Dont like modern cars

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Blues256, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Blues256

Blues256 Squier-Meister

Apr 3, 2020
    Poland
    I am thinking of car, always wanted one but never liked modern ones. Been big fan of old Fiat brand since my uncle had one. I would go for a driving license course but i cannot think of single car I would like to drive. All these German Bmw, Meecedes or Swwdish Volvo etc, not my taste. As a kid i felt on love in American Cadillac. Wish i had bedn born in US

upload_2020-9-13_11-48-5.png

daan, Eddd, Big tuna and 6 others like this.
  2. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    There's something to be said about those old land yachts but give me a modern car any day. Since you're in Poland you should be able to get your hands on an old communist era car as a first car like a Trabant, Zhiguli, Lada etc. Own one of those for a bit and you'll have a new appreciation for something modern I promise you.

Eddd, Shine, campermoose and 4 others like this.
  3. Blues256

Blues256 Squier-Meister

Apr 3, 2020
    Poland
    Mate Trabant and Lada is no Cadillac, these two cars are trash lol. I have tried both and it felt like garbage haha

4. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    I lived in Europe 10 years, I know exactly what they are lol. My wife is Bulgarian, still plenty of Ladas running around there. I'm guessing you've never driven one of those old Cadillacs either. They look great but drive like crap unless you're using it for a parade float. You'd be surprised what some guys are doing with the old Ladas.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

fadetoz, Shine, mb doug and 2 others like this.
  5. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Oh yeah! I'm a FIAT man from the git go.

My first car was a FIAT 1500 just like this one. (That was back in 1968)

Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 8.21.08 AM.png

And now for the last thirty plus its been this, a `77 my dear one bought for me used back in `88.

This is how she looks today at a ripe old age of 44 years...

Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 8.24.05 AM.png

Truth be told FIATS have never caught on in this country. Back then it was because Americans prefer size and raw power to finesse -- that plus the fact that while FIATS are built to last -- they are not "throw aways" (as my own `77 demonstrates) -- they DO require some care and commitment. They were built for people who love cars, not those who see such as simply stylish appliances.

I grew up around American metal. My dad bought a striking yellow Malibu Supersport convertible the year I got my driver's licence, very much with me in mind (although he enjoyed driving it himself for sure!), and then moved on to big Caddies just like the one in your photo once I moved out. But for all that my heart was and is with these older little foreign jobbies. Both British and Italian.

The fact is that today's cars -- all of them! -- are much better than any were back then.

For daily drivers both my wife, Jan, and I drive Nissans. She an all-wheel-drive Rogue, me an Altima. And both are get-the-job done reliable like no car was back then. (My Altima is now 8 years old and has NEVER needed a repair. Un freakin' believable!) But for the heart I'm with you. Older cars just speak more to my heart! :)

-don

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    fadetoz, Eddd, mb doug and 1 other person like this.
  6. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Almost spit my coffee out. Fix It Again Tony. The old Fiats are not known for reliability by any means. Fun yes, but in the same vein as the old MGs and Jaguars. It helps to either be a mechanic or know a good one. Love to have one myself.

7. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    What you say certainly matches the common thinking about them here in the States. But back in the 70s my perhaps closest friend was a technical person (mostly electronics) from Germany. He said that among his friends back home FIAT was far more desirable than most German cars - particularly VW. Better engineered, better (in his and, he said, theirs) built quality

I thought that was crazy. But now owning one from that very era for all these years I'm not so sure. The basic design and build of my 124 Spider's design has proven so sound!

It does require care. Old points (dual points!) Ignition, multi barrel carbs, etc. And its electronic system is insanely convoluted and complex.

But hey, it's Italian! What should one expect? Unemotional sobriety?

-don

mb doug and Blues256 like this.
  8. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
    I don’t know enough about cars to know if it’s even possible, but could they build a modern car with all the bells and whistles but put, for instance, a 57 Chevy body on the chassis made of modern materials and plastics instead of heavy metal?

9. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Two things stand in the way of that actually happening.

First is cost. Development and initial fabrication costs need to be divided into the number of cars built. It'd have to be in the thousands.

Two is the safety and crash damage limiting now required. Very different than back when.

Not impossible, mind you. But unlikely because of costs.

But, oh, if they could... ☺

-don

mb doug, Blues256 and otisblove like this.
  10. TheQuietOne

TheQuietOne Squier Talker

Aug 11, 2019
    oshkosh, wi
    My '78 Fiat Strada was the worst POS I ever owned. I've never had such an unreliable car and I've never had one rust so completely. It was a nightmare. It was super fun to drive though and it makes me appreciate the reliability of my Hyundai.

Skydog757, mb doug and Blues256 like this.
  11. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    My wife's first car in Bulgaria was a Fiat 500 which needed a push start quite often lol. After communism fell though she was very happy to have any type of car at all. Her parents would go to Italy and buy whatever they could, bring them back to Bulgaria and quadruple their money.

mb doug, Blues256 and duceditor like this.
  12. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Squier Talker

Aug 31, 2019
    United States
    I just wish I could get a car with fewer gizmos in it. I like less rust, better mileage, better safety, and better reliability. I just don’t want a touch screen in my car, or all that other stuff that dates the car long before it wears out.

longtortoise, mb doug and Blues256 like this.
  13. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    The top selling sedan in the USA was the Toyota Camry. I thought of it while reading your description of the ideal automobile.

14. The only new cars I like aren't practical for year round use here, and are rather expensive. But I like 'em anyway.

DodgeChallenger.jpg

I'd also have to get a truck for year round use.

2019-ram-1500-ds-limited.jpg

Cheers, Barrie.

duzie, mb doug and Blues256 like this.
  15. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

I do miss the days you could open the hood of a car, look inside and see the ground underneath.

Eddd, Anacharsis, Viking and 4 others like this.
  16. Blues256

Blues256 Squier-Meister

Apr 3, 2020
    Poland
    Btw, apart from car thread i just want You to know that here in western Europe we rely mostly on public transport since we are quite poor. I have weakness for old trams from 1970. Poland, Czech, Slovaks etc have coolest trams. Heres one thats old from my city. We also have newer ones. Most of towns have trams, i know that trams arent so popular in Us but theres something magical about them

upload_2020-9-13_23-15-22.png

Eddd, Big tuna, Shine and 1 other person like this.
  17. mb doug and otisblove like this.
  18. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

I miss triangular vent windows, especially if you want a bit of air while it's raining.
    Crank it completely open and it makes a nice scoop for a complete passenger compartment air exchange in about ten seconds.

I miss horn rings. These days you have to whack-a-mole all around the airbag cover to get a peep out of the horn, and by then it's too late.

I miss proper station wagons.
    People are buying SUVs, mini-vans, and crossovers, when they really want a station wagon. Better mileage, and more cargo space.
    I think Volvo was the last holdout, with some of the older V70s.
    Also you had a hope in hell of finding a dropped tool.
    I'm pretty sure that opening the hood voids the warranty or something nowadays. :rolleyes:

Skydog757, Blues256, Eddd and 2 others like this.
  19. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-holic

Feb 14, 2019
    (dual points!) .... Geez ... that sent cold chills down my spine :D

mb doug and duceditor like this.
  20. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
    Eddd and mb doug like this.