Drop your wiring ideas for this one!

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Shaytan, Sep 12, 2021 at 6:27 AM.

1. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-holic

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Call to all ST tinkerers! In case you haven't had the opportunity to check out my NGD thread, I've gotten myself a customised Cort with an humbucker on the bridge, stock single coil middle and a stacked humbucker in form of a Tele single in the neck. Currently, the guitar has a 3-way switch, a master volume with treble bleed and a killswitch wired in, having loose and poor connections on top of that.

Everything had to be rewired, that's the game plan, but while I intend to keep all the pickups, I dislike the chosen controls built by one of the previous owners.

Goal: be able to have all the possible pickup combinations, a tone control and coil-split functionality for both pickups, as I use all those features on all of my guitars.

Idea: I'm planning on replacing the switch with a 5-way one, adding in two new pots (a 500k audio for bridge humbucker tone and a 250k audio for the single coil and neck stacked), having a push-pull master volume that coil-splits both pickups and, finally, repurposing and moving the killswitch to a Gilmour mod.

Now... I think I could perhaps do a simpler job than this. I've already wired a guitar just like that except it only had one coil-splitting humbucker and, while I would essentially get closer to a traditional Strat layout, I'd have to irreversibly mod its pickguard. Perhaps some of you might have another idea that's in the ballpark of my goals?

BlueSquirrel and grizzlewulf like this.
  2. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-holic

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Ah, I've loved your ideas so far! Just give me a while to be able to analyze them all... :rolleyes:

All jokes aside... I ultimately decided my original idea was far too cumbersome in the amount of controls for something meant to be a gigger - push-pulls, mini switches? All stuff I never quite liked, that's a no!

Here's the seemingly final result that'll allow for a stealth looks and the combos I actually wanna use: master volume 500k, master tone 500k, Schaller Megaswitch E, using this following wiring diagram:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Source: https://schaller.info/en/megaswitch-e

Keep in mind that this guitar uses a stacked tele neck pup, a generic ceramic single coil in the middle and a Pegasus 6 humbucker in the bridge. With this wiring, I can accomplish the coil-split combos I'd actually use (allowing both series hum-cancelling with the middle and the opposing humbucker) as well as the neck+bridge combo for clean tones, at the expense of losing the middle-only option - which I never use alone in any of my SSS or HSH guitars, nor do I want to replace the only "weak" link as far as pickups go anytime soon.

I was unsure about the pot values, though, as the high-gain bridge Duncan will certainly require some extra brightness to be usable, but there were some polarizing opinions in regard to the ideal value for a stacked humbucker. While I can still use one of the many more complex wiring diagrams that achieve different values for each pickup using resistors or stacked pots, I've read these neck stacked humbuckers are on the bassy side when paired with 250k pots, and I gotta say it does sound nice ATM, with no tone control and what seems to be a 500k master volume, so...

I've already used a similar wiring using the Ibanez JEM diagram that auto-splits the humbuckers in the 2nd and 4th positions, but cannot achieve the neck+bridge combo, and depends on the middle single winding orientation and polarity in order to get an hum-cancelling effect. I'll sleep on the subject and finalize the parts order tomorrow. ;)

BlueSquirrel likes this.