Fender MIM "Squier Series"

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by woolbrig, Sep 10, 2010.

1. S. Rock

S. Rock Squier-holic

Dec 17, 2009
    Minnesota
    ok, now I'm confused. :confused: I have a MN3(MIM '93). the large logo says "Squier"(black label) and "by Fender" in the ball of the headstock. I've always assumed that it's a Squier, MIM(assembled) with Fender parts and lesser quality electronics. so, where does this Squier "fit" into the scheme of Squiers MIM ?

2. jimbojo

jimbojo Squier-holic

Jun 30, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    I have an MN5 and I have to say the body is nice looks like Alder, the neck is great, 1 piece maple. I like the single ply guard but the tuners, electronics and bridge are pretty cheap. That being said swapped the tuners out with vintage style Wilkinsons, the pots with CTS, the switch with a grigsby and the pups are seymour duncans, now she is is sweet as can be. So with the initial $165 for the axe, $65 for tuners and electronics, picked up the pups free in a trade, I have about $230 into this guitar and it is way nicer than a standard MIM.

3. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    I definitly prefer my 90's MIM over the current lot of MIM's, the increased price over the years just lost the appeal to me.

4. little red

little red Squier Talker

Jan 6, 2011
    charlotte nc
    I have 6 strats 2 fenders and 4 squiers my mim is ser mn7 its white alder body maple neck and board is alot lighter than my other strats. it also had cheap tuners and hardware. currently modding with kluson tuners ,gfs vintage solid block trem,roller string trees.and to finish it of a set of tonerider classic blues pups.I have enough money in this thing to by an american but i have one already and this guitar smokes it actually its the best feeling and playing strat i own so i would say congrats you got a beauty.

5. 66musicmaster

66musicmaster Squier-Meister

Dec 14, 2009
    Mount Airy, NC
    I just added a set of cheap ($39) used Fender Tex Mex pups to mine and am liking it much more. Also filled in the nicks on back of neck with some testors model car clear paint and sanded them smooth, so it's feeling better everyday. Tuners are still the stockers - someday if they quit working. These are good solid strats and can be quite good, if you take the time to work with them. Mine is vintage white; I put a toro guard on it and it is quite the looker to me. And still a cheap guitar.

Randy

6. little red

little red Squier Talker

Jan 6, 2011
    charlotte nc
    Mine is a mn7 with gold label?

7. mobaar

mobaar Squier Talker

Apr 7, 2011
    Urbana, IL
    Can anyone here help me with this? The guy selling it is saying this is a MIM "Squier Series" guitar but it is not the black Fender logo and it doesn't say "Squier Series" on the headstock. I'm utterly confused and do not want to find myself on the losing end of this deal. What's the deal, do you ask? My Epi LP Limited (valued ~$300) for the supposed MIM Squier Tele and an entry-level f-style mandolin made by Trinity River ($150 new). Any clues?

[​IMG]

8. mobaar

mobaar Squier Talker

Apr 7, 2011
    Urbana, IL
    Serial is MN7* by the way.

9. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Yep, the black label 'Squier Series' stopped in MN*5 the Traditional series continued through MN*6. So this is MIM Squier after those years. I'd say the trade value is no more than $300 in a good condition. :cool:

10. Viking

Viking Squier-Meister

Apr 10, 2010
    Winnipeg,Mb Canada
    Looks like it's a Made in Mexico (Squier). I have 2 MIM Squier Stratocasters, they have nice necks and bodies but come with cheap hardware and electronics. Easily upgradable though. Never seen a MIM squier Tele but would love to find one.

From what I've read about the MIM Squiers on the Squier forums they might go for as much as $150 in the states but many people say they have found them in pawn shops or on CL for under $100. I guess it depends on how the guitar feels to you and what shape it's in.

Hope this helps.

11. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    True, I'm thinking of MIM Fenders. That guy's trying to take you for a ride, don't trade for it. Trade value is not always purchase value. I'd value my MIM Fender Strat w/ upgrades over 300, but I coulld'nt sell it for that.
    Here's one ending in a little over a day http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270731468432

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  12. Kid Klash

Kid Klash Squier-holic

Dec 17, 2009
    PDX
    I know this is an older thread, but this just popped up on my local CL : http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/msg/2311231632.html

Nope - not mine (dang!) :D

13. mobaar

mobaar Squier Talker

Apr 7, 2011
    Urbana, IL
    I don't know if it'd be that drastic, it seems like he did some research and came across information that some MN7 Squiers are in fact Squier Series guitars, but I'm talking with him now and I think we're both discovering that this isn't all either of us thought it might be. The odd thing is that it appears to have been upgraded with some aftermarket parts, most notably a Seymour Duncan JB mini humbucker, and also has a 3-ply pickguard. It's truly an odd Frankenmonster, to be sure.

With all that, I think I'll end up passing on the guitar. Too many unknowns. Sigh, Fender company, why must you be so confusing about what is what!?!?! :)

Thanks for the help, guys. I'm trying to break out of my Epi and into some single coil love, but I'm having the hardest time. What would you trade for this guitar? :)

[​IMG]

14. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Well Squier ... yes , 'Squier Series' was dropped in '95. So the pickguard being 3-ply is no shock to me. Prob is legitimate. Plus how can you find a trade for an Epi that's as hot as the sun! ... hang in there :cool:
    Trade it for a Classic Vibe. Many will tell you, you wont be disappointed.

15. JerryUrcid1016

JerryUrcid1016 New Member

Aug 16, 2017
    Mexico

Attached Files:

16. JerryUrcid1016

JerryUrcid1016 New Member

Aug 16, 2017
    Mexico
    Hey Pesky.

Before anything, i'd like to say you're awesome, thanks for your complete explanaiton. I need your help, attached a couple of pictures, i need to figure out if the guitar is fender MIM or fender Squier Series. Thanks for your comments.

17. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Your guitar looks like a '96 black label Fender "Traditional Series" which is similiar to the Squier Series except it doesn't say so on the ball of the headstock.

18. Michael7

Michael7 Dr. Squier

It is MIM, just lower specs than regular MIM. Note single ply pick guard and cheap tuners. However, they are still great Fender-made guitars. You should be able to buy for less than the regular MIM models in your local market. It looks like it is great condition, and the maple neck/white is desirable. I'd personally buy if I could get for maybe $175. The necks are great and the pickups sound really good too.

Some of the information in the thread from 2011 that you linked to a little speculative, but if you play it, I think you will like it.

jjudas likes this.
  19. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    The local pawn shop in my area outside of Buffalo has 2 of the Fender MIM Squier series Strats in decent shape for $250 each. Both are White, one maple neck the other RW. He's had them for about a year, I'm sure he would negotiate. Maybe this will help with prices for you.