Epi SG Special bridge question

CV50sFan90

Squier-Meister
Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
Just had an Aged Pelham Blue SG Special delivered yesterday. Opened it up today and noticed that the bottom of the bridge pickup is damn near level with the guitar top, and the bridge itself is about as high up as it'll go. The action is playable, which leads me to believe that if I lower everything down to "normal" (to me) height, string height will be too low and it'll buzz to beat hell or have some other issue. Is this typical for these bridges, or is mine just defective from the factory? Unable to post pictures right now, but I'll update the post with pictures ASAP.

Again, the bottom of the bridge pickup is level with the top of the guitar and the bridge itself is cranked way up. Doesn't seem right to me, but I've never had a wrap tail or P90 equipped guitar, so yeah. Any help would be great 👍

dpang2836

Squier-holic
Double Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2022
IDAHO
I have an LP Special with the P-90's. My Bridge is all the way down and PU's are 3/8 to 1/2 inch above the Top of the Wood. I still had to Shim bottom of Heel!

Shine

Squier-holic
Nov 29, 2016
West Coast Landia
I bought an SG Junior a couple of months back and the bridge was cranked pretty high. To the eye the pickup looked OK, but the action was very stiff.

This is my first wrap around bridge, so after poking around I found this video. Using his tips, I roughed in a setup by lowering the bridge screws a bit (without measuring) and it plays much better. I have yet to really fine-tune it, which may involve adjusting the truss rod a bit too.

I hope this helps:

How do Wraparound Bridges Work? | Guitar Tech Tips | Ep. 42 | Thomann - YouTube

CV50sFan90

Squier-Meister
Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
Is it a bolt on neck? Could just need shimmed to get the neck angle right.
Nope, it's the aged Pelham Blue set neck with the P90s. I'm pretty sure whoever set the neck at the factory screwed up, got it as playable as possible and then shipped it out. I've been playing around with the setup and it doesn't seem like I'm gonna be able to bring the bridge/pickups height down while retaining no fret buzz and good intonation. Last ditch effort, I'm gonna bring it in to my go to luthier down the way and see what he has to say. Unfortunately though, I think it's gonna have to get sent back.

Thanks for the feedback, y'all!

DrBeGood

Dr. Squier
Dec 9, 2014
QC, CANADA
Nope, it's the aged Pelham Blue set neck with the P90s. I'm pretty sure whoever set the neck at the factory screwed up, got it as playable as possible and then shipped it out. I've been playing around with the setup and it doesn't seem like I'm gonna be able to bring the bridge/pickups height down while retaining no fret buzz and good intonation. Last ditch effort, I'm gonna bring it in to my go to luthier down the way and see what he has to say. Unfortunately though, I think it's gonna have to get sent back.

Thanks for the feedback, y'all!
Is this a recent SG, from the Inspired by Gibson series ? If so, you'd be the first I hear of that got a lemon.
Have you done setups before, like truss rod tweaking and intonation and all ? Bring it to your luthier, he'll make it right I'm sure.

CV50sFan90

Squier-Meister
Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
Is this a recent SG, from the Inspired by Gibson series ? If so, you'd be the first I hear of that got a lemon.
Have you done setups before, like truss rod tweaking and intonation and all ? Bring it to your luthier, he'll make it right I'm sure.
Yeah, it's brand new. I didn't see it being marketed as an "Inspired-By-Gibson" guitar, but then again I wasn't really looking for that. I'd assume that it is, though. I do have experience with doing setups, using the truss rod and just generally working on my guitars, but this is my first experience with a wrap tailpiece and P90s (not that the pickups are pertinent to this issue). I tried messing around with it, but ended up dropping it off with my go-to luthier just down the road, and he said that it's fine but definitely needs a setup. Just a lack of knowledge on my part and a really funky factory setup. No worries.

Edit: I think that part of the reason for why I kinda panicked about it was because of how many good things I've heard about the new Epiphones. So I took one look at the bridge & pickups and they looked really off in regard to their positioning, so I just kinda figured something was wrong with it.

Last edited:

DrBeGood

Dr. Squier
Dec 9, 2014
QC, CANADA
Yeah, it's brand new. I didn't see it being marketed as an "Inspired-By-Gibson" guitar, but then again I wasn't really looking for that. I'd assume that it is, though. I do have experience with doing setups, using the truss rod and just generally working on my guitars, but this is my first experience with a wrap tailpiece and P90s (not that the pickups are pertinent to this issue). I tried messing around with it, but ended up dropping it off with my go-to luthier just down the road, and he said that it's fine but definitely needs a setup. Just a lack of knowledge on my part and a really funky factory setup. No worries.

Edit: I think that part of the reason for why I kinda panicked about it was because of how many good things I've heard about the new Epiphones. So I took one look at the bridge & pickups and they looked really off in regard to their positioning, so I just kinda figured something was wrong with it.
My 2020 Special LP was the same, maybe worst. Wraparound was sky high and the pickup cover was touching the strings. Everything badly needed attention. I set it up and action was low and smooth, no buzz.

DrBeGood

Dr. Squier
Dec 9, 2014
QC, CANADA
Definitely looks a lot more my speed than what mine came with. Wish I would've remembered to take pictures before I dropped it off.
That is once the setup was done. Don,t be afraid to lower the neck pup as low as it'll go. Remember to ALWAYS push down on the cover as your screw it down, if not you'll likely snap one of those long flimsy screws, and then ...

AxelMorisson

Squier-Nut
Nov 15, 2021
Fagaras, Romania
Kinda late to the party but my experience with wraparound Epis is limited to a SL LP . However the setup from the factory was not. Simply it was thrown (pretty nicely though) together and that's that. I had to do all setup myself- afterwards reasonable action and playability were restored - now she's a keeper...Trying to play out of the box after a quick tuning made me realize the tail was too high , the pickups too low and generally the action was a mile high give or take ... Now I dropped it to 0.5 mm at the second fret (and 2 mm at the last) , did not have to shim the neck , no to very low fretbuzz. I did adjust the pickups by ear- first things first, the strings, when capo'ed at the last fret should not touch the neck pickup (d'oh..but still) and the tail end pickup or bridge should not be too low as the volume must ideally stay the same while switching from one pickup to the other...From the mechanical clearance (22nd fret capo , string does not touch pickup cover) to optimal position is decided from : no too high magnetic drag on the strings (when too close they distort like 'ell and kill sustain too) and equal volume to the bridge pickup - at least that's how I like'em.
Just did all that to a Epi SG with EMGs for a friend. Never seen one in the wild and he does not remember switching pickups.. okay he did not buy it new but the previous owner did not "look like a modder" as he said. Looks do not a modder make I say.

CV50sFan90

Squier-Meister
Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
So ? Any positive results ?
Sorry this took me so long! Yep! I typically don't shy away from tinkering with my guitars and seeing them up, but this is my first guitar with P90s, wrap tailpiece, etc, so I brought it over to my preferred local tech and had him sort it out. Plays like a dream now.

DrBeGood

Dr. Squier
Dec 9, 2014
QC, CANADA
Can we see it ? Adding to whole guitar pictures, can you also take on of the pups like I did ? Curious to see where he positioned them.

CV50sFan90

Squier-Meister
Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota

Attachments

• IMG_20220727_192018473.jpg
    IMG_20220727_192018473.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20220727_191958828.jpg
    IMG_20220727_191958828.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20220727_192032598.jpg