Excellent Cheap Alnico 5 Strat Pickups(Amazon/AliExpress)

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by Hal Nico, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Robb

Robb Squier-holic

Jan 13, 2011
    Chertsey Canada.
    Nice playin bro

JurnyWannaBe and Hal Nico like this.
  2. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Squier-Meister

Dec 21, 2020
    UK
    DougMen, JurnyWannaBe and Triple Jim like this.
  3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Supporting Member

Again, it sounds excellent. I like a lot of compression on some songs.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  4. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Squier-Nut

Mar 9, 2020
    Greybull, WY
    Thanks for the demos, they sound great.

5. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Squier-Meister

Dec 21, 2020
    UK
    I had a little trouble with the,"B" string poles being a bit too extreme in the Stagger. I defeated this.

I couldn't find any small washers but remembered that I had some Metal punches in my garage and that some of our old UK Coinage( 1 penny 2 penny) are made of Cupronickel alloy which is magnetic/conductive.

Punched a couple out and dressed them up with some emery/Grit paper. The cheap Alnico 5 pickups I've just put on have the, "Vintage" Stagger and luckily only the," B" string it low in volume.

I've fitted them better now and glued them in place . As I love these pickups and even though they are were cheap I didn't want to risk pushing the poles up and ruining them

[​IMG]

They can be heard now on this latest demo,

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    DougMen likes this.
  6. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-holic

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Really cool to know. I've found out about the Fleor brand last year, which you can get on eBay, Amazon and perhaps Ali Express, which sells sets of Alico V staggered pole pickups for less than $30 a set and they're amazing.

I've already bought several other repro parts off that same brand and it's all pretty good quality and incredibly cheap. Definitely recommend it for everyone on a tight budget looking for "legit" quality parts.

7. Davepig

Davepig Squier Talker

Dec 3, 2020
    Aldershot (UK)
    Try PMB(PMB Hobbies) pickups in the UK - great cost-effective pickups. Got one(neck) in my Classic vibe Tele)

8. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Squier-Meister

Dec 21, 2020
    UK
    £17 for one pickup. I only paid £20 for a full set but thanks anyway :)

9. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    You know, a lot of those good cheap Chinese alnico sets come in staggered and flat pole versions.

10. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Nice playing. Sounds great.

Hal Nico likes this.
  11. Geode

Geode Squier-holic

Nov 30, 2020
    MB, SC
    Brilliant..!!
    Sounds like you've got 'em balanced... but, you can tell
    when you kick in that 'bugger..!!

Hal Nico likes this.
  12. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Squier-Meister

Dec 21, 2020
    UK
    Yes and in hindsight I wish I had replaced the Flat poles I took off with like-for-like but as these sound so good as-is it's a small fix I'm willing to take :)

There is also a difference in Vintage staggers between a lot of pickups so in future I'm going to stick to Flat Poles as I think VS are pretty much redundant or at least for me :)

13. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I have some Strats with staggered and some with flat, and I honestly don't really hear much of a difference in string balance. If I played you a recording of one vs. the other using the same settings of amp and pedal, you wouldn't be able to tell which was which.

14. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Squier-Meister

Dec 21, 2020
    UK
    I agree to a point. Live on-stage and or at volume through an amp it's not such a problem but when recording, especially in a very quiet environment using amp modelling and my sensitivity it is a problem that had to be addressed :)

I don't have OCD but if one of the cylinders on my 1999 Suzuki SV650 V-Twin Motorcycle misses sparking more than once on a ride I have to cure it ;-)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    Viking and Geode like this.