Do you like the Steve Miller Band?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by ToneChaser77, Sep 18, 2020.

1. ToneChaser77

ToneChaser77 Squier-Nut

Sep 29, 2019
    Milledgeville, Ga
    So my wife decided to take on organizing our vinyl collection. She found a couple of bookshelves that were perfect size for it and proceeded to sort them alphabetically. Its mostly classic rock and includes The ABB, Led Zep, Pink Floyd and such.Alot of them have been stored in boxes for the the past four years since we moved. While digging through the piles I come across this one and remembered how much I use to, nay still do, love this album. Such good music! I swear I was born in the wrong decade. Or was it the right one since I was born around the time this was released? I guess it depends on how you look at it.
    16004831206634767698142575303008.jpg 16004831597665359400338481461526.jpg

2. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    Yes.

I always liked his music growing up in the 70. Earlier tonight I was playing Name that Tune with my wife and I was strumming Fly Like an Eagle.

interestingly my brother who is 13 years older than me can stand him, along with a lot of musicians of that era. He was just a rich kid. Me: “so kinda like Joe Bonermassive?” Which oddly, my brother likes. Couldn’t name one song by joe, but a lot by Steve.

3. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Squier-Meister

Jul 9, 2020
    LA / Denver
    Steve Miller's music has always been great. He still is.

4. I bought "Fly Like an Eagle" for my girlfriend back then. I probably still have a copy in my collection.
    Cheers, Barrie.

5. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    I did... got burned out by the radio play during my youth... though I do like to hear “True fine Love” now and then.

6. Archangelmm

Archangelmm Squier-Meister Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2017
    Valrico, Fl
    Have always loved his music, awesome guitar player, great composer.

7. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I liked his earlier stuff more. That album was a bit too arena rock for me, and like the Doors, U2, Boston, Huey Lewis, Billy Squier, and Bob Seger, just got shoved down my throat too much by FM radio, which was the only music I had at work to relieve the boredom when stuffing and soldering PC boards for 8 hours a day.

Maguchi, JurnyWannaBe, Shine and 3 others like this.
  8. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Nut

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    I Like his early Blues stuff the most.

Maguchi, JurnyWannaBe, Shine and 5 others like this.
  9. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-holic

My first real Honest-to-goodness rock concert was Steve Miller Band with Bob Seger Band as opening act!

upload_2020-9-19_2-9-23.jpeg

10. ChinaCatSunflower

ChinaCatSunflower Squier-Meister

Oct 18, 2018
    USA
    I prefer his early blues-ier stuff as well.
    Going to Mexico, Livin' In The USA, etc.

Maguchi, JurnyWannaBe, Shine and 3 others like this.
  11. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-holic

My teens were in the 70's so I heard him a lot. His Greatest Hits album was taped and could be often heard coming from my '68 Camaro or '73 Gran Torino as I cruised around. I'm not familiar with his early blues stuff.

12. spyhawk36

spyhawk36 Squier-Meister

Sep 23, 2011
    Detroit
    I bought Book Of Dreams for my sister’s 14th birthday. After hearing her play the album and loving it I would steal it and play it in my room when she wasn’t home.

13. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Unfortunately, the death of Winterland, and the ushering in of Stadium and Arena rock turned the creativity of the 60s and 70s into the big money circus of the late 70s and 80s, and clown bands like Twisted Sister, Kiss, Alice Cooper, Motley Crue, etc.
    One of the two worst sounding shows I ever saw was at Oakland Stadium, and even Joe Walsh and Bill Graham couldn't save it.
    They didn't have PA sound at that giant level down yet. Many years later I saw the Who at the Oakland Stadium, and we were in the last row of the bleachers, literally the worst seats in the whole place, and the sound was perfect. Ditto for Paul McCartney at the football stadium on the Berkeley campus (we were on the field there), and every show I ever saw at Shoreline had great sound.
    RIP Bill Graham!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  14. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Just a kicked back frog... Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
  15. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
  16. jefffam

jefffam Dr NC Gold Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Always enjoyed all of Steve Miller's music. Never burned out on it. I guess coming up playing in Concert, marching bands and Orchestra I was acclimatized to repeated, endless repetition of songs in rehearsal. I personally wish his great music was played more in decent classic rock playlists.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    JurnyWannaBe and ToneChaser77 like this.
  17. Shine

Shine Squier-Nut

Nov 29, 2016
    Rings of Saturn
    Wow, your wife does good work! Organizing the music media can be a daunting task. Having devoted several hours myself, it is illuminating to see what you have gathered (and are now able to find) over the years!

I grew up in the Bay Area in the 60s and Steve M was a regular fixture both live and on the air. I *think* I saw him at a Day on the Green in Oakland back in the late 70s.

Interesting guy in that he has approached his career very strategically business-wise. Dan Rather interviewed him on AXS TV a while back, which I recommend if you can find it.

18. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Yes. Some people call him Maurice. ;)

He has a place in my LP collection too.

JurnyWannaBe and ToneChaser77 like this.