Favorite UNDERRATED guitarist

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by late2guitar, May 15, 2017.

1. late2guitar

late2guitar Squier-Nut

Feb 5, 2016
    West Tennessee
    Eddie Van Halen, Jimi, Duane Allmann, Clapton, all, AWESOME. None are underrated.

Who's your favorite guitarist who doesn't get enough press? Mine is, unabashedly, Todd Park Mohr, the namesake behind Big Head Todd & The Monsters.

He sings, plays, writes and he's got a kinship with the Delta bluesmen that I love (I am from Muddy Waters' hometown of Rolling Fork, Miss... They call him McKinley Morganfield there) which is 50 miles from B.B. King's hometown of Indianola. Anyway, Mohr is an amazing guitarist with a tremendous sweep picking technique and a subtle command of guitar language.

Here's a sample or two...

Robb, DaveDrums, five teles and 6 others like this.
  2. jimbojo

jimbojo Squier-holic

Jun 30, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Dude! I dig Todd. I got into them in the 90's, probably still one of my favorite bands. My wife and I are thinking of going to see them in Red Rocks this year. One of my staples on my jam list is Bittersweet, that song is definitely in my top 10 if not top 5 all time favorites.

3. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Elliot Easton from the Cars.

4. jimbojo

jimbojo Squier-holic

Jun 30, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    That's another great one. I always loved how he could playvgreat licks then just drop back into the mix. Superb dynamics

5. late2guitar

late2guitar Squier-Nut

Feb 5, 2016
    West Tennessee
    I've seen them thrice... once in the 90s at the Orpheum, Memphis. Once in Little Rock in (roughly) 2013 at Juanita's Mexican Cantina and once in 2014 (I think) in Nashville at Third & Lindsley. I'm sorting out how, where to see them next! I once wrote on someone else's blog that my wife and I called them "the best bar band in the world" only to see the quote used in a magazine article. They have that raw, bluesy, barroom sound I grew up hearing with amazing songs, incredible musicianship and and a really cool "how are the 200 of us here the only people who get how freaking awesome these guys are?" vibe. There are other great underrated guitarists. But Todd's my man.

Hard Road and radiotech like this.
  6. jimbojo

jimbojo Squier-holic

Jun 30, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    I've only seen them once, is Santa Fe on the Horde Tour, with Sheryl Crow, Blues Traveler and the Allman Bros, what a great show. I missed them a couple years ago playing for free in Alb, at the Summer Fest. I was pissed I couldn't go.

late2guitar, Hard Road and radiotech like this.
  7. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-Nut

This will be pretty obscure but...

Ron Strykert - Men At Work.

Robb, five teles, Davis Sharp and 9 others like this.
  8. hunter rose IV

hunter rose IV Squier-Nut

Oct 19, 2010
    seattle,WA
    Jamie West Oram, of the Fixx, just astonishing.

Robb, five teles, radiotech and 2 others like this.
  9. DrWu

DrWu Squier Talker

Apr 24, 2017
    OH
    Phil Keaggy -- Glass Harp

Robb, five teles, Pat V. and 2 others like this.
  10. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-Nut

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    I don't know if he qualifies for underrated, but he's not ''main stream''... Derek Trucks.
    Also I think that Lyndsey Buckingham and Alex Lifeson are underrated imo.
    Rush live in Montréal :

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Robb, Rollmeaway, SoundDesign and 6 others like this.
  11. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    I love Elliott Easton's guitar work and I will gladly throw Lyle Workman into the mix -
    He is an amazing guitarist and nice guy with some very cool solo work. He's toured with Beck, Sting, Tony Williams, Frank Black (Pixies), Todd Rundgren, Bourgeois Tagg. He's done lots of session work including with Michael Buble, Bryan Adams, Alanis Morissette, Shakira, Jellyfish and does motion picture scoring.

Check out his gear list here.... :)

lyle_mcrae_session.jpg

I also love the guitar work of Steve Bartek (from Oingo Boingo)

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  12. late2guitar

late2guitar Squier-Nut

Feb 5, 2016
    West Tennessee
    My cousin, a bass player and aspiring guitarist, says dollar for dollar Tedeschi-Trucks is the best band EVER. I respect his opinion and I'm in the "they've got talent" camp. Nice pick. Me: Rush fan. And the misses is a huge Fleetwood Mac fan. Does it get better than LB's song "Go Your Own Way"? Great, great picks.

Robb, Rollmeaway, five teles and 4 others like this.
  13. Hard Road

Hard Road Squier-Meister

Apr 18, 2017
    Orange County
    Thats the first guy I always think of when posed this question. Great Rock and Roll guitarist that got lost in the new wave label I would guess.

But since you named him..... I will say Pete Anderson. One of the reasons I took more than a passing interest in Country music. Not Flashy... Great songwriter, producer and he even has his own signature Guitar from a semi obscure Guitar Company. Very important to the turnaround back to more traditional Country/Honky Tonk influences in the mid 80's. and he seems kinda humble dorky which is kinda cool.

fun discussion \m/

14. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    cool thread!!

For me, I always wondered why Robbie Krieger never seemed to get the credit he deserved for his playing AND songwriting. I guess between Jim and (to a lesser extent) Ray, there was no spotlight left to shine on Robbie or John. Those 4 created a unique sound that to this day really has nothing "like" them - and it wasn't JUST Jim, it really was a product of 4 great musicians

Robb, squierbilly, five teles and 4 others like this.
  15. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    I don't think Mick Mars ever got the credit he was due. He was overshadowed by the huge personalities of the rest of the guys in Motley Crue. Malcolm Young was overshadowed in the same way by his brother. AC/DC owes their sound to Malcolm's rhythm playing. While we're at, Don Felder makes my short list, too. :cool:

Robb, squierbilly, DaveDrums and 3 others like this.
  16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    I like Jim Babjak from the Smithereens (Girl Like You anyone?)

That being said there's Martin Rotsey from Midnight Oil too.

Doug Martsch from Built to Spill.

There are plenty of underrated guys, even on this forum..

But I guess up there might be Elvin Bishop and his contribution to East-West. It was not just that other guy:

Robb, Rollmeaway, five teles and 3 others like this.
  17. Hotrod89

Hotrod89 Squier-Meister

Feb 21, 2015
    Alabama

18. Hotrod89

Hotrod89 Squier-Meister

Feb 21, 2015
    Alabama
  19. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-Nut

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Dude! Wilko Johnson all day!

late2guitar, radiotech and Luvs2yoko like this.
  20. Flowing Chords

Flowing Chords Squier-Meister

Sep 27, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Alex Lifeson of RUSH! He's the best ;)