Emotional attachment to neck (long)

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Southguitar, May 3, 2021.

1. Southguitar

Southguitar Squier Talker

May 2, 2021
    Tennessee
    Hi guys, been a long time, had to make a new account because it's been so long
    Just need some opinions on options I need to choose from.

I have two Squier babies, a sweet Super Deluxe Daphne blue, and a Classic Vibe 50's Fiesta red.

I bought both new, first the Deluxe, I think it was 279 dollars,. I just love my Squire deluxe neck. It is fat and just sits in my hand so well. It has wonderful rolled edges and cool curly grains that are unique.

But red is my favorite color and I had to have that 50's CV Fiesta red. But, when I got the CV I just could not get used to that darn thin neck compared to my Deluxe neck, as well as not liking the old slot type tuners on the CV cause on stage I didn't like having to cut the string length to go down in that hole.

So, I swapped the necks. I put my Deluxe neck on my CV and kept on trucking. I had my fav neck and my red body.

I was a gigging musician raising 2 kids alone and I was a solo act using backing tracks and it was a meager existence but I got both kids raised. Later I got ill (another story) and stoped gigging about 5 years ago. But I just kept on playing and recording with my fav guitar neck on my red CV body.

Here are my 2 babies. But I need to mention, yeah, at the time I was embarrassed using a Shirt live and, well, you know, I sanded off the Squier name on the headstock. Silly I know.
    Hm, tried to upload a pic but it looks like I have to have it on a separate site with a link.

But anyway, the last few days I have been playing the deluxe with the CV neck and realize that playing while sitting and recording and such is much easier with the thin neck and another great thing is that the CV neck has hardly ever been used and has like zero fret wear, so it like playing a new neck.

So just a while ago this morning I swapped both necks back to their original bodies.

So, here is my situation. I have a new Monoprice Indio 66 Deluxe plus gold top les paul on the way right now, might be here tomorrow. I just don't really need 2 strats, the les paul, and I also have an Ibanez AG75 Jazz box as well plus a bass, an acoustic, and even a Ukulele.

So I'm torn. You know what, I feel obligated to that great deluxe neck. She has done a lot of gigs with me over the years mounted on both bodies. I'll paste a yt link to a clip from one of my old gigs using the deluxe on stage before I bought the CV in a response to this thread cause Im doing this on my phone.

But this deluxe neck has been my partner for many gigs. This neck has helped me make money for Christmas gifts to my children. I have paid many an electric bill with money made with this neck.

And now I realized a few days ago that the frets are worn down and soon it will need a regret. It still plays well but the feta are low and I don't have the money to send it off somewhere and have it refretted, and of course the Squier name has been sanded off. But I OWE this neck, she has been there for many a gig with me.

I could just sell the whole deluxe guitar, but I don't even see any Squier deluxes on eBay, maybe one white one the other day. And with the Squier name sanded off I probably couldn't get much out of it.

I could buy an Xavier neck to go on it for 50 dollars and I would love to see that daphne blue body with a rosewood dark neck. That way I could use the original neck and maybe attempt a refret myself, but I would probably screw it up. If I take it off a just put it in the closet then someday when I kick the bucket my kids will probably toss it in a dumpster not even knowing that it contributed heavily to their upbringing, uhg, I hate the thought of that.

I would love to see it go to someone who could refret it themselves and actually get her out gigging again like she deserves.

I could keep her but I live in a 1 bedroom apartment and just don't have room for 6 guitars, my closet it stacked to the top now. I only do home recording now so I really don't need 2 strats (Though I do love the Duncan designed pups in this deluxe even though I have CS fat 50's in my CV strat. These DD pups are modern sounding and powerful with a huge clarity that I like for recording.

Anyway, this is getting long so I will post it and then figure out how to post a pic and a vid link showing my old Daphne baby in action at a gig.

Anyone else ever get attached to a guitar and actually feel obligated to it if it has been a partner for years and helped you pay bills and record and such?. Or are your guitars only inanimate objects to you?

2. Southguitar

May 2, 2021
    Tennessee
    Here is a clip of various songs using this fine Squier deluxe and this neck has played many a gig attached to my red CV as well. What a champ she has been.

3. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    Wow! Stellar!
    Thanks for sharing!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  4. Southguitar

May 2, 2021
    Tennessee
    Thanks Blue, I appreciate that. I'm always self conscious about my playing, I am self taught and know nothing about music theory and can't do any of that super fast stuff these guys do these days. I'm pushing 60 years old now and just consider myself a bluesy type guitarist. So it's always nice to think of someone else enjoying my playing.

I'm right now setting up the guitars after swapping the necks back and sure enough I ran into one big reason I didn't like the CV neck. I couldn't save the high E string and that little hole wouldn't hold it so I put a new string on and fiddled with that damn slotted tuner for 0 minutes before I finally got it wound. But I got the CV playing well, then grabbed the deluxe and sure enough she was playing great, only needed to raise a clue saddles a tad and I smiled as I played. She is in my lap as I type this on my phone. Maybe I'm overreacting to the feet wire being low because she is playing great with suer low string action. It will need new frets sometime in the near future but right now she is playing great.

