Covered Tele Bridge Pup?

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by Lanaka, Nov 25, 2021.

1. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-holic

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Anyone ever seen a nickel covered Telecaster bridge pup similar to the traditional neck pup?

If so, where can I find it?

Thanks in advance!

GG

2. Benlostforyears

Benlostforyears Squier-Nut

Aug 17, 2020
    Western NC
    All I could find on a search of a covered Tele bridge pickup was the one used on this 1972 National FT 440-2 Finger Talker. I guess they're not common because a nickel cover would reduce some of the high frequencies and change the tone that the bridge pickup of Tele is known for.

national FT-440-2.jpg

mb doug, Lanaka and corn like this.
  3. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-holic

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Ah, maybe that's why I havent seen any covered bridge pup by anyone in recent times. Even Google Search came up empty. I was thinking of getting one to get a homogenous look since everything else in my plans called for chrome and metal (pickguard, knobs, switch tip, bridge plate, control plate, etc.).

I'll keep looking tho.

That control plate looks interesting too! Hmmm... keep the toggle and convert the output jack into another pot, and flip the plate.

Googles: 1972 National FT 440-2 Finger Talker

Heeeyyy, that lam neck looks very similar to the lam neck on my c.1980s "Concert" Jazzmaster copy! Maybe the reason why I couldnt find any info on it is cuz I'm looking in the wrong decade. I'll check the 70s then, thanks bro! I think ye just helped me in more ways than expected!

4. Benlostforyears

Benlostforyears Squier-Nut

Aug 17, 2020
    Western NC
    Cool best of luck in your search. Telecasters originally had the ash tray bridge cover to achieve that polished look and hide the bridge pickup. Leo didn't like to leave parts exposed in his early designs. Unfortunately those ash tray covers are kind of tough to play around though.

Lanaka likes this.
  5. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-holic

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Oh that's right I completely forgot about those ash tray covers. Hmmm, I doubt there's a version that's compatible with the modern bridge like these:

Hi-Mass_Bridges-(2000x1000).jpg

Altho I can see a way that might work, 4 small L-brackets, mount them at the bridge plate's corner mounting screws, but will need find/make a compatible tray top.

The biggest issue I can foresee is that the trays will make palm muting a bit problematic. Probably the reason why so many were removed and old Teles are RARELY seen with one still intact.

If I were to cut the tray back to allow palm muting, the pup will be left exposed, which would defeat my purpose of installing a tray. Catch-22.

Hmm, guess instead of making a tray, I'll fab a chrome-plated brass cover like this one:

16379118083734014784270512642352.jpg

But one specifically for the Tele bridge pup, where the flanges will be at the sides instead of at the ends.

For humbucker pups, that's easy, get one with chrome-plated or nickel covers.

That's true, but there are ways to compensate, like using 500k pots for example. In fact, two of my fave Strats for which I liked their tone, my c.1980s Stage CS-327 and 2000±5 Austin AU-731, turned out to have 500k pots.

(left) 2000±5 Austin AU-731 (3-Tone Burst)
    (right) c.1980s Stage CS-327 (aged White)

Top_TradStrats-(1564²).jpg

In fact both are going metal, literally:

The Austin is getting chrome-plated brass pickguard & silver anodized aluminum rear cover with chrome-plated brass pup covers, chrome-plated brass knobs and matching chrome-plated brass switch tip. The saddles and block on the trem will be switched to stainless versions. The claw will be replaced with a milled stainless or carbon steel version.

The Stage will get brass pickguard and matching rear cover, brass pup covers, brass knobs and switch tip. The tuners, bridge and output jack ferrules will be subbed for brass-plated versions or be sent off to be brass-plated. The saddles and block will also be replaced with brass versions. The trem spring claw will be swapped for solid milled brass version. Ohboyo, I really digressed. Sorry.

The Telecasters I'm working on are these three below:

(L) 2020 Contemporary Tele HH (Red Metallic)
    (M) 2017 Contemporary Tele HH (
    Black Metallic)
    (R) 2021 FSR Bullet Telecaster (
    Red Sparkles)

3_Telecasters-AM(3000²).jpg

The aforementioned tele bridge plates are going on the two Contempraries on left.

The red Contemporary will start with a 59 4-wire and Custom Custom HH set using stock electronics and original white/black/white pg. Then I'll try the Vintage Stack Tele neck and a JB bridge using the Axetreme faux abalone black/silver pg.

There's a small chance that I may add a middle pup for a HSS or HSH setup, which will mean another Nashville SS pickguard in 4-ply black pearl, Brent Mason SH pg in 4-ply black pearl or Warmoth's SH pg in black/red/black.

Hot And Loud v1
    Vintage Stack Tele Neck (15.8κΩ, A5)
    JB Bridge (16.6κΩ, A5)
    B500k VT, vtreb, 0.015μF
    3-way switch N/B
    Nickel Pure Tone jack + modern cup.

Axetreme Black/silver faux abalone Tele pg.

Hot And Loud v2
    Hot Stack Strat Bridge (19.9κΩ, Cer)*
    JB Bridge (16.6κΩ, A5)
    B500k VT, vtreb, 0.015μF
    3-Way N/B, 2-way toggle ± middle.

* Will have to sink middle lower to balance output.
    * Also will need a new Nashville Black Pearl pg.

