Dont like modern cars

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Blues256, Sep 13, 2020.

1. campermoose

campermoose Squier Talker

Apr 22, 2020
    NYC
    Yep, I am from St.Petersburg, Russia, and this is my childhood tram :D

Would love a 70s Fiat, BMW or Subaru... probably would need a roll cage though, as driving a small historic car in US is a dangerous business.
    or one of these:

001.jpg 014.jpg

2. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Squier-Meister

Jul 9, 2020
    LA / Denver
    Unfortunately as sexy as some old cars are, they don't afford any safety, technology or economy. I would love to have a '67 corvette with air bags, lane correction, collision avoidance, comfortable suspension, better brakes, back up camera and gps.

3. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    Speaking of unreliable old European vehicles, I've always wanted an h van images (8).jpeg

campermoose and Big tuna like this.
  4. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Oh? Why is that?

Guess you don't like motorcycles very much either then.

I've no more been killed or even injured in thirty plus years of driving the 'unsafe' FIAT than in my latest, safety gizmo-filled, machines. Wanna know why? Because the safety is in me.

That's not boasting or bravado. I took several courses on safe motoring and worked hard to learn SIPDE driving/riding techniques -- the method developed for emergency vehicle drivers that allows them to daily drive at high speeds on every type of road under even terrible circumstances.

SIPDE stands for Scan, Interpret, Predict, Decide, Execute. The mental basis for safe motoring. Safety based on a driver having a focused, active, mind. One that sees what's coming and avoids the ugly stuff.

(My own short version is to carefully and energetically follow this one rule: Don't be there when the "accident" happens.)

Using those SIPDE techniques I rode high performance Ducati motorcycles many, many tens of thousands of miles over the course of decades, both on the street and on the track. Never busted a bone. Never wrecked a bike.

For other people there were, yes, Volvos. Good enough tank-like cars that allowed a driver to leave his or her brain behind.

This, like so much else these days, is a change in how people think. Or chose not to.

Me? I'm glad we have a choice.

But, then again, do we? How much weight and complexity is added to vehicles for "safety"? The average adult's brain weighs three pounds.

Try to make and sell a car without all that stuff and watch what happens.

Yup! "Live free or die." And if that means driving an older car, so be it. And wearing a well fitted and well filled underarm holster while riding in some places to avoid another type of "accident." (Yes, I regularly did that too.)

Just another way of viewing life I guess. Yes?

-don

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    duzie likes this.
  5. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Squier Talker

Aug 31, 2019
    United States
    I knew that about the Camry - a car I have no interest in. And I don't care for SUVs at all, either. My finger is clearly not on the pulse of the nation.

Eddd likes this.
  6. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Squier Talker

Aug 31, 2019
    United States
    You can still buy wagons from Subaru and VW at least. I also consider little cars like the Kia Soul and Honda Fit to be kind of mini station wagons.

7. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Squier Talker

Aug 31, 2019
    United States
    I'm with you on everything but the lane correction, collision avoidance, and GPS. I do not need any of them, and I've seen each of them fail quite annoyingly several times.

I would also skip the backup camera in order to avoid having a touch screen in my car, but I know they are mandated now.

Eddd likes this.
  8. campermoose

Apr 22, 2020
    NYC
    I appreciate your skill, and your choice, however the problem is not you, it's the other drivers on the road.
    Motorcycle offers more maneuverability and power to avoid an accident, however a small European car from the 60s will always loose to the oversized SUV.

Also if you live near any major city, as oppose to backcountry roads, you are dealing with swarm of people, traffic, people getting distracted on their phones etc.
    And to get a license in US is a joke — main requirement is parallel parking :)

Where I live, one needs to drive a car assuming everybody around just wants to get into accident.

Still would love to own one of these vintage cars at some point :D

9. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Nut

Am a fan of modern cars in terms of reliability, perhaps not so much a fan in terms of styling...

campermoose, Eddd and duceditor like this.
  10. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    I have to drive brand new cars for work, sometimes 1000km in a day. I spend 5 minutes before I set off trying to turn off all the stupid safety distractions! Like BSM (blindspot monitor), LDS (lane departure), radar (slows you down to the speed of the car in front of you when they slow down) and in the new holdens the steering wheel locks in and corrects you when you cross a white line.NZ roads are terribly windy especially in the south island, so cutting the outside line around the hills is common for me (never the centre line), then you have speed warnings that beep obnoxiously when you exceed the speed limit.
    I don't need a reverse camera, or GPS either. I seem to have been fine without them up until this point with no accidents.

