicole

Squier-holic
Nov 14, 2013
Florida
Well, hopefully I didn't screw up. I just ordered this neck (damaged) in hopes to repair it and put on my 2017 Elite Precision as I prefer jazz neck profiles and it is nigh on to impossible to find a neck for one. Jneck.PNG

Jneck2.PNG

It hasn't shipped yet . I'm so impatient.

Faith Nicole

Squier-holic
Nov 14, 2013
Florida
update. It came in. Poly cracks. structural looks ok. small divots in some of the frets so it must have been strung up when damage occurred. I can fix both easy enough, can't start until Sunday though .. back to back playdates this weekend to be ready for.

here it is compared to an $80 Chinese neck and alongside my precision.

20220622_172533.jpg

20220622_174558.jpg

dpang2836

Squier-holic
Double Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2022
IDAHO
Looks like the Japanese Allpart's Neck they put in Geddy Lee Mex Fenders. I Custom Assembled 2 Basses. Mine got the China Neck since I couldn't find a 30" Scale Neck from a Squier etc. My Brother got the $280 Japanese one. He is Gigging still and turning 71 in July. I might send him a Rosewood one for a Spare! That Neck, if you can find one, would probably be around $800 from Fender USA.:eek:

Faith Nicole

Squier-holic
Nov 14, 2013
Florida
the prices get crazy. it's almost always noticable once you grab it. That chinese neck looks good, seems straight & solid (have to see it strung up) but it needs a lot of fret work before then. I guess I'll have to shop for a body sometime over the next few months and build a pretty beater. Takes me a while to work on these things, my upper body gives out .. I'm such a wimp.

The Fender though, glue and polish should take care of that.

dpang2836

Squier-holic
Double Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2022
IDAHO
Hopefully that is not "Back Bow" cracks! I bought a Neck where the guy turned Truss Rod the wrong way. A Neck needs a little Relief! I was lucky after gluing it and the Truss Rod still worked.

Faith Nicole

Squier-holic
Nov 14, 2013
Florida
This neck truss is dual action. Just sitting it's eyeball straight. It wasn't damaged due to the truss, you can tell that it either fell over hitting something or something hit it. Divots in the frets wouldn't happen from improper adjustment.

No apparent wood damage .. yay!

On to the 'repair'. I'm going for serviceable not 'as good as new' so I approached it differently. Right now it is all glued and pressed back into shape with first coat of poly on it. it's nice and smooth, crack lines only noticeable close up. Much better than the broken phone screen feel.

20220623_165921.jpg 20220624_055129.jpg

Extra note, yes I'm aware that once strung up and truss adjusted that I may have to start all over and dig deeper. Such is life.

dpang2836

Squier-holic
Double Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2022
IDAHO
Just Cosmetic! I wish we were "Blind" Guitarists sometimes. China Neck, which looks Cool, is waiting for Back-up!:cool:

Faith Nicole

Squier-holic
Nov 14, 2013
Florida
didn't accomplish much tonight. light buffing. I didn't get to finish dressing the frets, maybe tomorrow

As you can see, the cracks are visible, however, they are glued tight and you cannot feel them. I suppose that I could have replaced the inlay. You can't see the cracks from more than a few inches away though.

here is 3 different angles.

20220628_181301.jpg

20220628_181328.jpg

20220628_181409.jpg

Faith Nicole

Squier-holic
Nov 14, 2013
Florida
I hope no surprises. I really want a jazz neck on my p-bass. No earlier than 9th of July. We have a weekend off so I'll have extended time to put it through it's paces.

hmm, guess I should order new strings just in case. sometimes the windings throw a fit when you take them off

Latest posts