Do dealers think we are stupid

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by brians, Nov 22, 2021.

1. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    I've just got an email from a leading music retailer offering their specials for black Friday specials.

Of course I immediately look at the Squier prices , and blow me down, everything is marked up by 30 % and then discounted back to normal prices .

Here is an example, the normal price is 9.5k , all day long everyday, everywhere. And they show the " normal " price is 14+ k

I've edited the dealer name, but I would love to actually expose it , makes me angry.
    Anyone else experience this where you are ? IMG_20211122_181655.png

2. Paruwi

Paruwi Squier-holic

Apr 28, 2019
    Kraut-Territory
    You can always try to find some uneducated deal-hunters who fall for it.....

I'm sure it works for them

Mojotone, Robb, miket1117 and 3 others like this.
  3. Oldest trick in the book. Retailers do this all the time.

M T Poteet, Robb, miket1117 and 3 others like this.
  4. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Here in the US laws both control, and (equally) facilitate, this type of hokum. Thus Amazon will raise the selling price of an item for a required period before a “sale.” Then say “was $x, now only $x!”

The use of “retail price,” too, is a useful tool. Or “suggested retail price” - a bit more accurate, but still, today, hokum.

Once it wasn’t. Small local shops once all declared such as the official set price. They agreed to all keep it just as other ‘professions’ stick to going price negotiated in the backroom for the group.

Calling all this “bad” is like castigating a lion for hunting its prey. Better to just be aware and, when in its territory, to be armed. ;)

-don

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    Cochise, the_dude, Robb and 5 others like this.
  5. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    I agree Don, but this kind of advertising shows a complete lack of respect to customers.
    Anyone with an ounce of intelligence, about to spend $1000 on a guitar is going to do some homework.

So yes, I'm calling bad, it's disgraceful.

Afrika61, Cochise, Robb and 3 others like this.
  6. Eddie

Eddie My Squier is on Fire !!!

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Caveat emptor.

Robb, brians, miket1117 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Hadronic Spin

Hadronic Spin J Squier, Esquier Gold Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Verbum up!

Jason

Robb, brians and miket1117 like this.
  8. Benlostforyears

Benlostforyears Squier-Nut

Aug 17, 2020
    Western NC
    Yes they do think we're stupid, because a lot of people are. They see the word discount and fall for it every time. I wouldn't let it bother you too much it's incredibly common even with the big retailers here. Sweetwater says they're giving you $300 off the "MSRP" but every other retailer has this guitar listed for the $699.99 asked here.

Screenshot_20211122-144049_Chrome.jpg

Robb and brians like this.
  9. Randall E

Randall E Squier Talker

Oct 3, 2021
    Central California
    You've got to be a smart shopper and do your homework to actually get a deal. If you get enough deals, you can afford to purchase even more guitars!

10. EdSevered

EdSevered Squier-Meister

Oct 17, 2020
    SE Wisconsin
  11. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    Yes, though I think in the same vein as @duceditor. It's a function of an economy possessing aspects of the free market, I think. From this perspective there's no inherent wrongness involved.

Sellers may play all of the banal games with prices they like, though; these surreptitious shenanigans will never rid the world of a buyer' choice or critical thinking.

the_dude, brians and White Dog like this.
  12. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    I'm quite thankful that this black Friday nonsense is a relativley new concept here in the u.k., Course we still have bogus sales that make us think we are having a bargain but it pays to shop around.
    John Robson(Internet guitarist) did a video recently when buying an Epiphone Les Paul Classic Worn, there was a £70 difference between the lowest to highest priced guitar.

Robb, brians and rorygman like this.
  13. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Yes. They hope people will react and not research .

Cochise, Robb, brians and 1 other person like this.
  14. White Dog

White Dog Squier-Meister

Oct 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Yep; happens all the time here as well. Like a lot of folks already said (and I'll put it in my own words), there are a LOT of Sheeple that fall for that horse $#!*.

15. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    Non plebeus carborundum.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

16. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier-holic

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    Just going by the thread title, yes.

17. hneel

hneel Squier Talker

Jun 16, 2021
    Netherlands
    A while ago I was looking for a new coffee machine. I thought "You know what, let's check the manufacturer site. Cut out the middle man, you known".
    I learned that the price there was a 100 € more than everywhere else.

18. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Do dealers think we are stupid?

They know that 75% of their customers are...

Ladeeh, drewcp, shingh2002 and 3 others like this.
  19. Mojotone

Mojotone Squier-Meister

Jun 5, 2021
    Chateauguay, QC
    Yes this is the Ecomoney :D

[​IMG]

brians, Cochise, Shaytan and 2 others like this.
  20. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-holic

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    I don't know about your local laws, but that's very much illegal around here. We have something called complaints book, which you have the right to request in physical form at the store, or to access online. The simple act of filing a complaint comes pricey for the store, as they'll usually get fined by the governmental regulating agency. That can only go up if their investigation concludes you're right.

Not only this weights on companies' pockets not to do these practices, but many managers will just offer you the correct discount right away if you confront them with the situation and ask for the book.

BTW, the laws regarding these discounts say the promotion has to be applied over the lowest price that store has retailed that item for in the past, I believe, 90 days. This doesn't stop some janky chains from increasing prices way back in the end of summer in advance, though.

drewcp and Cochise like this.