Fender Bassbreaker 007 or Similar Amps?

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by Benlostforyears, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Benlostforyears

Benlostforyears Squier-Meister

Aug 17, 2020
    Western NC
    I'm looking for another low wattage tube amp and have my eye on this one. Unfortunately none of the stores near me have one in stock to try out. Has anyone tried this amp or similar size tube amp that can give any insight? Also if you have an amp in this category you feel is better please let me know. I already have a Bugera V5 that I already swapped the speaker for a Weber Sig 8C and tubes (tried JJ, Sovtek, and Mullard, but it still sounds too muffled for me.

2. BobWithOneO

BobWithOneO Squier-Meister

Dec 3, 2020
    Best Carolina
    I liked what I have heard from the Supro Delta King 12 when I got to play it in person a couple months back. I think the 12" combo is like $650 though.

3. Benlostforyears

Aug 17, 2020
    Western NC
    Those Supro's look like awesome amps but from what I've read you have to really crank them to get some decent breakup and that's not ideal for me. The main appeal of the Bassbreaker 007 for me is that it has nice cleans at low volume and breaks up early without getting crazy loud, and can be found for about $300 used.

4. driver8

driver8 Squier-Meister

Jun 19, 2020
    NY
    Bassbreakers are great sounding amps. I wouldn't hesitate.

Benlostforyears and horax like this.
  5. howserx

howserx Squier-Nut

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    Does the V5 have the button for the tone stack bypass? My T5 has one and bypassing the tone stack does wonders for the tone. It also has doubles the volume which is a bit of a pain. Nothing an attenuator can't tame.
    Other than that I can't think of anything that I've tried that is low wattage. Other than the T5 all my amps are 15-22 watts. Oh! The Ibanex TSA 15 has a pentode Triode switch that will bring it down to 7W. It has wonderful cleans and a built in tube screamer that will make it break up. It's rate at 15W but most of my other amps in the range will blow it out of the water volume wise. Fine by me, I don't play loud anyways so the fact it won't rattle windows is a plus.

6. drewcp

drewcp Dr. Squier

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I don't like the Bassbreaker. I think it doesn't do Fender cleans well enough, or Marshall dirt well enough to appeal to me. It sits right in a middle ground that I have never asked for.

corn and Benlostforyears like this.
  7. Benlostforyears

Aug 17, 2020
    Western NC
    No the tone stack bypass requires a circuit board mod on the V5 which is more than I trust myself to do. It has the built in attenuator but I keep it at 5w because it sounds like it's underwater on the .1w and 1w settings. I'm also seriously considering one of these Koch Jupiter Junior 20w amps. They are hybrid amps but have really nice features like a "dimmer" dial that is an attenuator for tube tone at low volume. Could be exactly what I need.

[​IMG]
    https://megatonemusic.com/products/koch-jupiter-jr-15-watt-1x12-combo

8. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

Bassbreakers are a no-go for me. Fender guards the schematics like state secrets.

Triple Jim likes this.