Egnater Tweaker 15 with a replacement Transformer

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by howserx, Sep 23, 2020.

1. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    So an add for a Egnater Tweaker 15 popped up for sale yesterday. $300 which (I think) is a decent price for one of these. The only thing I'm questioning is this line:
    "The power transformer has been switched to an old Hammond" I don't believe in vintage Mojo, just if my ears enjoy the sounds it makes for the price. What do you fella's think about this? Upgrade? Does this make it more prone to failure in the future? Thoughts in general?

(and the power switches are in the front!!! ;))

drewcp likes this.
  2. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

It depends on the age of the Tweaker. IIRC the early ones were prone to transformer failures. The PT may have been replaced proactively or after a failure. If the original one failed, the owner may have been hesitant about putting an identical PT back in the head.

IMO here's no mojo involved with transformers. There are transformers that work and transformers that work a bit differently. That "differently" may be better to your ears.

The original import PT may have delivered the power it should have, but if I was building an amp I'd go with Hammond as one of the reliable choices.

drewcp likes this.
  3. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    I forgot about the original problems with the tweaker. I think I may just ask to come hear it. Sounds good = sale. The more I read about OT and amp design the more I remember what my marks were in college electronics(not the best). Just too many variables involved to just say Upgrade/downgrade/sidegrade...

Thanks for the response!

vinbur likes this.
  4. fuelish

fuelish Squier-holic

Is it a head, or combo? I wouldn't buy a used Tweaker head for $300, especially if someone changed something up internally...mine was $349 new a few years ago. As noted above, could be the original transformer failed, or the Hammond was put in as a prophylactic, I'd offer less, see what they say. My Tweaker head has been reliable, and it is a good sounding, fun, versatile amp. I have no advice either way, really, I'm "funny" about buying used, especially if there are unoriginal parts involved, but that's just me

Treehouse and drewcp like this.
  5. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    Sorry, I should have mentioned I'm in Canada so double the prices of gear... New they went for about $650 I think. It's so depressing reading the prices of gear other members find... At $350 I would have already bought a new one long ago. LOL.

Oh and it's the head. I've no room to store combos.

fuelish likes this.
  6. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    That's about 225 USD, which is a fair price. They tend to trend around 250 or a little more.

I don't know if the transformer is an upgrade, but if it is, for less than the cost elsewhere it seems like a good buy to me

...if it's something you were already interested in buying

7. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    Checking it out tomorrow.

drewcp likes this.
  8. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

Did you buy it? We haven't seen pictures, yet. ;)

9. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    Sorry, I did get it and played it a bit. Sounds great but... There had been some modes, 6L6 instead of the stock 6V6, that's fine, I have a 6V6 amp already and I like the 6L6s better.
    There was also a broken switch that I didn't notice at first. (broken as in the lever is gone) It's right by the effects loop so I assumed it was to shut off the loop. I pull the chassis to have a look and I'm no amp tech, but my brain still works sometimes. the switch is wired in to the same part of the board that the loop jacks are wired to so that's what the switch is for. Then I go one step farther and fiddle with the switch. so everyone knows now where this story is going....

I just got it back from the shop a few days ago. Everything working and a lesson learned, If it ain't broken and you don't know what you are doing then don't fix it.

It is a nice amp. There's enough switches to get what you want out of it. Clean, Edge of Break up and Dirt. My Vox Night Train has better growl but Cleans are Kinda Flat on it so this fits in the family nicely.

I'll take some pictures tonight. I just sold a guitar and have cash in pocked just in time to see a listing for a laney cub! My guitar GAS has turned into Amp GAS!

drewcp likes this.
  10. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I think I had either 6L6 or 5881 tubes in my Tweaker when I had it. Definitely an improvement over the stock 6V6 offering in my opinion.

11. fuelish

fuelish Squier-holic

My Tweaker has no switch next to the effects loop...although I've had it for a few years, now, maybe they've added even MORE switches???!!!??? LOL....or is yours a combo? I have the head, already had a 1x12 cab

12. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    No, It's a head and someone added the switch as a mod. This one is fairly old maybe 2008, based off the serial Number.

13. pgsdixon

pgsdixon Squier Talker

Jul 26, 2020
    Aurora, IL
    Unless you've got a Soldano it shouldn't matter much, but I'd still try and talk him down about $50.

14. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

Cool. Thanks!

15. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    Picture time! I know amps aren't as sexy as a new guitar but here we go! Tweaker 15
    Through the evh 112
    6L6s They barely fit in the enclosure.
    Here's the switch in question that needed fixing. No advanced maths needed to guess what it was for...

Here's and extra. This came in last night just as I was getting ready to leave work. My early xmas present

drewcp likes this.
  16. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

Who told you amps aren't sexy? :D Looks good to me. If those tubes start to cook and melt the vinyl, you can switch to shorter bottles, like 5881s.

Coincidentially, I was looking at the Joyo heads late last night. I don't need one, really. I should be saving my nickels for a blonde Tremolux head if I'm looking for a head at all.

17. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    I didn't need it either lol! but the AC15H on my GAS list is $850 (CND) so this was a little cheaper... I plugged it in last night for a test run and though "wow, this isn't loud for 20W" forgot I had an attenuator in the chain... Sounded OK, but honestly, I played it for 5 minutes, so any opinions wouldn't be fair. I'll do a better review later. I've boxed it up and put it away for xmas.