Duo Sonic pickup swap

Discussion in 'Squier Duo-Sonic & Jagmaster' started by RoyalWe, May 23, 2020.

1. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    I was digging through my work bench in the garage the other day and came across the pickups from an old Harmony 02815. The guitar had been used as a parts donor for my box guitar years ago, but the pickups have been sitting in a box. They’re odd, slightly narrower than a strat PU, with a metal base plate, staggered poles but no bottom bobbin, and what looks like a rubberized magnet. Well, the only guitar I have with strat style pickups is my duo sonic, and since there’s no band practice or gigs coming up, I found myself with a unique opportunity to mess with this guitars sound for fun. So I pulled out the original electronics, soldered up a whole new harness to make this a simple “swap everything” change over. Gotta say, they sound MUCH better in the duo than they did in the original Harmony. The Harmony has both pickups always on, with a master tone and volume, and the resulting sound was pretty lifeless and boring. In the Duo Sonic, they sound bright and full. Decent strat like tones, with a little more spank. I presume because of the metal baseplates. Only complaint, I need to switch the leads on one of the pickups, because the middle position is out of phase, giving a very thin & nasally tone. Kinda cool, but pretty useless. I’m going to make a video once I get around to it, I’ll post it here when I do.
    DBB13839-E6F2-4A17-A481-787304A770E6.jpeg A5D9AA5D-1914-4006-9CC8-2AF5205A0F2A.jpeg

Viking, daan and BorderRadio like this.
  2. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    I would suspect that a big change in tonality from one guitar to another would depend more on the tone circuit (capacitor and pot) and PU placement. But there are so many things that can effect the tone. It also looks like the PUs are potted. Very nice looking Duo Sonic BTW!

RoyalWe likes this.
  3. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    Thanks! Fair enough point, I’m sure there’s many reasons for the difference in sound. I do believe a big one is the position and wiring. Dunno if you’ve ever heard one, this video is the best I’ve found at getting a good example of its tone. In a word, underwhelming. .

daan likes this.
  4. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    I kind of like how that Harmony sounds; very indie rock. I'm looking forward to hearing how your duo sonic sounds with those PUs.