Do you think people have their pickup heights set correctly?

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by mitch_cumsteen, Sep 10, 2020.

Do you think most people have their pickups set:

Poll closed Sep 10, 2020.
  1. Too low

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Just right

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Too high

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    And what everyone is saying is, no, because that's where the original owner found they sounded best to their ears. Saying "are most pickups set too XX" means there's one universally agreed upon "sweet spot" that's being ignored.

so1om and GilmourD like this.
  2. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-holic

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
    Ask ten people what "right" is and you'll get at least nine different answers......

Shine, Big tuna and so1om like this.
  3. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I admit to being one of those people ,whether you or another persons advice :)

There was a lot I wasn't aware of 3 years ago when I bought the first electric guitar I'd had in 2+ decades.

I had just joined Strat talk and entered a discussion on the subject and thought "there's a great idea" ;)

4. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2020
    Greybull, WY
    Mine are adjusted to sound right for me.

5. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Raising the PUPS will often increase output which typically changes the interplay between the guitar and the amplifier. But some do not realize that doing so also has an effect on sustain (less of it) and in some cases tuning issues arise.

These later because raising the PUPS increases the magnetic pull on the strings.

Those who prefer Esquires to Telecasters often say it is because the removal of the 2nd PUP and its magnetic field increases both sustain and a certain responsiveness.

Oh, and the same is understood to be so for single PUP Gibbies such as the ever popular Junior or the less common Les Paul CM.

-don

CM after Old English (post wipe) 2 copy.jpg

Shine, Block Head Ike and Big tuna like this.
  6. Paul McDermitt

Paul McDermitt Squier Talker

Jan 19, 2011
    michigan
    I used to swap pickups if I didn't like the tone of a guitar.

Now I start with simple things like string material, saddle material, and pickup height. I keep screwdrivers by my amp so I can play with pickup and pole adjustments. I can usually get subtle changes in tone with simple adjustments.

I can't imagine the money and time I wasted on pickups.

Shine, Stratlover84, DrBeGood and 2 others like this.
  7. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-holic

Same here...discovered that adjusting individual pole pieces and pickup height FIRST has saved me from yanking some pickups that I didn't think were very good initially. It can make a huge difference.

Paul McDermitt likes this.
  8. jasper

jasper New Member

Sep 8, 2019
    East Yorkshire, UK
    Generally there is a known optimum pup height for most popular guitars which is where I always start from and then tweak to suit my ears and requirements. It will also depend upon whether the pups are originals or replacements which could affect the output.

I was a full time pro touring guitar vocalist for 14 years and retired in 1980. For 10 of those years I had the same guitar with two specially built pups I had made for me and once I'd set up their heights, I never ever found the need to touch them again as they matched perfectly the output I desired for the music I played.

Had I substantially changed the music genres that I played then I might have needed to tweak them again but otherwise they were set at the height which suited me and my music personally.
    The optimum height I mentioned earlier is just a ball park figure and certainly not set in stone.

Block Head Ike likes this.
  9. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

I like to HOPE most people have theirs set 'correctly', ie whatever sounds good to their own ears.

But there might be some people who just buy a guitar and never adjust them.

Stratlover84 and Block Head Ike like this.
  10. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Squier-Meister

Aug 2, 2011
    So Cal
    I am NOT KIDDING .... 80% of the players who come into my Luthier Shop / retail store, DO NOT!

Stratlover84 and DrBeGood like this.
  11. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier-holic

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    A lot of people can’t change their own strings, pickup height adjustment is way down the line.

TeleRooo likes this.
  12. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I have know idea haven't met them all, I guess the biggest percentage have them set to their liking

13. TeleRooo

TeleRooo Squier Talker

May 19, 2016
    Tiger Mt., WA.
    Who Is??? Just Joe.............

14. TeleRooo

TeleRooo Squier Talker

May 19, 2016
    Tiger Mt., WA.
    Who is??? Just Joe W................

15. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Who is??? Just Joe Wa................

16. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-holic

Jun 16, 2016
    NY - EC
    Ears and a screwdriver. Don't need measurements or sermons :rolleyes:

And most people don't bother to adjust stock pups yet they run out first chance they get to replace them.

And when the new pups are in they STILL don't bother to adjust. To think some sell guitars because they didn't like the pups :D