Did you enjoy doing burnouts when you were young ?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by fattboyzz, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    Seems like another life, another person. Or a book or movie I once read or saw.

2. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    My first car was a Ventura as well... it couldn’t spin the tires because by the time I got it, it was barely functional. But it was better than walking everywhere in the cold...

Attached Files:

Viking, fattboyzz and strat_strummer like this.
  3. Eddie

Eddie Squirt Startocaster Infinity Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    My first car was a 1981 Toyota Celica. RWD. I was able to do donuts in the parking lot in the snow.

But after I graduated, I graduated to a 1990 Toyota Celica. FWD. No more donuts. :(

Eddd, fattboyzz and strat_strummer like this.
  4. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I think that can likely be said about the best lived lives. That, not because every stage is equally "good" -- we all know that is sadly not the case -- but because it reflects that we are (or at least can be) multi-dimensional beings.

I was a young rocker.
    I was a parent.
    I was an ardent 'Ducatisti.'
    etc.

Yes, all of those remain with me. The make up the man I am today. But I am no that same person today.

For better.
    For worse.

Living things change. That is apparently God/nature's purpose and we really ought not fight it.

What we are today is creating what we will be tomorrow.

Here. Elsewhere? (who can say apart from faith)

Gotta love it. Gotta live it.

(And that, too, takes faith!) :)

-don

daan and fattboyzz like this.
  5. lost sailor

lost sailor Squier-Meister

Oct 7, 2013
    Wolf 359
    We was too po......the bus I rode couldn't do burnouts.....
    was years later when I got my 71 Satellite.....I blew a head gasket and rebuilt it from the heads up.....then it would really perform.....but I was
    getting a bit older and didn't want to do it much......except maybe getting back at a road rager.

fattboyzz likes this.
  6. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I had a friend,(lived next door), and he bought a RoadRunner. Magnum 4 speed. It was quick and still pulling hard at the end of the quarter. He started me on my Mopar period!
    Friday night, headed up Lemay Ferry towards the Steak and Shake, at a light, two women pulled up beside us in a Ford. Windows down, I said hello and Tim asked them if the car was fast. The girl told him that it was, but that she needed a 35 mph rolling start, since it was a dog from standing start.
    Now, we were playing. The car we were in beat cars people had serious money in. We were flirting. They were in what looked and sounded like a box stock Ford with decent tires.
    At thirty five, I dropped my arm side by side, and Tim did not even downshift. It looked like we were in reverse, and by the time Tim tried to get serious, they were simply gone. Did not even make much noise doing it.
    We turned off and headed back for the Lindbergh Steak and Shake instead.
    We learned later that it was the personal ride of a pro from the performance field and that as why she wanted the rolling start. She had never raced anyone. They were just out in his car. Built Super Cobra Jet and if it would launch, it would have eaten 19 out of twenty of the real performance cars in the area with street radials.

I saw the same thing out of a Cougar out on the highway at fifty five or sixty. A guy was trying to get over, and an idiot was staying right beside him by half a car to keep him from getting over. When he stepped on it, he smoked both rear tires on a 55 mph launch. I did not have to ask what was under the hood!

Wizzer, daan and fattboyzz like this.
  7. Eddd

Eddd Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    Does that mean the life cycle of dumplings? Ha ha.

8. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I was in court, waiting my turn and listening to the judge.
    A young man came in front of the judge for the second time. The judge asked him, did I not tell you to get a lawyer?
    Sure you did, but I don't have any money, and it is just a ticket.
    The judge kind of looked pleased with himself for a second, and then said, the first 10mph over the limit is 2 dollars a mile. The next ten are 5 dollars a mile. The next five are 25 dollars per mile. The next five are 100 dollars a mile. The next five are $250 per mile. Oh, and anything above that can be charged as a crime, to include jail time. Let me see? You were doing 133 in a 35. You do the math. You do the math and then ask yourself if you need a lawyer again.

That was a few years back. I am reminded what the authorities would do to some kid today, that got caught doing the things we did way back when.

9. CV50sFan90

CV50sFan90 Squier Talker

Oct 10, 2020
    Minnesota
    Had a 1967 Chevy C10 with a built 406ci small block. The bed floor was made of wood. Very little weight over the rear tires. That truck would roast the tires from a 40 mph roll, no problem. Sounded great, too. Miss that old truck. FB_IMG_1548017513317.jpg
    FB_IMG_1548017493474.jpg

10. nomadh

nomadh Squier-Nut

Jun 11, 2010
    SD CA
    I had a 67 corvette at 22 with flairs and wide tires and a posi but it really didnt interest. Barely remember doing it. Except 1 time in college parking lot looking for a spot. Kinda in a hurry someone behind me and I missed a spot with my nose just a little too forward to make the turn in. I tried to back up the 2 or 3 ft but the guy behind wanted the spot and wouldn't back up. Waited a bit revved a few. The guy wouldn't back off so I turned the wheel full lock revved it to the redline and dumped the clutch. It took 20 seconds for the car to slowly pivot in a cloud of smoke. As the wind blew the cloud
    away from our cars I could see the thick layer of rubber dust all over his windshield and paint as I tucked into MY spot. :)

fattboyzz likes this.
  11. Croppertone

Croppertone Squier-Meister

Mar 31, 2010
    Ontario
    Bet you wish you still had it, like I do mine.

12. Year Zero

Year Zero Squier Talker

Oct 27, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Hey did you say something? I was in the kitchen looking for the Doritos:p:D.

13. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I had a truck like this with a big block 402 hi-perf and a Saganaw 3 speed in the floor.
    That old truck was a real sleeper . It would roast the big mudders I had on the back and leave huge smokeclouds rolling behind . It was just a 2 wheel drive ,but would hang in there with the 4wd guys because of all the tourqe of that 402 ;)