Diggin' the Snow!

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Feb 9, 2017.

1. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Not literally yet. That'll come later. But psychically for sure.

My home in the Monadnocks section of New Hampshire is on the weather line. -Where the edge of low pressure front is expected to fall. I.e, if it goes a little bit further north, and the wind rises as is expected, we could get some pretty deep drifts. On the other hand, if the line goes even a bit south we might get just 4 to 6 inches.

Many of my friends live somewhat below that line. Schools there are shut, but offices open. The commute is already hell, and what this afternoon promises will be no doubt far worse.

Jan and I, however, are home with nowhere to run. That's the best place to be in such a storm -- now officially classed a "blizzard."

Knowing this was coming we did all our out-of-the-house chores yesterday. Today we'll keep the woodstove burning (the wood is already in the house, and much that is on the porch remains dry).

Oh, and I'll keep peeking out. Grabbing pix of little details seen from inside the our from on the porch.

Here's where things are at presently:

An earlier shot...

First Snow 12-19-2015.jpg

Out the garage window...

Light Falling Snow 2-7-17.jpg

And a few little details, all snapped from the comfort inside...

Falling 2-9-17 b.jpg

Falling 2-9-17 a.jpg

Falling 2-9-17 c.jpg

-don

2. Butterfinger

Butterfinger Squier Talker

Apr 14, 2016
    Christiania
  3. surf green

surf green Squier-Nut

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    Coastal RI was near 60 degrees yesterday, today we're in for 12"-18" of snow. No work, no surf (yet), oh well, may as well destroy the value of another guitar, where's that phillips head...........

Rollmeaway, Luvs2yoko, Brever and 2 others like this.
  4. mb doug

mb doug Squier-holic

Jan 4, 2012
    Long Island
    Basically snowed in today. Luckily I picked up a project yesterday to occupy my time. Neck is pretty badly bowed and there is a crack I believe from the micro tilt being tightened too much. but it's a short scale and should be fun.

Attached Files:

5. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Yeah, we're up to six inches already. And the storm has just begun. Going to be a lallapoloozer.

What to do? What to do?

Have a Marx Brothers Film Festival! Of course! :D

-don

Treynor, radiotech, Brever and 2 others like this.
  6. OldGuitarPlayer

OldGuitarPlayer Squier-Nut

Jul 17, 2012
    the basement
    Nice and sunny but cold up here in Canuckistan but we are not quite as east as you folks. No chance of snow here for the next 2-3 days and just flurries if that. You can have that snow!!!...lol...:eek:

Rollmeaway, surf green and mb doug like this.
  7. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Thanks!

Based on the amount we're getting a lot of people must have echoed that kind offer. ;)

-don

mb doug and OldGuitarPlayer like this.
  8. Brever

Brever Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    Brandy and more brandy...

duceditor likes this.
  9. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Crazy winter here indeed..We had the one really cold spell with one heavy snow fall..The rest of the winter has seen temps as high as 60 with lows at times mid 20s..Plenty of rain but hardly any snow..
    Looking out my front window today, I see the pond has ripples..Should go fishing.. lol...
    I'm lovin' those pics of your snow covered yard Don..

Treynor and duceditor like this.
  10. jefffam

jefffam Squier-holic

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    The pictures of the snow are lovely, Don. It sounds like you are well situated for the snow.

If you do the Marx brothers, you have to do, I think it's "Duck Soup". The one in the imaginary land of 'Fredonnia'. The film is the result of them being snowed in, in Fredonia, N.Y. They get a bunch of snow there coming off Erie. I know.

BTW, you are talking many multiple inches. It only takes about an inch or more to shut down where I live now. Even if things don't completely shut down, we stay home. The locals can't drive safely in rain, I have no desire to even try snow. When I had to go to work after snow. it was a harrowing , yet comical experience.

