Discounts still possible? Where? Whom to call?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Ralph124C41, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I certainly miss those pre-virus madness days when Musician's Friend, Guitar Center, Sam Ash, et al gave out those discounts of 10 percent to 20 percent.

Anyway, is it still possible to call a retailer and ask for one and stand a chance of actually getting one? What retailer? Does anybody have a sales rep they would care to provide a name and/or phone number to? Maybe somebody could send me the information through the Inbox function here.

As I said in the past I generally just waited for somebody to have a discount or maybe if I saw something on sale ... but of course some popular items seemingly never go on sale so the across-the-board discounts were to me a good way to get something.

Thanks to all in advance.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    call in to Sweetwater - they will almost always give you a discount (or a throw in, like a case) on the phone

3. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    You know even before this craziness when I called SW I asked the rep to match the current sale price at one of the competitors. They just couldn't match it. However I don't think I ever asked on a straight-ahead purchase but I admit I just assumed if SW couldn't or wouldn't match a competitor's price that I probably couldn't get much of a deal.

I do routinely use SW for sale items, however, and I enjoy the candy.

Now MF, in a way, does have a discount in that of the Rewards points which are a minimum of 8 percent. Of course you can only use it to buy other MF gear and you have a certain time to use them, which I think is 180 days.

Kenneth Mountain and IronSchef like this.
  4. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Bit of an update, I called MF and GC and asked about a deal on the Fender LT25 amp at $149.99. MF guy said 5 percent (add there is the rewards program I cited) while the GC guy said 7 percent. I left a voice message at Sweetwater.

So far ... ouch, even lower than I thought, not even enough to cover my sales tax. Oh, well.

5. GunnyPlaysLoud

GunnyPlaysLoud Squier Talker

Mar 13, 2020
    Wisconsin
    Bought a guitar last week and reached out to GC and Sweetwater first. Best I could get was 7% off from GC. I believe Sweetwater was willing to take off 3%.

6. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

those are cool amps ! !

7. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Maybe I could get them to throw in a second bag of candy?

8. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Nut

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    I don't know if that works everywhere, but at least in smaller shops, people are having trouble moving stuff and needing the cash more than ever. If you make it seem so that you'd buy something was it priced X instead of Y, there's a good chance you'll get to an agreement of a good deal perhaps in a normal situation you wouldn't get.

Trick is, obviously, to show you'd buy it wouldn't it be for the price, if you're about to throw in the money and then say "oh, wouldn't you make a discount of X%?", the answer to what was already a pretty much closed deal will certainly be no.

9. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Squier-Meister

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    Sweetwater says they couldn't match the competitors discounts because they have the best pre and after sale customer support. I have to agree with that.

10. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I don't know about that. How can you quantify the support against what you can get from the others? That reminds me of a claim made by the car insurance company that I regularly paid my bills to for years and years. Finally I got a quote from another insurer and my company couldn't match it and started talking about how much better its customer service was and that's why they couldn't match the rates. I didn't buy that argument then and I switched to the other company and it's been a wonderful (and much cheaper) experience for me.

11. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Squier-Meister

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    At MF, whenever I ask a question about a product, it's like asking a question from a GC staff in a store.

12. kjmac

kjmac Squier-holic

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I work with Dave Brow at Sweetwater. He has always treated me very well with pricing and special deals. I don't have his extension handy, but if you ask for Him, he will be glad to help. Sweetwater is a good outfit if for no other reason, they open every guitar, inspect it and do a basic setup to make sure it is ready to play.

13. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Two things: One I just got an email back from my SW rep. He offered me ZERO discount. None.

Also about checking every guitar ... I doubt that. As I wrote in this forum earlier a few years ago I received a guitar from SW that had an obvious defect ... a part was never installed.

I will stick to SW for its sale items.

14. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    In case you haven't seen it, those are the 55 points inspected by SW: https://www.sweetwater.com/about/guitars/

Tbh, it doesn't feel like they do a really extensive inspection. I have never purchased anything form them, but I have heard mixed reactions.

15. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    A couple of things about that 55-point inspection. From the web page "Nearly every guitar and bass priced $299" ... get the inspection. Note the qualifier of "nearly" and that there is a price point to qualify for the inspection. The guitar I ordered was less than that.

Best1989 and drewcp like this.
  16. kjmac

kjmac Squier-holic

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Sorry to hear that, Ralph. I've bought two new guitars from Sweetwater and both were excellent right out of the box. One was a Fender and the other was a Guild. I got a reasonable deal on both.

17. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    I suspected that. I just really think that even if your guitar was over the $299 price point, the results wouldn't have been much different. I have read of people getting guitars with issues, even when inspected.

I guess it really is a YMMV thing.