Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by guitar guy, Sep 8, 2021.
Hey y'all: @Robb @Bluzy
@guitarguy is not @guitar guy
Glad to know you’re still around! Thanks!
Wait??? There’s 2 guitar guys now? I challenge @guitarguy to a dual!!!
Oh yeah… STRINGS!!!
And both have Peavey Mystics,… well Guitar Guy was trying to rebuild one I recall…..what are the chances?
I still have it. Still plan on building it.
So far I pulled the strings off and started cleaning it. I’m not doing a full on disassembly, but I went over all the guitar with rubbing alcohol, a tooth brush, some qtips, and a rag. Pulled off the broken pickup ring and started working on that as well. I superglued the cracked portion, then I superglued a pair of toothpicks to the existing surface of the broken holes. I did this so that I have a marker when I add material back to the ring. Here’s pics.
I also grabbed some sandpaper for cleaning the oxidation and the crusty dna off of the frets.
So I gave the frets a quick cleaning and well… they are flat and worn at the top… so I’m going to do a basic set up and tackle the refret later. But I don’t think there’s enough meat left to recrown, and to fret level would be one hell of an undertaking.
I would make sure I got some wood glue in the cracks at the neck pocket...suction cup it in deep. Other than that; yah...a good cleaning, and fixing the pickup ring (as you are), and play that bad boy. I like it.
The cracks were already repaired by a previous luthier. What looks like a crack is missing paint. At least that has been my assessment.
got the pickup ring in some epoxy… granted I went over the top with the epoxy
The epoxy was years old and wasn’t curing. So I had to peal it all off and I’m making a second attempt with the adhesive I wanted to use in the first place.
Just checked it first thing this morning, still a little soft, but with as thick as I put it down, not surprised. It’ll harden up. Trucking right along!!!
Finally found some time to shape the reconstruction. It’s roughed in at least.
Ugh!!! Went to drill the holes and this happened… gonna have to re glue and used a deemed i think