Rollmeaway likes this.
  11. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    My son and DIL both grew up in New England -- she in N.W. Vermont. They moved down to North Carolina several years ago, and while they love it there -- love the people and the climate -- "bad weather" driving has taken on a whole new meaning! Just what you say about rain. Snow? Forget about it! Everything closes! :D

I have friends who have done what many New Yorkers do when they reach my age: Move to Florida. A couple of years there and the mere thought of snow paralyzes them.

"When are you going t move down here?" they ask.

Hopefully not too soon. Blue Plate Senior Shopper Specials and "Left Turn On Signal Only" signs no doubt serve a purpose in the divine plan -- but not one I hope to soon require. Please Lord. Please!

:D

-don

Rollmeaway, Acidhouse and Treynor like this.
  12. TomL

TomL Squier-Nut

We had our second snow of the winter here. Last month, the snow lay overnight, but had completely vanished by the following lunchtime.

This time, it was nothing more very light slush that was barely snow at all - almost rain. It lasted a couple of hours and was gone.

Despite being in the north of the Northern European country winters here in the North East of England are usually comparatively mild and we don't see much snow at all.

13. MOD-VM70

MOD-VM70 Squier-Meister

Nov 11, 2016
    Florida
    I really miss the separation of the seasons. While my Island born wife is dependent on warm weather, I have no such limitation. It can get wearisome to the soul with a long string of plus 80 degree days in January.

14. Treynor

Treynor Squier-holic

Jun 22, 2016
    Dallas, TX
    The pics are wonderful Don...thanks for sharing! But I can't lie, 85 degrees in the Big D tomorrow is fine by me :cool:

jefffam and duceditor like this.
  15. pcampbell

pcampbell Squier Talker

Jan 15, 2015
    Memphis, Tennessee
    I really like your snow pics. I'm beginning to think we're not going to get any more snow this year in my neck of the woods.

16. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    We totaled about 11 or 12 inches. Not too much. But the wind kicked up and created some complete white outs. Between that and the thin ice layer beneath snow folks who had to commute had a pretty tough time.

We, however, were warm and safe. The friend who plows or long circular drive (almost 1/5 mile) arrived just after the snow stopped falling and we had him also plow out the 2nd circle that leads to the guest cottage. That way our friend who is currently staying there didn't have it too, too bad upon hs late return from work.

Kindness leads to kindness -- he called early this morning to tell us not to worry about digging out our walks or the path to around the spa. He'll (again) do that for us. So kind!

This week promises lots of cold and some more snow.

Hope all along the East Coast did as well. Some place, I understand, got hit much harder than we

-don

The porch and clearing as it looked the morning after...

After the Blizzard 2-10-17 c.jpg

17. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    Just a freakishly warm February here. I don't think I will need to move back to my home state of Florida. It's moving to me.

Big tuna and duceditor like this.
  18. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    This morning's view through the bedroom's "glass wall"...

Panarama 2-11-17.jpg

-don

19. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    Still enjoying that snow?
    I shoveled for 2 hours yesterday and wake up today to find I must do it all again.
    At least there isn't quite as much today...
    Be nice to have a plow... oh well.. I got a shovel.
    Personally, I cant wait for the spring meltoff.
    I hate shoveling, always have...

Big tuna likes this.
  20. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Actually I've never liked doing it either.

Jan did. For years she was chompin' at the bit do any such hard physical labor. While I've long lived by the principle that there are only two things worth getting sweaty for: Making music and making love.

Our driveway is far too long to hand shovel -- or even do with a walk-behind type snow blower. That simply has to be plowed and it always is.

There are two relatively short paths to the house that do need to be dug out, plus a path around the house to allow oil delivery, and another from the back slider to, and around, the hot tub.

The snow blower makes fairly short work of these -- but of late even that is more than I can do. So we either just have gone in and out via the garage, or, accepted the kindness of a friend who says he loves shoveling and who has been happy to do ours for us.

But yes, Spring is nice.

Although, again for health reasons, I no longer ride, my feelings remain just as here. And the Spider, at least, still awaits. :)

-don

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    Treynor likes this.