Contemporary Telecaster HH

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Lanaka, Mar 8, 2021.

1. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    I have a red Contemporary HH and I like it... With the stock pickups and all... Just a good tele.

Lanaka, irvinlamar and BlueSquirrel like this.
  2. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Yeah, I liked the looks and feel of the Contemporary Telecasters, that's why I ended up getting two, initially the black metallic one, then the red metallic one. Altho I'm mildly disappointed in that they've downgraded the 2020 neck to a clear satin finish instead of the 2017's semi-gloss amber neck & fretboard. I prefer the looks of the older neck but I like the feel of the newer neck.

I love the sound of the SS Vintage Stack neck and Hot Stack bridge so much that I decided to use them in ALL 3 Teles I have. The main differences is that one Contemporary will have the standard SS pup arrangement, but have a reversed 3-pot 3-way switch controls, whilest the other will go Nashville SSS with the addition of a Custom Shop Strat middle pup designed to my specs and a similar reversed 3-pot/3way switch control. The third Tele will be very similar to first Contemporary with a SS configuration but with a Strat-like pot setup. The main differences in the two SS setups is one with poplar body and 2 volumes/1 tone/3-way switching whilest the Bullet will have a basswood body with 1 volume, 2 tones and 3-way switching. I may swap the two configs back n forth to find which setup works better with which body.

If I get a fourth Tele, I may move the Contemporary SS set to this guitar, especially if it's body is poplar, alder or ash. Then I'll revert the Contemporary back to humbuckers and possibly add a noiseless middle for a noiseless Nashville HSH Tele. I'm thinking probably a '59 4-wire+JB humbuckers in nickel. The middle could tentatively be a Vintage Stack Tele or some other stacked single or a single sized humbucker. I probably will use 3x B300k pots (1 volume with vtreb circuit and 2 tones for neck/middle and bridge with 0.033μF caps and a standard Strat 5-way switching (basically a modern Strat setup).

Well I'll figure that out later when I get the 4th Telly.

nicod98 and irvinlamar like this.
  3. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Here's a pic of my two new Red Squiers. The Red Metallic Contemporary Telecaster HH is Kaʻalalā, The Flame. The Red Sparkle Bullet Stratocaster is Kaʻālilelile, The Sparkle. They're in as delivered condition except I've pulled the plastics off Kaʻalalā already.

IMG_20210515_112723_HDR.jpg

If ye squint, ye can see Kakaha, The Force, my Black Metallic Contemporary Telecaster HH above and between the Red Squiers.

irvinlamar likes this.
  4. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Btw, I may change Kakaha, The Force's name. I'm may change it to Lānahu, Coal, which methinks is more descriptive of it's black metallic finish. Especially I just noticed that my names for the other Squiers are all physical descriptions of their finishes.

Kakaha, The Force ==> Lānahu, the Coal
    2017 Contemporary Telecaster HH
    (Black Metallic)

Kaʻalalā, The Flame
    2020 Contemporary Telecaster HH
    (Dark Red Metallic)

Kaʻālilelile, The Sparkle
    2021 Bullet Stratocaster HT FSR
    (Red Sparkle)

Kaʻōlinolino, The Glitter
    2021* Bullet Telecaster FSR
    (Red Sparkle)
    * It's on order, so it hasn't come in yet, but I'm assuming it will be a 2021 model too.

Kēpau, the Lead (as in the heavy metal Pb)
    2000 Stagemaster HSH Deluxe
    (Pewter (Gray) Metallic)

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    irvinlamar likes this.
  5. irvinlamar

irvinlamar Squier Talker

Mar 15, 2021
    Decatur, AL
    That Yamaha is crazy... Very nice

Lanaka likes this.
  6. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Yes The 2005 Yamaha EGC-203C is a distinctive looking red metallic guitar. What's cool about it is that despite its exotic looks, under the pickguard it's actually a standard 2-pot Strat with the pups and controls relocated a bit. So it's easy to mod. The hardest part would be sourcing a replacement pickguard. Reason why im looking to doing that is to switch it to a metal pickguard that has the Strat's recessed angled jackplate built or bolted onto the pickguard. The original factory pups aibt really great so swapped them iut for a set of SD Texas Hot Strat in white.

This guitar is a suitable stablemate for my real vintage 1984 Yamaha SC-300T in red metallic. This bad boy is still all-original with it's original Yamaha leatherette gig bag. The original pups on this one is actually pretty good as is, so am NOT in a rush to replace them, altho IF/WHEN I do swap them out, I'd use a set of SD Antiquity Surfer Strats, but I plan ordering the unreliced versions and swap to new cream or parchment covers to match the existing pups' light cream covers.
    IMG_20180508_164652.jpg

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    Strang_Banger likes this.
  7. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Heres a Warmoth simulation of my planned mods of the two Contemporaries.

Lānahu, the Coal, black metallic 2017 Contemporary Telecaster SSS
    Contemporary Telecaster SSS BF (1440x1600).jpg
    Contemporary Telecaster SSS BR (1440x1600).jpg
    You'll notice its a bit funny as Warmoth didn't really had a configuration for the Contemporary Telecaster HH, so I had to glitch it a bit by going back n forth to change the earlier choices after entering some of the latter choices.

But as ye can see, its a SSS setup with a Vintage Stack Tele neck, a Custom Shop Hot Twang Banger Stack Strat middle (instead of a standard Strat middle shown), and a Hot Stack Tele bridge pup. The bridge pup will be mounted on a copper backed adapter plate that is sandwiched between the stock humbucker ring (which may be deleted, if not needed) and a red metal humbucker trim ring.

