Fender Official color chart discrepancies...

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by billyb, Aug 1, 2020.

1. billyb

billyb Squier-Meister

Jun 13, 2018
    Central Michigan
    https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us/articles/214034783-Instrument-Finish-Color-Chart

I was trying to confirm the official color of my '04 Standard MIM...and ran across this...
    There are # codes for most colors...but:
    The numbers are not sequential...some #'s are skipped.
    There are duplicate #'s...
    There are duplicate color NAMES with different color codes...(2 Metallic Blues...diff #'s).
    And then there are some colors not mentioned at all...(Chrome Blue and Sunfire Orange are 2 examples).
    My guitar is a Special Edition 2004 and I THINK it's Chrome Blue...:) :)
    Just thought that this was interesting :)

Deepblankspace likes this.
  2. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

Yes, there are many inconsistencies, duplicates, etc. I wouldn't place any emphasis on colors being in sequential order or numbers being missing. Someday I'll get around to documenting Fender colors.

I have documented Squier colors in a spreadsheet that shows duplicates, inconsistencies, etc. I'll get around to making it publicly-viewable, maybe in Google docs or something.

Best1989 and billyb like this.
  3. billyb

billyb Squier-Meister

Jun 13, 2018
    Central Michigan
    I'm really surprised how poor the Fender Archives Dept. is...seems most of the
    History and Wiki's have been documented by Fender Freaks...NOT FMI...

4. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    That chart is off! What they call Fiesta Red looks like salmon pink, while Race Red looks more like Fiesta Red. What they call Capri Orange looks like a mustard yellow. And, they have two Burgundy Mists, one called BM Metallic and one just called BM, which is the too light one that they use a lot now. And their LPB is too light also, while the Navy Blue Metallic right next to it looks like LPB looked in the 60s, 'cause it was much darker than what they call LPB now. They do that with several famous custom colors, and make them look like a faded and yellowed 50 year old version, instead of what they looked like new back then. And, there are a lot of missing colors.
    They don't even have Foam Green!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  5. billyb

billyb Squier-Meister

Jun 13, 2018
    Central Michigan
    Sea Foam green is #49 on the chart...it looks almost identical to #57 Surf Green :)

6. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I missed it, lol. But, that's way wrong too. It should be a lot darker, like the Bullet Strats were in that color.
    fnlbvtwyu49hno2vxcof.jpg

7. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

To be fair about it, FMIC is a manufacturing company. We're the ones who are obsessive about this stuff.

billyb likes this.
  8. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    For a company that focuses so much on their history, and uses that as one of their major selling points, they should be accurate about their history, or it makes them look stupid.

billyb likes this.