Dual P90 Telecaster.

jrizz1

Squier Talker
Apr 23, 2020
Arizona
Newer Player with a Question for all you builders. I would like a Dual P90 Telecaster. I cannot find a kit to build. The closest I've found was a Fretwire Offset with dual P90's. (Is this kit worth buying)? My question is: Could I buy a Squire Bullet / Affinity Tele and route out the pickup cavities for Soapbar P90's? Would this lead to other problems such as what bridge to use? Any other things you can think of that will cause issues would be very helpful. Is there a better brand Tele to buy that would solve any build problems? Thanks for any advise. I would prefer a Tele, (like the one pictured), Regular or Thinline, over an Offset Kit.

Attachments

• Tele with P90's.jpg
    Tele with P90's.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 34

drewcp

Dr. Squier
Staff member
Dec 14, 2018
Saint Paul, MN
Newer Player with a Question for all you builders. I would like a Dual P90 Telecaster. I cannot find a kit to build. The closest I've found was a Fretwire Offset with dual P90's. (Is this kit worth buying)? My question is: Could I buy a Squire Bullet / Affinity Tele and route out the pickup cavities for Soapbar P90's? Would this lead to other problems such as what bridge to use? Any other things you can think of that will cause issues would be very helpful. Is there a better brand Tele to buy that would solve any build problems? Thanks for any advise. I would prefer a Tele, (like the one pictured), Regular or Thinline, over an Offset Kit.

The model in your image isn't a kit built guitar. Are you looking specifically to build/assemble something yourself instead of just buying one?

dpang2836

Squier-holic
Double Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2022
IDAHO
If you are good with a Router, OK. But if not, you want a CV or VM with these Routs (Pickups)! Bullet and Affinity don't have full size Rout like this one! P-90's fit! There is a Thinline also, which I will try and find a Picture.

DrBeGood

Dr. Squier
Dec 9, 2014
QC, CANADA
I remember hearing good things about this one.
https://harleybenton.com/product/te-90qm-trans-red/

thumbnail_15431670_800.jpg

Mr Bob

Squier-holic
Nov 11, 2011
Bedfordshire
Buy a Squier Vintage Modified Custom II Telecaster. Take it apart. There's your kit.
Unless you are handy with a router or have your heart set on starting with a kit, this makes sense - these are great guitars with 2 p-90s in place as stock, but still have scope for modding...

Below is my much modded Telecaster Custom II - stripped and oiled finish with belly and forearm contours, black hardware, rewire with series/parallel and phase swiching on push-pull pots.

20200702-105033.jpg

SoundDesign

Squier-holic
Mar 8, 2016
Great. White. North.
If you are interested in building, there's a guy in Quebec on Ebay who sells unfinished Tele bodies in pine and white ash. He has a dual P90 version with a top control route and a rear "cabronita" route I think. Not sure what shipping to USA would be but bodies are around $65 CDN.

dpang2836

Squier-holic
Double Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2022
IDAHO
If you are interested in building, there's a guy in Quebec on Ebay who sells unfinished Tele bodies in pine and white ash. He has a dual P90 version with a top control route and a rear "cabronita" route I think. Not sure what shipping to USA would be but bodies are around $65 CDN.
I have bought many Bodies from Real V! Here is a Link.

dpang2836

Squier-holic
Double Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2022
IDAHO
Sorry James but I am not a P90 Pickup Ring Guy. I would have used Direct Mount P90's and lose the Rings! They look like some Trick Water Skis I used in Camp!:eek:

Latest posts