Vintage Not As Loud v1
    59 4W Neck (7.6κΩ, A5)
    Custom Custom Bridge (14.1κΩ, A2)
    B500k, VT, vtreb, 0.015μF
    3-way switch N/B
    * Stock then GFS 3-ply black pearl humbucker pg

Vintage Not As Loud v2
    59 4W Neck (7.6κΩ, A5)
    Vintage Hot Stack Plus Strat (11.9κΩ, A5)*
    Custom Custom Bridge (14.1κΩ, A2)
    B500k VT, vtreb, 0.015μF
    3-way switch N/B, 2-way toggle ± Middle.

* I will swap in a chrome-plated brass cover.
    * Will need GFS Brent Mason 4-ply Plack Pearl pg.

VERY Loud :eek:
    Distortion Neck (13.0κΩ, Cer)
    Alternative 8 Bridge (17.1κΩ, A8)
    α B500k VT, vtreb, 0.015μF
    3-way N/B switch, 2-way toggle ± middle.
    * Warmoth black/red/black custom pickguard.

The black Contemporary is already finalized as being Nashville SSS with:

Custom Ordered Strat Middle (20.5κΩ, A2)
    Hot Stack Tele Bridge (21.4κΩ, A5)
    B500k VT, vtreb, 0.015μF
    3-way switch N/B, 2-way toggle ± middle.
    Black Pure Tone jack + Modern Cup.

* Need adjust pup heights to match volume outputs.
    * Warmoth 2-ply red pearl SS pickguard.

I'm just waiting for the pot and switch components (vtreb & caps) to come in.

The red FSR Bullet will get a black anodized aluminum pickguard, black control plate, black bridge/saddles, black straplocks, black tuners, & black Pure Tone jack + black modern cup. B500k VT, vtreb, 0.015μF, 3-way switch. IF I cannot find either a chrome-plated brass cover for the bridge, then the pups depends on whether I have the depth:

#1: Stack Tele Set
    N: Vintage (15.8κΩ, A5)
    B: Hot (21.4κΩ, A5)

#2: Quarter Pound Tele Set
    N: (11.75κΩ, A5)
    B: (16.95κΩ, A5)
    I have a feeling that I'm going to end up with the Quarters.

This will be matched in its twin,

2021 Squier FSR Bullet Stratocaster (L)
    IMG_20210609_091223.jpg

It too has black hardwares (anodized aluminum pickguard, bridge, output ferrule, straplocks, & tuners). VTT, vterb, 2x 0.015μF caps, T1 = N/M, p/p T2 = B (pull adds Bridge).

The pups are likewise dependent on whether they can fit the thinner body.

#1: Stack Plus Strat Non-RWRP Set
    N: Classic Bridge (09.5κΩ, A5)
    M: Vintage Hot B (11.9κΩ, A5)
    B: Custom Bridge (14.5κΩ, A5)
    Chrome-plated brass covers added.

#2: Hot Stack Strat Set
    N: 13.00κΩ, Ceramic
    M: 13.00κΩ, Ceramic
    B: 19.90κΩ, Ceramic
    Black OE covers.

#3: Quarter Pound Set
    N: 12.37κΩ, A5
    M: 12.8κΩ, A5
    B: 13.4κΩ, A5
    Black OE fiber bobbins.

Likewise I suspect the Quarters will be fitted.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    mofojar likes this.
  6. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    thumbnail.asp.jpg1.jpg thumbnail.asp.jpg This maybe as close as you can get to a matching set. A set of tubes or gold foil pickups from GFS.

Lanaka likes this.
  7. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-holic

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Y'know something, TBH, I've never considered lipsticks nor foils, and I've completely forgot about GFS! OK, thanks, I'll look there!

surf green likes this.
  8. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-holic

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Ok, spent last 5hrs on GFS, comparing their pups in the Tele lines, before picking my faves, THEN looked at their Strat offerings. Sigh, looks like all of their lipstick AND foil offerings are too low output-wise for my needs. AND they don't have many parallels between their Strat and Tele lines. The Tele Fatbody looks interesting visually, but is a tad underpowered AND no equivalents in the Strat side. The Brightons for the Strat looks good but again is a tad underpowered AND no equivalents in the Tele side.

(This writer fell asleep mid-composition)

(8 hours later the writer wakes up again and had to delete TONS of gobblygook his dumb face typed while sleeping on the keys.)

The reason why I'm looking at the Tele AND the Strat lineups at same time is because I'm not just building the FSR Red Sparkle Bullet Telecaster. I'm also building it's twin, the FSR Red Sparkle Bullet Stratocaster. They're to be built as identically (at least visually and practically) as possible.

Thanks for the lead, I also found lots of other stuffs there that will help get more than a few other stalled and/or deferred projects back up in the running.

Guess I will be going with a set of Quarter Pounds and let the big A4 magnets serve as something to look at. At least the 0.25" posts are large enough to serve as the shiny focal points for the eyes amongst the sea of black anodized pickguard. That and the chrome plated knobs and switch tip (these are contrasting more so I can more easily see them in the dark, LOL)...unless I can find black knobs with indicators on them that are visible in the dark to reduce in-the-dark fumbling around.

When I design a remodeling, I try for a balance between aesthetics and pragmatics.

No sense designing something that looks cool, but is more difficult to work with. ;):D

surf green likes this.