Epiphones - thoughts and experiences

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Ant_McEwan, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Dimarzio54

Dimarzio54 Squier Talker

Feb 23, 2020
    NYC
    Love my Epiphone guitars. I have 2005 Dot big chunky neck with OX4 PAF's and all Faber hardware. The other is a 2008 Les Paul Standard rewired, new hardware and pickups. They are both killer. IMG_0097.JPG IMG_2720(2).JPG

2. cka73

cka73 Squier Talker

Mar 6, 2020
    Jackson,MS
    Love these pics and the passion. Epiphones are great guitars in general. I've played a lot more stinkers with Gibson on the headstock than Epiphone. No offense to Gibson owners as I am one as well.

Treynor and Ant_McEwan like this.
  3. fadetoz

fadetoz Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I have had a few Epiphone LPs and they have all been great. I currently only have one that is a Gold Top and don't plan to let it go.
    Want a DOT eventually.
    PXL_20201201_222801537.jpg

4. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    What ? You got two for one ?

fuelish likes this.
  5. fuelish

fuelish Squier-holic

If only.....paid for a plaintop, received a plustop....

DrBeGood and fadetoz like this.
  6. yoreel

yoreel Squier Talker

Mar 10, 2020
    UK
    This 90's Epiphone SG plays & sounds as good as any Gibson SG I have played, the build quality is superb.

6sxMuxB7S22aRdVOkJM8wQ_thumb_11e7.jpg rLR6SUcwSfGVwmGVPBIipg_thumb_11e8.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_11f1.jpg pn9r8IatSlubVxtzXcmNMQ_thumb_11ea.jpg

DrBeGood, drewcp and Treynor like this.
  7. White Dog

White Dog Squier Talker

Oct 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Epiphone's ?
    Like the looks of them.
    Like the price of them.
    Like the way they sound when other people play them.
    Don't hate them, but they're not for me.
    Had a lower end Les Paul model and SG model. Had about $500.00 wrapped up in the two combined.
    Drummer in my old band was an Epiphone lover and collector...so I traded both to him for a 2014 MIM Standard Strat in Midnight Wine with Rosewood fretboard; and never looked back. To this day, we are both satisfied with our choice.

Viking and Davis Sharp like this.
  8. jcmathews

jcmathews Squier-Meister

Sep 15, 2019
    Gig Harbor, WA
    I've done projects using Epi LPs that turned out great. To me, most of the older LPs need a pickup swap; they're just too muddy for my taste. I'm told the newer Probucker pickups are better. That said, I only get along well with chunkier necks, so most of the Epi LPs (except the 50s style) and I aren't a good match. But generally speaking, I think they're great for the price.

9. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
  10. BarnyardShark1979

BarnyardShark1979 Squier-Meister

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    Last night I upgraded some components on my Ltd. Ed. TV Yellow Epiphone SG Jr. I love this thing, very fun to play, weighs like, I dunno, maybe two pounds. Definitely lighter than my Bullet Mustang, which is a pretty light-weight guitar.
    [​IMG]
    Put in a set of Gotoh tuners I had laying around.

[​IMG]
    GFS Dream 90 & a Kwik-Plug harness. If I ever decide to swap it out for a humbucker, the tone pot push-pulls for coil splitting. This is my first time messing around with a P90-style pickup, so far I like it a lot.

[​IMG]
    Musiclily bridge, adjustable for more accurate intonation than the stock bar-with-ridges bridge.

[​IMG]
    All done, ready for some action.

Treynor, Viking and Davis Sharp like this.