Decided to keep it and start a project!

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by ReeseD, Jan 14, 2022.

1. ReeseD

ReeseD Squier Talker

Dec 2, 2021
    Florida
    I thought I was going to sell my 1997 Fat Strat but never heard back from anyone interested. I tested it with a new amp and it seemed the selector switch was bad. I used some electrical contact cleaner and it worked for a week or so then started cutting out again. Since it wouldn't be worth much to sell and I could only buy another cheap Squier with the amount I currently have to spend I decided to fix this one instead. It was my first guitar after all and I think I can turn it into something close to what I'd want as far as strats go.

So far, I've ordered all new electronics from Guitar Fetish, with their "kwikplug" connectors. I know some people have a thing for the midnight wine color but I don't remember ever liking it, so I'm considering plasti-dip or having a vinyl wrap done professionally. Next will be hardware.

Robb, Oldguitarguy, Exhead and 6 others like this.
  2. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Looking forward to seeing it! Whenever I think wine shaded guitars I think of Les Paul Customs. Put some gold hardware and black plastics on there, I bet that wine will take on a whole new look.

MrYeats, Robb, Eddie and 5 others like this.
  3. White Dog

White Dog Squier-Meister

Oct 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Midnight Wine is beautiful. Wasn't aware it was ever offered on Squier guitars. I have a 2014 MIM Standard in Midnight Wine, and it was my understanding the color was discontinued after that year.
    As always, I could be wrong---just going by what I remember reading.

4. ReeseD

ReeseD Squier Talker

Dec 2, 2021
    Florida
    Midnight Wine and Midnight Blue were 2 year only colors for the Squier, I think it was '97-'98. I always check the 1997 catalog when I forget the specs :)

Eddie, dbrian66 and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  5. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-holic

Feb 14, 2019
    Post some pics as you go. This sounds like it's gonna be good.

Eddie, fattboyzz, ReeseD and 2 others like this.
  6. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
  7. Texaspicker

Texaspicker Squier Talker

Nov 19, 2021
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Don’t get rid of your first guitar!!!! I, like so many others, did and have always been bummed about it.

8. Eddie

Eddie My Squier is on Fire !!!

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

Yep ... biggest mistake of my life. :(

Robb and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  9. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-holic

Feb 14, 2019
    Count me as a + 1 on what @Texaspicker and @Eddie said. My 1st Strat was an 84 MIJ. I had no idea just how good of a guitar it was until I let it go and then tried to replace it :(

MrYeats likes this.
  10. ReeseD

ReeseD Squier Talker

Dec 2, 2021
    Florida
    Step 1 complete. Had a little trouble squeezing all the wires in, the bigger pots were the tightest squeeze though. I tried to use my original pickup covers and switch tip as they had a really nice yellowing but they didn’t fit. At least I could use the pickguard without modifying it.
    It sounds soooo different.
    Any color suggestions? I was thinking something like surf green and plasti-dip has a “muscle car ‘50s aqua” that looks close. I also love Olympic white. 28A193B2-B0DE-4675-A332-8C2FBC48825B.jpeg 630A4893-88B0-49FF-ABA7-67B71BECCE66.jpeg

MrYeats, Shine, Clockwise and 2 others like this.
  11. Robb

Robb Squier-holic

Jan 13, 2011
    Chertsey Canada.
  12. White Dog

White Dog Squier-Meister

Oct 19, 2011
    Iowa
    In my opinion, you can never go wrong with any shade of white.

ReeseD likes this.
  13. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Looks good! I'm still partial to the black plastics and gold hardware though, maybe even just the black plastics and keep the chrome hardware...

ReeseD likes this.
  14. ReeseD

ReeseD Squier Talker

Dec 2, 2021
    Florida
    I think I associate black and gold with sports too much, lol. Those were my high school colors and SAINTS!

15. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Haha! Fair enough!

16. Texaspicker

Texaspicker Squier Talker

Nov 19, 2021
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I’d personally dig a surf green on that one but which color combo speaks to you ReeseD?

ReeseD likes this.
  17. ReeseD

ReeseD Squier Talker

Dec 2, 2021
    Florida
    I entertain other colors but this is the only one that sticks. 1C6405BB-C164-4EEE-9BB1-8F8728DD5E27.png