Evening. First post , humbuckers in 87 bullet

treywilliams

Squier Talker
Jan 23, 2022
Usa
Hello,
I’m going to replace Tex special bridge pick up with lollar imperial, 87 squire bullet has only 1 volume and 1 tone, wiring should be no different being a humbucker, correct?
Also, anyone know where I could find HSS pickgaurd for the bullet with 2 knobs and pickgaurd jack?
I may just route the original with dremel. Thanks in advance

Michael7

Dr. Squier
Jan 12, 2010
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Just to be clear, do you have one like the red guitar below? If so, I don't think it was ever offered by Squier in HSS with a pick guard. However, Squier did offer a similar guitar that didn't use a guard, which is shown in the second pic. The second guitar has trim rings around each of the pickups.

Both of my guitars below are 1987 Bullet models and were made in Korea. It is commonly referred to as a Bullet One model from the head stock logo with a 1 in the star. They have 2 point tremolo pivoting on small wood screws. The necks have Strat type headstocks, but have Tele type squared neck heels, not the rounded Strat type.

If you have your old guard, it could be copied for the overall shape, but modified to accept the bridge bucker.

If you scroll down this page, you will see a PG35602 guard on a 1987 SSS Squier Bullet. That is probably the closest thing you will find, other than looking for a used one on Ebay or Reverb.com. It would be an extra cost for that mod, I'm sure.
http://www.pickguardplanet.com/other-fender-guitars-fender-squier-bullet/

Since both Fender and Squier had similar Bullet models, please read the notes at the top of that page. The guards on the different products look very similar, but aren't necessarily interchangeable.

IMG_20190526_123725942.jpg 2007-01-13 18.45.07.jpg 2007-01-13 18.42.35.jpg 2007-01-13 18.43.04.jpg

treywilliams

Squier Talker
Jan 23, 2022
Usa
Just to be clear, do you have one like the red guitar below? If so, I don't think it was ever offered by Squier in HSS with a pick guard. However, Squier did offer a similar guitar that didn't use a guard, which is shown in the second pic. The second guitar has trim rings around each of the pickups.

Both of my guitars below are 1987 Bullet models and were made in Korea. It is commonly referred to as a Bullet One model from the head stock logo with a 1 in the star. They have 2 point tremolo pivoting on small wood screws. The necks have Strat type headstocks, but have Tele type squared neck heels, not the rounded Strat type.

If you have your old guard, it could be copied for the overall shape, but modified to accept the bridge bucker.

If you scroll down this page, you will see a PG35602 guard on a 1987 SSS Squier Bullet. That is probably the closest thing you will find, other than looking for a used one on Ebay or Reverb.com. It would be an extra cost for that mod, I'm sure.
http://www.pickguardplanet.com/other-fender-guitars-fender-squier-bullet/

Since both Fender and Squier had similar Bullet models, please read the notes at the top of that page. The guards on the different products look very similar, but aren't necessarily interchangeable.

View attachment 224362 View attachment 224363 View attachment 224364 View attachment 224365
Hi. Thanks for replying, yes it is the exact guitar. I may just route pickgaurd with dremel after tracing. Thanks

treywilliams

Squier Talker
Jan 23, 2022
Usa
Hello Trey, welcome to the board!

If you're just going to put the humbucker in without any split switching, etc., it would be wired the same as the single coil, once you connect its two halves and make sure the polarities are correct.
Thanks for replying, I kind of figured, but I thought I’d ask the experts. Appreciate it.

Shaytan

Squier-holic
Apr 10, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I'd seriously advise against messing with the original 'guard. It's easy to mess things up (been there, done that) and hard to make it look pretty, in the end you'll just damage an original part of your retro guitar.

Two cheapskate options, both based on the offerings from Fleor, a budget Chinese brand you can find on the likes of eBay and from my experience, while some of their stuff is crap, as far as pgs go, you get well served for the price :

First, perhaps the ideal one though more expensive, is to buy a blank and have some local machinist/ carpenter make a replica out of it using yours as routing template. You could either get another 'guard routed for an humbucker for them to use for that change, or even print a full size template of that.

The second and most DIY friendly would be to get an HSS pickguard lacking the mounting holes. With sandpaper, woodworking files and coping saws you can modify it as needed, and trace the holes from the body onto it, drilling it from the back and completing the ordeal by countersinking. The more it differs from your guitar's original pg, the more work you'll have. As an example, I've done both jobs myself already, here's the results:

IMG_20210628_171806.jpg Fleor black SSS pickguard with no mounting holes. I wanted to avoid drilling into the body for the swap. Took three tries for this final result which still triggers my OCD a little bit; as well as sanding the neck cutout to fit. The shape was a close match to the stock one, though.

IMG_20200118_125603(1).jpg IMG_20200504_170125.jpg
Fleor cream HSS, swapped into an originally SSS guitar. The shape was completely different and required lots of modifications, both on the pickguard as well as on the guitar body, to fit properly. Not a perfect result, though fairly acceptable for a first try (before and after).

treywilliams

Squier Talker
Jan 23, 2022
Usa
the output jack is just in the hole that the second tone pot usually goes in, ...right?
I'd seriously advise against messing with the original 'guard. It's easy to mess things up (been there, done that) and hard to make it look pretty, in the end you'll just damage an original part of your retro guitar.

Two cheapskate options, both based on the offerings from Fleor, a budget Chinese brand you can find on the likes of eBay and from my experience, while some of their stuff is crap, as far as pgs go, you get well served for the price :

First, perhaps the ideal one though more expensive, is to buy a blank and have some local machinist/ carpenter make a replica out of it using yours as routing template. You could either get another 'guard routed for an humbucker for them to use for that change, or even print a full size template of that.

The second and most DIY friendly would be to get an HSS pickguard lacking the mounting holes. With sandpaper, woodworking files and coping saws you can modify it as needed, and trace the holes from the body onto it, drilling it from the back and completing the ordeal by countersinking. The more it differs from your guitar's original pg, the more work you'll have. As an example, I've done both jobs myself already, here's the results:

View attachment 224405 Fleor black SSS pickguard with no mounting holes. I wanted to avoid drilling into the body for the swap. Took three tries for this final result which still triggers my OCD a little bit; as well as sanding the neck cutout to fit. The shape was a close match to the stock one, though.

View attachment 224407 View attachment 224406
Fleor cream HSS, swapped into an originally SSS guitar. The shape was completely different and required lots of modifications, both on the pickguard as well as on the guitar body, to fit properly. Not a perfect result, though fairly acceptable for a first try (before and after).
I really don’t want to alter the original pg, I did find a website where you can trace yours and pick materials out and they do it for you. Not sure on price as of right now. It is really tough finding the squier bullet pickgaurd online, used or replicate. Guitar looks nice, thanks for sharing.

Latest posts