Fake EMG's

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by JurnyWannaBe, Jan 12, 2022.

1. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-holic

Feb 14, 2019
    Back around Thanksgiving I picked up a Schecter Omen Extreme from a local pawn shop. I was pretty pumped when I saw that it had a set of EMG 81 / 85's in it. I've been fighting with it, on and off, since I got it home. No matter what I did, I couldn't get those pups to make a sound. I probably spent about 20 hours on Google and YT trying to figure them out. Yesterday, I finally broke down and contacted EMG Customer Service. I explained what was going on and Alex Militech (heckuva nice young man) asked me to send him some pics of what I had. I got his response back a few minutes ago. It turns out my EMG's are fake Chinese knockoffs :mad: I'm both disappointed, and relieved. I hate that I wasted all that time fighting with them, and not being able to play my nused guitar. I'm relieved that it wasn't anything that I was doing wrong in my hookup.
    Anyways ... up until about an hour ago I had no idea that fake EMG's even existed. Oh well ... lesson learned :(o_O
    P.S. If anyone is interested in these little beauties send me a PM. I'll let them and all the wiring go for free, shipping included. Maybe someone else can get them to working.

20220112_204410[1].jpg 20220112_204443[1].jpg 20220112_204508[1].jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    cool gouhl, Paruwi, Exhead and 3 others like this.
  2. Eddie

Eddie My Squier is on Fire !!!

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Is the Pawn Shop liable for selling fake pickups?

dbrian66 likes this.
  3. JurnyWannaBe

Feb 14, 2019
    I'm not sure how that would work. I've bought several guitars from this same shop and I'm pretty sure the owner knows ZIP about them other than what he can see (money wise) on eBay. I've known him for a good while I don't think he would hoodoo anybody like that. I'm just gonna count it as a lesson learned and let it go :)

Robb, duzie, dbrian66 and 2 others like this.
  4. Censport

Censport Squier Talker

Sep 14, 2010
    Nashville/東京
    I had no idea as well.

Robb, dbrian66 and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  5. The Butcher

The Butcher Squier Talker

Jan 6, 2021
    AUS
    I assume you tried eveeything, but since it is all solderless I would wire one pickup straight to volume pot and output jack to do a "tap test" for each. I bought my EMGs individually so as to avoid this exact scenario... Bummer man.

dbrian66 and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  6. ALinPHL

ALinPHL Squier-Meister

Feb 18, 2021
    Phila,Pa
    Zero respect for intellectual property rights. None

daan, dbrian66 and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  7. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    That sucks. But it doesn’t surprise me. Heck, there are fake Epiphone pickups out there!

Did the guy at EMG say what it was that told him they were fake? Is it something that we can look out for?

8. shingh2002

shingh2002 Squier-holic

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    Ah that sucks man, I would have got caught out too! They look the real deal

That would be useful info.

9. JurnyWannaBe

Feb 14, 2019
    @dbrian66 & @shingh2002 here's the pertinent parts of the e-mail about the fake pups:

I hate to have to inform you that these are not legitimate EMGs. Our pickups have gold plated prongs and the mounting tabs protrude out from the bottom of the pickups, whereas these are flush with the bottom. You may want to contact whoever you bought them from.

Yeah, these are made overseas, so there is very little we can do about it legally other than trying to shut down people reselling them from the US. Definitely something you want to watch out for.

daan, -r3-, The Butcher and 4 others like this.
  10. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I just went and looked at some pictures online and I see the differences that he pointed out. That’s good to know. Thanks!

11. Exhead

Exhead Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2015
    Nevada
    Well that sucks.

Hadronic Spin and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  12. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

I would go one step further and say the previous owner probably didn't know either. They probably thought they were just getting a good deal.

13. JurnyWannaBe

Feb 14, 2019
    Based on what the sketchy wiring job looked like, I'm guessing the previous owner was a noob like myself.

dbrian66 likes this.
  14. Paruwi

Paruwi Squier-holic

Apr 28, 2019
    Kraut-Territory
    Every company that saves some $$$ by outsourcing production to China should know there is a 'return' in most cases
    regardless if its guitars, pickups or even strings or cars or whatever.....

They faked a complete Austrian city some years back

My brother works in a company where wood-working machines are built,
    he builds prototypes, on such machines there are sometimes holes drilled on wrong places,
    guess what ? They've seen the chinese built 'fake' with those wrong placed holes

15. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    That’s hilarious!

JurnyWannaBe and Paruwi like this.
  16. The Butcher

Jan 6, 2021
    AUS
    Hey thanks for sharing this info, seems tough to confidently buy EMG fitted guitars off the rack as you still can't tell until you 'pop the hood'.

17. JurnyWannaBe

Feb 14, 2019
    For sure ... my bubble got popped .... hard

Paruwi and dbrian66 like this.
  18. Dinomikesr

Dinomikesr Squier-Nut

Nov 25, 2019
    South-East
    Can you post a clear picture of the pins. I actually cannot tell from those how close they are to pickup body.

dbrian66 likes this.
  19. The Butcher

Jan 6, 2021
    AUS
    I think it's the mounting tabs where you screw the pickup in that has the height difference, not the prongs.

The fakes did not extend below the pickup and that was the give away, the pins are the same distance from the body but the fakes are steel and real EMGs are gold.

JurnyWannaBe and dbrian66 like this.
  20. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I couldn’t see the difference at first either. Here is a good picture of a real one. If you look at the little plastic support piece of the terminals, you can see the terminals pass through them and then turn down into the pickup. The ones @JurnyWannaBe has, it looks like the plastic supports are flush with the pickup.

0CD0FC6D-AA18-4DEB-BD5E-9FE8DF6F55B6.jpeg

JurnyWannaBe and shingh2002 like this.