DIY LP Kit

Big tuna

Dr. Squier
Gold Supporting Member
May 6, 2014
east Tn
I have seen these for years and finally got one. This will be interesting and a miracle if it turns out at least a little like i hope. First thing put the black light on it and hope glue squeeze shows up and hopefully remove it. It actually looks better than i thought it would. Electronics like pots and switch will not be used i can't handle small pots i have a hard enough time seeing to solder full size ones. A lot depends on neck fit and bridge fit turns out. 20221005_191511 (1).jpg 20221005_191420 (1).jpg 20221005_191913 (1).jpg

Michael7

Dr. Squier
Jan 12, 2010
Virginia Beach, VA USA
I'll be watching with interest. Yours looks very nice.

I bought an incomplete project LP for $25 that the builder had given up on. The neck is in place, but possibly at the wrong angle. The flame maple veneer is cracked and the guy used a brick red dye on it, so a lot to fix or to live with. It will take so much time, it is well down the list of projects on the workbench.

Last edited:

AxelMorisson

Squier-Nut
Nov 15, 2021
Fagaras, Romania
Yes! you'll have great fun with that kit. I did two SGs from them- and they turned out ok. One - not so much because of an unfortunate "first time painting" accident- in fact a long series of mishaps that taught me to paint. The second..I did in ...crayons and transparent nitro but turned out okay...it's here on this site

Big tuna

Dr. Squier
Gold Supporting Member
May 6, 2014
east Tn
If the veneer isn't up to a stain or dye, gold top it. People have trouble with glue squeeze getting all over the top and they end up sanding through the veneer trying to fix it. Be careful sanding! Using a black light to see the glue is something I never thought of.
I put the blacklight on it last night and marked glue spots on the top. I have watched so many youtube videos where someone just goes at it with no prep and it ain't pretty. I figure 2 light sandings is it on these thin veneer tops.

Big tuna

Dr. Squier
Gold Supporting Member
May 6, 2014
east Tn
I got my dye powders from Amazon today alcohol base so hopefully very little grain raise. Since no videos on this brand and little to go on but reviews on Amzn i ordered some maple veneer yesterday for some testing before attempting to have a go at dying top. I put the bushings in the body for bridge and tailpiece. I will put 2 tuners in the neck and dry fit with 2 sided tape 2 check neck angle and bridge alignment next. 20221006_202106.jpg

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
I suppose the joy of this is in the doing itself. Much like building, say, a model schooner.

And, of course, if it comes out super cool -- an actual player! -- than there will be reason for great pride.

Cost-wise the kits I've seen have never seemed to make any real sense. They generally cost no less to buy than a similar level guitar bought fully put together.

Or am I missing something?

-don

Big tuna

Dr. Squier
Gold Supporting Member
May 6, 2014
east Tn
I suppose the joy of this is in the doing itself. Much like building, say, a model schooner.

And, of course, if it comes out super cool -- an actual player! -- than there will be reason for great pride.

Cost-wise the kits I've seen have never seemed to make any real sense. They generally cost no less to buy than a similar level guitar bought fully put together.

-don
Don this thing was $99+tx and free shipping. I had seen these for years and i couldn't resist the price.

Big tuna

Dr. Squier
Gold Supporting Member
May 6, 2014
east Tn
I hammered in the post bushings screwed in 2 tuning keys to see how the bridge placement and neck angle looked. Nut appears cut to low right off hand but until its strung up hard to say for sure. The bridge and tailpiece had a name stamp on bottom but someone used a Dremel to scratch some lettering off but you can still read Epiphone on it.

Attachments

• 20221007_150058.jpg
    20221007_150058.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20221007_150110.jpg
    20221007_150110.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20221007_150136.jpg
    20221007_150136.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 14

M T Poteet

Squier-Nut
Aug 17, 2021
CO

-don
"Cost-wise the kits I've seen have never seemed to make any real sense. They generally cost no less to buy than a similar level guitar bought fully put together."

Some of us like to work with our hands (some can't) and feel a sense of accomplishment when done right. I have built a T type (working on a thinline now) that I personally think is better quality than any of my Squiers, granted I only have two and they are both SE's but I wouldn't trade my kit for either one, or both of them.

Plus, you can do any color or combination of colors and any electronic configuration you want, very similar to moding your Squier.

M T Poteet

Squier-Nut
Aug 17, 2021
CO
I hammered in the post bushings screwed in 2 tuning keys to see how the bridge placement and neck angle looked. Nut appears cut to low right off hand but until its strung up hard to say for sure. The bridge and tailpiece had a name stamp on bottom but someone used a Dremel to scratch some lettering off but you can still read Epiphone on it.
Hope you enjoy the build!

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
Some of us like to work with our hands (some can't) and feel a sense of accomplishment when done right.
Yes! Absolutely! (and I thought I'd included that thought in my earlier comment)

Those who lack real tool skills -- such as, alas, I -- can only (and do) look on with admiration at what some of you more skilled fellows accomplish. :)

-don

Latest posts