Fender Hot Noiseless

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by Believer89, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Believer89

Believer89 Squier Talker

May 11, 2021
    United States
    Any experience with those? No bashing or negativity please. At one time, years ago, I thought Buddy Guy might have used them.

five teles and 65refinyellow like this.
  2. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    I think they serve a great purpose I once had the similar noiseless hot Fender Lace pickups.

So in the dive bar that I played at last month, though being a single coil Fender guy, I took a humbucker guitar onstage because of the hum my strat would have had.

Now if I had any noiseless single coil I would have been thrilled. They’re close enough to real single coils (and who will know at that volume and the chatter) and certainly far closer to an old strat than a humbucker guitar which I begrudgingly took with me.

ant_riv and Believer89 like this.
  3. Believer89

Believer89 Squier Talker

May 11, 2021
    United States
    Thank you for your response. I’m wanting something that has
    a full, bluesy, with more oomph, but also retains the glassy bell like tone. From your experience, do they have those?

4. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I haven't played the Hot Noiseless, but the Vintage Noiseless are one of the better noiseless pickups I've tried. Some players say the Hot is even better. Try to find some videos of the current Jeff Beck model Strat, 'cause it has them in it. Just bear in mind that the 1st Jeff Beck had Lace Sensors, not these. Based on your description of what you want, I would reccomend Texas Specials. My set has exactly the attributes you describe
    The original Buddy Guy signature Strat used Lace Sensors, not Hot Noiseless ones
    https://www.groundguitar.com/buddy-guy-guitars-and-gear

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    65refinyellow likes this.
  5. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    Clean and glassy won’t be there with the noiseless pickups. There’s some glass but it’s mostly an attribute with true single coils.

Even true single coils like the Jazzmaster and any P-90 pickups don’t quite have the glassy sound. They’re all certainly glassy-er than a humbucker.

I put another vote in for Texas Specials or even Tex Mex.

I could handle what little hum that
    Blues will have but I am in punk band so true singles will hum too much.

But some blues players are more like Mayer and Bonanassa and instead of let’s say Ibanez Tube Screamers used lightly, their tone is closer to Friedman gain pedals or the trusty DOD distortion types which can replicate a huge back line and pedalboard on the cheap. They carry a punch snd you can as easily play modern blues and jump right into Sabbath and Deep Purple. On those maybe you’re smarter with noiseless.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  6. Believer89

Believer89 Squier Talker

May 11, 2021
    United States
    Years ago, Fender had Guy using HN’s on their website when you clicked on artists that uses them. This was around 2009.

7. Believer89

Believer89 Squier Talker

May 11, 2021
    United States
  8. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    You're right. When I re-read the article about his guitars that I posted a link to, it say that sometime in the early 2000s he had the Gold Lace Sensors in his Strats replaced with noiseless pickups, although it doesn't say which ones

9. ant_riv

ant_riv Squier Talker

Aug 29, 2012
    Chicago
    There are a few places I play where single-coil hum is unusable, due to wiring, signs, refrigerators, etc.
    I have been very happy using Fender Vintage Hot Noiseless and Hot Gold Lace Sensors.

Don't let the 'Hot' designation fool you. They are very similar output to regular single-coil pickups.
    The 'Regular' versions seem to have a bit less output, and are slightly brighter sounding. IMO.

10. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-holic

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Where I live and play, RFI noise is a problem, so I generally prefer to use stacked, SC-sized humbuckers or actives.

I like the SD Stack Plus Strats for the more vintage style sound, Hot Stack Strats for the hotter Strat sound, or the various SC humbuckers for the more girthy warm sounds. The active Blackout Strats are also excellent.

Sorry, I know ye asked about the Fender Hot or Vintage noiseless, but I never tried them so can't help ye there. I do know that Gilmour tried the Stack Plus Strats in one of his guitars and were used in his recent Fender Sig Syrat.