The chrome control plate will be the 920D 3-knob plate, unlike the standard 2-knob Telecaster plate. The plate will be mounted in reversed configuration with 3x B250k pots and a 3-way switch. The first is a volume pot for both bridge and neck pups. The second pot is volume for the middle only. Both volumes will have a variable treble circuit installed on each pot. The third pot is a master tone pot with Mullard Mustard 0.33μF cap. The three way switch will switch between the neck and bridge pups only. Middle can be added by dialing in its volume. Middle only will be by dialing out the other pup's volume.

The switch tip and pot knobs are stainless steel pieces. Eventually the pickguards will be replaced with stainless versions too. Ditto with the stainless neck joint plates too. The tuners will also eventually be replaced with locking chrome tuners.

Kaʻalalā, The Flame, red metallic 2020 Contemporary Telecaster HH.
    Contemporary Telecaster HH BF (1440x1600).jpg Contemporary Telecaster HH BR (1440x1600).jpg
    The guitar will remain dual humbucker configuration with a '59 4-wire neck and a JB bridge, both in nickel covers, unlike the black pups shown. I will for now just use the stock white/black/white stock pickguard, altho eventually it too will be replaced by a matching brass version. The bridge humbucker will also have a brass trim ring added, as soon as I find one.

For now I will use the 920D chrome 3-knob control plate here altho mebbe I could get brass copy of the plate!

The reversed controls here will be 3 B500k pots. The first being a master volume with vtreb circuit added. The next two are push pull tone pots with 0.33 caps. First one is for neck and splits neck to top coil. The second is for bridge and splits bridge to bottom coil.

The three way switch will switch as per standard Telecaster. It's switch tip is a brass milled piece.

For black Lānahu, I'm still debating between the choice of either mirror polished stainless pieces. Or a swirl brushed surface treatment. If I go for the swirl brushed option, I'm gonna ask them to brush the guitar's set bolted on a board together so the markings are a matched set. I'm slightly leaning more towards the mirror polished version.

For red Kaʻalalā, the brass set, I'm gonna ask the maker to leave it natural. I've found a recipe for a red patina I'm going to use to make the pieces red colored. I'm going to mirror polish it first, then treat it, hopefully the end result is a polished red brass. This way I should only have to do a finishing polish after treatment and still retain the red coloring!

PS: when I'm ready to put the brass set onto Kaʻalalā I will swap out the nickel 59/JB for a gold version for better visual match. I may even spray transparent red over them for a closer match!

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  8. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Finally just received the schematics from Guiar Electronics. They are as I suspected for Kaʻalalā, but it's good to have professional confirmation on the design. For Lānahu, it's a more simpler than I had expected, but that's good as this means I need less parts than expected.

So now it's time for me to make a parts list and order the electronic parts for all 4 guitars!

All that is left after this is the 3 pups for Lānahu. Ironically these are the FIRST parts I've ordered for these projects. o_O

Oh, and I'm still waiting for the FSR Bullet Telecaster to come in at Guitar Center. It's still "in transit." :rolleyes:

9. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Hooray the 59 4-Wire Humbucker has arrived (in just 2 days, no less!) so I can go ahead and install it, along with the JB into Kaʻalalā, The Flame.
    IMG_20210522_120912_HDR.jpg

The Red Metal Humbucker Trim Rings has also arrived! And my hope has been vindicated, it's listing photos had it looking shiny reflective metallic red. But its metallic red finish is bit darker red and more a satin sheen that should match the Contemporary's dark red metallic quite well. I'll use the thicker bridge ring.
    IMG_20210522_121041_HDR.jpg

Come to think of it I should've bought two of these. Then I couldve used the 2 thin trim rings and 1 thick one for my 1985-87 Kramer Voyager body.
    IMG_20210522_132145_HDR.jpg

PS: The Kramer is a future project, I'll cover that in another thread in the appropriate forum. Btw, I already have a neck for it, it's from a 1988 Epiphone S-400.
    CE84BA11-D574-4685-BEDA-1CDE48F7B5D3.JPG

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  10. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Talk about excessive waste of shipping! I ordered a polished nickel Electro-Socket cup for the red Contemporary, and it arrived quickly, in a bag sized to hold HUNDREDS of of modern cups. :eek:

39381823-F43E-43A0-9A75-1C9185FC39F6.jpeg
    Yes, this itty bitty item came in THIS package! :rolleyes: Well, whatever, the shipping was free, but it appears that it initially was shipped via Amazon's system to the local warehouse before being transferred to the local post office for final leg.

11. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Supply Update: The second chrome 920D 3-knob plate for the Contemporary Telecasters and another black Pure Tone output jack came in, along with a black S bridge for a Tele (intended for the Red Sparkle FSR Bullet Telecaster) and a black Squier hardtail (intended for the FSR Bullet Telecaster).
    16220110267356254213243195807421.jpg

Slowly but surely I am collecting all the parts needed for the 4 project guitars!

I'm eager to get crackin on the actual upgrades soon! I will document my progress on their builds in their respective threads.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  12. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Oops just realized I typoed my last long after the edit window has closed. But the black Squier hardtail is intended for the FSR Bullet Stratocaster, NOT the Telecaster.

I'm sure the experienced folks here knows the parts distinctions, but I'm writing for the noobs and others who may not know the finer points of parts usages.