Eddd and duceditor like this.
  11. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I recently took a new friend in, maybe in his late 40s, out for a ride in the '77 Spider.

The first thing that got him was the sound. In that car we never play music - the car makes its own.

The second was how much involvement driving required. You didn't just step on the gas and go. Apart from the clutch and 'floor box' tranny there was the accelerator pedal, which has to be endlessly finessed. It is like a dance where each of the partners know their carefully rehearsed steps.. Something after all these years I do without thought, but that amazed and fascinated him.

Is this "good" or "bad"?

The argument could go either way. Motor heads taking one side and 'driver's side passengers' (sorry, but so such many self -seen modern "drivers" to me seem to be) the other.

He loved it. As do I.

The difference being that I am admittedly old. He isn't. To him it was great sport and adventure. To me it is simply what the joy of driving is.

Do without it? For commuting, sure. But on beautiful, curving, empty two-lane roads, no. Never! At least not for me.

-don

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    campermoose likes this.
  12. otma

otma Squier-holic

Nov 4, 2012
    Owen, Wisconsin
    I think the problem with all the technology built into modern cars will make itself felt in the future, when these cars are old enough to be the cheaper used cars that more people can afford to buy. People hesitate to trust a ten year old computer to surf the internet. Who's going to want to trust a 15-20 year old computer to parallel park for them, or watch their lane position, or adjust their traction? The more high tech a car is now, the more likely it would seem to become a huge paper weight when its computer systems are sealed black boxes that no one can fix or upgrade. You can still drive a decades old car in good condition now. Will that still be the case in the future?

Eddd likes this.
  13. JACK G

JACK G Squier Talker

Aug 20, 2020
    London/Essex border
    I'm with the OP on this as I don't like modern cars and have never bought a new car since passing my driving test in 1967!

I have however spent far in excess of buying a new car on 'classic cars' even if they were just considered old cars when I bought them.

My daily driver in the mid 70s to mid 80s................

lot1.jpg

lot2.jpg

then mid 80s to mid 90s..................

bent1.jpg

and not forgetting my plaything mid 80s to mid 90s.................

dino1.jpg

dino2.jpg

Happy days and fond memories.

LAPlayer, campermoose and duceditor like this.
  14. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Lovely machines JACK G!

-don

JACK G and campermoose like this.
  15. Blues256

Blues256 Squier-Meister

Apr 3, 2020
    Poland
    Wait ,wait, wait... You have Konstal 105Na in Russia? No way, You serious? They are made in Chorzów , Poland :D

16. mteetank

mteetank Squier Talker

Aug 25, 2020
    Minnesota
    I grew up in middle america in the 1960's and 1970's, Iowa and Minnesota. I have owned a lot of cars but one of my favorites was my 1957 Pontiac Chieftain four door Hardtop. Paid $175. Man, when you opened the windows there was at least 4-5 feet of open window along the whole side. The back seat was huge, with at least 12 inches between your knees and the front seat. I had a big old V8. It took a least 1 hour just to polish and wax the grill, seriously! Mine was canary yellow but here are a couple pictures of a similar model. 1957_Pontiac 1.jpg 1957_Pontiac 2.jpg

17. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    It would cost too much of my income to have a vehicle, so I've never bothered getting my driver's license. But if I ever did I wouldn't be putting myself into debt just to have a new car off the lot. I'd be more like my brother, who just bought his first vehicle made this century when he had his third child- a 2000 Durango.

18. campermoose

Apr 22, 2020
    NYC
    Well, not exactly Konstal 105 — but one of the earlier variations, LM-68M, I'd assume eastern bloc designs were kicking around back and forth :)

1280px-Tram_LM-68M_in_SPB.jpg

Blues256 likes this.
  19. campermoose

Apr 22, 2020
    NYC
    Incredible, whatever happened to timeless designs?
    Not too many companies are making stuff that will look great in 60 years :/
    Nowadays so much of it is made to be obsolete as soon as possible.

JACK G likes this.
  20. Blues256

Blues256 Squier-Meister

Apr 3, 2020
    Poland
    Looks like Konstal expect for the doors. I always have had a dream to visit Sankt Petersburg. Well our eastern stuff can be pretty amazing. Kompot is slavic cola, babushka :D

campermoose likes this.