I like really low action and both necks are giving it to me.

Jeez, I may just have to keep her and find somewhere to just keep 6 guitars. I'm hoping my new Indio Les Paul will be here tomorrow. Should I sand off that brand name? Lol

5. mwmeci

mwmeci Squier-Meister

Jun 28, 2015
    Minneapolis
    Great song, great rendition.

Kenneth Mountain and Southguitar like this.
  6. Southguitar

May 2, 2021
    Tennessee
    Thanks much. That gig was at a Winery in Knoxville. I used to play that gig all the time during the summer months. That video loses its time with the sound during those last couple song clips.

I'll probably never play gigs again even though I have all my equipment. I haven't played a gig in roughly 5 years and would need to practice heavily for a month or 2 just to remember how to play most of my songs. I can practice in this apartment and also I would never be able to haul my equipment and such in and out of my apartment to the car because my apartment would be broken into the first time I had to leave it alone for a clue days.

I had a lot of great times gigging as a solo guy. I have also been in several bands earlier but when I divorced and got full custody of my kids I just couldn't afford to play gigs with a band and have to split the money 4 or 5 ways.

So I started using backing tracks, midi mostly and even recording my own as well. I used the early version of EZ drummer, then would play my own bass guitar sometimes if I didn't have a good midi file. I also used a digitech vocalist harmony unit which I still have and I would program my harmonies to turn on during the choruses, you can hear it coming on in some of the clips.

Alone, I was able to make better money. Some gigs, like New Years I could make 500 bucks. Many nights I would find a hundred dollar bill in my tip jar. Sometimes I would play 3 or 4 gigs in one weekend. I would do a day job then ack up and do a night gig the same night.

I'll make another response showing a Neil Young song clip I did at a New Years Eve party not long before the night with the other clips. Using my phone to post I don't know how to open up other pages without messing up my post.

7. Southguitar

May 2, 2021
    Tennessee
  8. Southguitar

May 2, 2021
    Tennessee
    You can hear the Digitech turning on and pitch shifting my voice for harmony during that chorus. I love Neil Young

9. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    If you click on "upload a file" underneath where you write a post, then you can select any pic that's on your laptop or phone, just select it's location in the pop-up box that appears.

10. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

You are a warrior ! Your asking us to help you decide which kid to let go ? I can't be part of this process ! In your heart you know you have to keep both ! Your thinking of letting a squier go to keep a Indio LP ? No Sir ! Find a way to keep them both !

Amazing Story - thanks for sharing !

11. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-Nut

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    I would let the Ibanez and Indio go in a heartbeat. I am sure they are great guitars. In grad school in social gerontology, I did music therapy as a volunteer but I don't anymore so I gave the guitar to my neighbor. It's inexpensive but it does have mahogany and rosewood which you just don't find anymore near this price range. But I have limited space.

I inherited a vintage Kamaka ukulele and I gave that to my brother and it's worth more than any guitar I have.

I have a wonderful Ibanez Artcore semi but I never use it and it screams through my drummer's collection of Marshall stacks. That will go, too.

I will just go with strat and humbucker solidbody LTD in my 800 square foot cottage. I found that recording and having gigged a lot I would have main guitar and a spare snd going with three in either was too much to manage. If I was a drummer, for instance, I would be fine with a single bass drum and never more than a five piece set.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  12. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Keep them both. You'll regret it in the end. Trust me.

13. Leo Jazzmaster

Leo Jazzmaster Squier-Nut

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    Awesome playing! Just my opinion, but why not keep them all?

14. Southguitar

May 2, 2021
    Tennessee
    Yeah, I may. I was just thinking that now that I only record at home that I just don't need 2 strats.

I really only need one strat sound, a Les Paul humbucker sound, an acoustic sound, a jazz humbucker sound

I bought the Ibanez AG75 at a local pawn shop and probably wouldn't have if I had thought about it. But I do like it, it plays well and sounds so jazzy.

I'm thinking what I will end up doing is keeping both strats, buy a Guitarfetish neck for 54 dollars in rosewood and put it on the Daphne blue deluxe body. Then I can use my beloved deluxe maple neck for experimenting and learning refretting. I would love to get some dark stain like those roasted maple colors, really deep tint, then buy some new frets and buy some fret pullers and a fret hammer and attempt my first fret replacement job.

I wish I could afford to find a Nashville Lighter who could give it a roasted dark color and have stainless steel frets and a bone but installed but that all would cost dobably 350 to r00 dollars, more than I paid for the entire Squier deluxe.

That still brings up the question of why aren't there any Squier deluxes on eBay?. That seems really strange as it seemed to be a popular model back in the day and was a steal at 279.00 new. It is every bit the quality of the classic vibes in my opinion, my deluxe maple neck being even better to me. The Duncan designed pups are better imo than the pups that came with the CV, which I replaced with the fat 50's and even now, imo, the DD hold their own against the cs fats.

Trying to add pics of my babies, I'm going to try the add file thing mentioned

Attached Files:

Leo Jazzmaster likes this.