Do you like the Steve Miller Band?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by ToneChaser77, Sep 18, 2020.

1. ToneChaser77

ToneChaser77 Squier-Nut

Sep 29, 2019
    Milledgeville, Ga
    Yes she does. It doesnt help that I originally had it sorted by genre then alphabetically and associated acts before the move. Ex: Cream=classic rock, Eric Clapton= Cream or Beatles with Wings,John and Yoko,Paul,George and Ringo. Makes since to me but she didn't like the Idea. I have to admit just Alphabetically makes it easy to find exactly what you want but I want to take it a step further and sort by release date as well. Putting say the ABB albums in the order of release including Greggs Solo stuff. Is that too much? Seems logical to me.

JurnyWannaBe and Shine like this.
  2. lost sailor

lost sailor Squier-Meister

Oct 7, 2013
    Wolf 359
    Children of the Future was my favorite album.
    I loved the "Day on the Green"......last one I was at had The Police as the headline band with Madness, the Fixx? and Oingo-Boingo......sittin' on the grass there was very cool.

JurnyWannaBe, ToneChaser77 and Shine like this.
  3. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I grew up with Fly Like an eagle and Book f Dreams as a staple. I thought I read where they were recorded at the same time and had such a catalog of good music made 2 releases out of it. There are some great deep tracks. if you like bad ass blues, check out The Stake. Sacrifice also a great jam, Wild Mountain Honey! The radio stuff has been played to death. BTW, Joe Boanmassa wasn’t a rich kid. Only with talent. Not saying you have to like him, but you cant deny his skill. I guess we like what we like and sometimes over play of anything gets to us. I was the hugest of Skynyrd fans and just turn the dial when I hear them now because the same 4 songs have been played so much.

As to Steve Miller, saw him a couple of times. I still own Book of Dreams on Vinyl. I might have Fly Like an Eagle too. Haven’t checked.

JurnyWannaBe and ToneChaser77 like this.
  4. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Squier-Meister

Feb 25, 2017
    Rhode Island USA
    I think yur lettin yur ocd get the best o ya

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  5. ToneChaser77

ToneChaser77 Squier-Nut

Sep 29, 2019
    Milledgeville, Ga
    Maybe so. You know I dont remember being that way at all when I was younger. Only in the last decade or so have I been more particular about things. I have decided to leave it as is though. Mrs.Chaser worked hard organizing it and it will help her go right to what she wants to hear. I think she's enjoying it more than I am. She's played records nearly every single night like my very on DJ. We haven't even turned on the TV in a few days.

6. Croppertone

Croppertone Squier-Meister

Mar 31, 2010
    Ontario
    Always liked his stuff growing up. Recently I realized that every time I hear Threshold/Jet Airliner, it makes me smile: I'd say that's a win/win. And I always end up singing the harmonies without thinking

7. strat81

strat81 Squier-Meister Platinum Supporting Member

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    No way, man. He won't have my back when there's funky **** going down in the city. Just gets on his jet airliner and leaves.

Loin Lover and ToneChaser77 like this.
  8. NoStoneUnturned

NoStoneUnturned Squier Talker

May 27, 2020
    Minnesota
    If you don't own at least one Steve Miller Band album/CD you can't be my friend. (Greatest Hist counts. I think everybody has that on.)

madmodder likes this.
  9. madmodder

madmodder Squier Talker

Mar 21, 2014
    new england
    You have good taste in music. I am a Boomer most likely just a year or two younger than Steve himself, LOL. I have seen him in concert more than a few times. I saw him in NYC when he was playing the left hand reversed Strat seen on the cover of your LP. That was/is a great LP. I also suggest "Steve Miller Band Number 5". Lest I forget his first LP (Children of the Future) is also a classic. Enjoy.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    ToneChaser77 likes this.
  10. Shaman

Shaman Squier Talker

May 18, 2020
    Middle Island, New York
    haha reminded me of this scene.
    maxresdefault.jpg

ToneChaser77 likes this.
  11. Finnish Swede

Finnish Swede Squier-Meister

Apr 7, 2018
    Finland
  12. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    Yes, I love The Steve Miller Band.

TSMB.jpg

Maguchi and ToneChaser77 like this.
  13. Maguchi

Maguchi Squier Talker

Aug 5, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    I loved Steve Miller's music growing up and still do. I can't say I have heard anything to convince me to like Steve Miller as a person though. However, that is based on only a one hour interview of him by Dan Rather. I have not seen or heard anything else about him.

ToneChaser77 likes this.
  14. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

I don't care for "The Joker" album and later, except for the song "Serenade".

I do really like the "Anthology" compilation album, which covers from 1968-1972.
    Will "Children of the Future" do?
    I think I have it on CD and vinyl.
    My first contact with it was a cover band doing the whole first side live. I had to get it from the source after that.

ToneChaser77 and Shine like this.
  15. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Don't forget the other Steve Miller, Keyboard Maestro in Elvin Bishop's band with the late great Jo Baker on vocals.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    ToneChaser77 likes this.
  16. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Back in 2010, I met Joseph Wooten, the keyboardist for Steve’s band in a hotel bar in downtown Milwaukee, very engaging, nice guy, and gave me the scoop on a couple songs that Steve changes the key on to play live when his voice isn’t cooperating.

ToneChaser77 likes this.
  17. crowhaven2000

crowhaven2000 Squier Talker

Jul 18, 2011
    new mexico
    I saw Stevie Guitar Miller at the Diamond-head Crater Celebration in 1970. It was an awesome concert and he shined. He is a hell of a guitar player, no matter what anyone thinks. His history with the industry is instrumental with musicians making money from their work. True, as a kid he was an insider, but so what? He learned from the best and he made some money by demanding it when almost everyone else was getting screwed.. The music he played that day was mostly from his Number 5 album. Maybe my favorite, though his earlier work was great too. He was an activist and a trend setter. But if you go see him live you will see that he is a guitar player and a composer. One thing I like about him these days is he doesn't give a sh*t about what the industry thinks, but he has a lot to say about how they treat bands. Like Joe, he beat the system, just in a different way. And I like his earlier stuff better too, but I would guess he doesn't care. Live he was great, and connected with the audience. Stevie Guitar Miller, a Legend. Jut like one of his mentors, Les Paul.

ToneChaser77 likes this.
  18. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    The song that was #1 on the charts the week I was born was Abracadabra. I've always liked Steve Miller's music, but I think I lost my Greatest Hits CD prior to the digitization of my collection.

ToneChaser77 likes this.
  19. brashboy

brashboy Squier Talker

Apr 6, 2017
    Florida
    Yes.
    Especially the first two, produced by Glyn Johns.

ToneChaser77 likes this.