Fast Sales... Shocked!

miket1117

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 31, 2018
Kansas City
As some may know, I had a huge (and unexpected) tax bill that forced me to put my '92 Charvel Surfcaster 12 on the block. I first considered selling it through a local, well-respected guitar shop on consigment, but ultimately put it up on Reverb.

It sold inside of 12 hours, no questions asked, no negotiation. The buyer simply put in cart and checked out. He received it last Wed. and is absolutely thrilled (thankfully).

Then, this past Sunday evening, I finally put the J Mascis Jazzmaster up on Reverb. Last night, again, someone dropped it in their cart and checked out! Totally blown away... no questions, no comments. Just bought it. (I was selling the Jazzmaster to basically fund the purchase of the CV 70s Jaguar.)

So today, decided to take the afternoon off work to make a trip to GC to buy a fresh set strings to ship with it (as promised in the ad), then will get it packed up nicely in the gig bag and take it to UPS. Shipping down to a town just outside of Tulsa.

I'm not sure how i could be so lucky on two sales practically back-to-back, but I am very thankful!

miket1117

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 31, 2018
Kansas City
You probably live a good life, karma ! :)
dunno, robb... i've had my moments, good 😇 and bad 👹 .

i'm just glad to move them along to new owners who are stoked to get them.

the mascis is an original production run, so has the more desirable rosewood fb. by serial number was never quite sure if it was a late 2012 or early 2013, but in any case it is in near mint condition. so was the Charvel.

M T Poteet

Squier-Meister
Aug 17, 2021
CO
I have had good luck selling on Reverb.
I probably get soaked on shipping by the time I consider material costs and time spent packing. I do an extremely good job of packing/shipping.. Most of my buyers have said so.

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-Meister
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
As some may know, I had a huge (and unexpected) tax bill that forced me to put my '92 Charvel Surfcaster 12 on the block. I first considered selling it through a local, well-respected guitar shop on consigment, but ultimately put it up on Reverb.

It sold inside of 12 hours, no questions asked, no negotiation. The buyer simply put in cart and checked out. He received it last Wed. and is absolutely thrilled (thankfully).

Then, this past Sunday evening, I finally put the J Mascis Jazzmaster up on Reverb. Last night, again, someone dropped it in their cart and checked out! Totally blown away... no questions, no comments. Just bought it. (I was selling the Jazzmaster to basically fund the purchase of the CV 70s Jaguar.)

So today, decided to take the afternoon off work to make a trip to GC to buy a fresh set strings to ship with it (as promised in the ad), then will get it packed up nicely in the gig bag and take it to UPS. Shipping down to a town just outside of Tulsa.

I'm not sure how i could be so lucky on two sales practically back-to-back, but I am very thankful!
Wow, and wow again! That is great. I can tell you cared for the buyers even if by nothing else then your buying fresh strings to go with the sale of your guitar!

If I sell one of mine, I would be selling a case, strap, picks. three sets of strings, and any aftermarket parts I might own for it as well. All for the same reason.

Well done!

miket1117

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 31, 2018
Kansas City
Wow, and wow again! That is great. I can tell you cared for the buyers even if by nothing else then your buying fresh strings to go with the sale of your guitar!

If I sell one of mine, I would be selling a case, strap, picks. three sets of strings, and any aftermarket parts I might own for it as well. All for the same reason.

Well done!
Thanks 'brat! Yeah, I don't always, but the Mascis and the Charvel both needed new strings and I know how i'd feel if a guitar arrived with dead or missing strings. And I certainly can't see keeping an empty case or gig bag... better to ship in that anyway!

Buyer is trying to build up his collection, making up for lost time so to speak... a common theme here on S-T... lol... i've referred him to this forum.

miket1117

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 31, 2018
Kansas City
I have had good luck selling on Reverb.
I probably get soaked on shipping by the time I consider material costs and time spent packing. I do an extremely good job of packing/shipping.. Most of my buyers have said so.
that's the way to do it!

i wrap up the guitar in foam and/or bubble wrap so the headstock is protected well and it's secure in the case or bag. even have some styrofoam squares i put on the selector switch. then i just take it to UPS and have them box it up... no used guitar boxes and old newspaper stuffing for me. don't like storing them anyway. And I get the same feedback about how well they're packed... so far so good, nothing damaged enroute.

and i always underestimate shipping cost. i had $150 on the Charvel... cost me $230. this time, i should come out okay since it's only going down to Tulsa. i charged $125, but if it comes out to be less than that, I'll refund the difference. if it ends up being more, well... oh well...

miket1117

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 31, 2018
Kansas City
If it was a reasonable price...they will go quick,,,,some are priced way over worth....congrats on your sale, nothin' like new inspiration !!!!!
i asked $525, so maybe $30 over new cost and a slight premium for EXC to NM condition and the rosewood. seemed fair. some jokers are trying to get $600 - $700 for these. they're good guitars, but not THAT good.

miket1117

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 31, 2018
Kansas City
I know that JMJM is a hot item, they sell very quickly typically on the open market.

And the surfcaster was just cool lol
there are a couple on Reverb that have lingered... that's why i was so shocked. ditto on Charvel... and yeah, it was special. hated selling it, but it went to a good guy and he's even keeping her name, Halo.

Latest posts