Ever Write Stuff You Cant Play?

Discussion in 'MyMusic Place' started by DoctorBB, Apr 30, 2020.

1. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    I’m always writing and composing songs and instrumental tracks and sometimes I get an idea for a riff or lead line that is hard. To record it I’ll play a bar at a time or so and edit it all together. Well, when it comes time to perform it live, I sometimes have to dumb it down to pull it off. On really tricky parts even lots of practice doesn’t help. And I sometimes forget how I played a part and just wind up playing something that fits. It got me to thinking if this ever happens to pros. Just board and thinking out loud.

strummer101 likes this.
  2. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
  3. beagle

beagle Squier-Nut

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Indeed. It's moderately annoying.

4. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Geez, I even play stuff I cant play. How awesome am I?..

VealCutlet and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  5. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    It's bad enough when I can't play stuff somebody else wrote. But yeah, that idea you get in your head.... and you can't execute your own idea. Happens to me and everybody I've ever gigged with.
    You are not alone.

6. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    When my band was active, we played thrash-style metal at the edge of our skill level. Regularly while playing live our drummer would add 10-20 bpm in his excitement and it would sometimes make it more or less impossible to play our own riffs.

During our hiatus I let my playing lapse a bit and when I got back into the guitar I couldn't play all of the songs we wrote in the 2000's. That was my benchmark for knowing when I was actually starting to improve my playing again, when I got back to where I was in 2009.

7. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Squier-Nut

Sep 6, 2014
    Va
    I've got a song I wrote that is giving me the 'I can't play the part and sing the line at the same time' blues. My other guitar player likely cannot play it at all.

So it's just practice it, practice it, practice it, then blow it live.

VealCutlet likes this.