Donner Discount

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by otma, Jul 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otma

otma Squier-holic

Nov 4, 2012
    Owen, Wisconsin
    I bought some stuff at Donner, and they gave me a 10% discount offer to share with friends, so I'm posting the link here, in case anyone can use it.

Removed by Mod.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2021
    radiotech and mb doug like this.
  2. drewcp

drewcp Dr. Squier

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I think this forum has a rule against posting affiliate links.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  3. otma

otma Squier-holic

Nov 4, 2012
    Owen, Wisconsin
    I looked up what affiliate links are, and I don't think this is one. I don't get anything from it being used. It's just a coupon I can send to friends, and this is where everyone I can think of who might use it would be. I just just figured, it's there anyway, so if someone was thinking of buying something Donner, they can save a little. I doubt it would seriously sway anyone who wasn't thinking of buying already, since their stuff isn't pricy enough for 10% to be a lot of money.

Robb and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2016

Yes, I agree. I had to go look up under the Community Rules the definition of what constitutes an affiliate link. I mean I guess I'm guilty too because I've listed some online sites as a PSA and I have provided the discount code. I don't make a penny off of any of these PSAs I've contributed here in the past few years.

But if somehow I was getting a "kickback" or some free gear or some discount on a product, then, yes, that would to me be considered an authorized use of the forum for my own enrichment.

5. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-holic

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    ^ He said enrichment! Lol

6. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2016
    Ooops ... I did not know that about the offer of a $5 coupon. And yes, while it's totally possible that otma is just trying to be nice and let us know about the discount, there remains the question of that reward incentive.

It's rather awkward but I do see this as a potential affiliate link.

Kenneth Mountain and drewcp like this.
  7. drewcp

drewcp Dr. Squier

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I have placed three different orders with them in the past week. At the end of checkout on the website, it has prompted me to share the thing, every time. Have I shared it? No, because I think that it goes against the spirit of the forum rule regarding affiliate links.

I don't exactly get along swimmingly with the mods here, so who knows, they may decide this is perfectly OK just to spite me lol

8. otma

otma Squier-holic

Nov 4, 2012
    Owen, Wisconsin
  9. drewcp

drewcp Dr. Squier

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I'm pretty sure the message shows up in the next step, after you click "share discount"

10. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2016
    That's what I normally see too. But this is right from the Donnerdeal website:
    https://www.donnerdeal.com/pages/donner-reward-program ... the info is pretty close to the bottom of the page.

So one hand I think Donner is being tricky ... it offers to give you a $5 off coupon in one area ... but then when you make an order, as I did, it just brings up the 10 percent off discount for other buyers but does NOT mention that the person who provides the information to the seller can claim the $5 off deal.

At this point it's up to the admins here I think how to handle this deal.

I do, pretty much, enjoy Donner products but I can't stand its marketing system.

11. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2016
    I've never done that but you may be right. By sharing does that mean Donner expects us to give somebody's email address or some other identifying detail? I would NEVER give out the email of somebody I know unless I got his or her permission first. (Nor do I give out phone numbers or addresses.)

Kenneth Mountain and drewcp like this.
  12. drewcp

drewcp Dr. Squier

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    This is what mine looked like on the order confirmation today

Screenshot_20210724-010146_Gallery.jpg

And this is the screen after clicking the yellow button

Screenshot_20210723-105040_Chrome.jpg

13. otma

otma Squier-holic

Nov 4, 2012
    Owen, Wisconsin
    Clicking "Share Discount" just gave me a link that auto copies when clicked on. No further information.

Donner 2.jpg

drewcp and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  14. otma

otma Squier-holic

Nov 4, 2012
    Owen, Wisconsin
    I notice other people's screenshots look like phones. I ordered from a PC. That often makes sites work differently.

15. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2016
    I also ordered from a PC.

16. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Squier-Meister

Jan 28, 2020
    Shreveport, LA
    I've seen multiple Donner reviews and they seem to be decent guitars but I'm good with my Indio guitar and Stage Right tube amp from Monoprice. They have a blonde, black guard Tele for $99 that I've been looking at HARD. I checked to see if Donner had one like it but they don't. I may have considered buying one if they did.

I got a little extra money right now but for whatever reason, I actually feel like I'm pretty satisfied with the guitars I currently have. That Indio 66 DLX Plus Goldtop is a beast of a guitar and I absolutely love it. So much that I've tried looking for a new Epiphone multiple times and end up just giving up because I never see anything that just jumps out and says 'YOU NEED ME!" lol.

Even the Plus Top Pros and their 'Inspired by Gibson' line aren't really catching my eye at all. Yet when I didn't have this money, I'd look at them ALLLLL the time and think "man I want one of those".

I thought Affiliate links usually get the poster something anytime someone buys something. What he posted is equal to someone finding a 10% off coupon online somewhere and posting the code here. Or strings on sale, etc...which is something I do quite often at Strat Talk.

Edit: yea I thought that's how it went. Affiliates get paid each time the link is used to purchase something.

"If a visitor clicks the affiliate link and performs the action that an advertiser pays a commission for, the affiliate gets paid"

Edit #2: read the whole thread. If he gets $5 every time someone uses his link, it's an affiliate link. No question.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  17. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    I'm the only Mod on this site. I had no idea.

DougMen and drewcp like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.