Contemporary Telecaster HH

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Lanaka, Mar 8, 2021.

1. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    32mm is the traditional Fender plate width. I don't know why anyone would choose to deviate from that, but even Squier did at least once. The plates on (some, maybe not all) Standard Telecasters were 34mm wide.

drewcp likes this.
  2. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Ah, 32mm are Traditional and 34mm are Standards. I see, thanks. Sigh, so many listing dont even specify the widths, citing just "Fender" specs or "American" or "Mexican" which are so vague. Suspect that many plates are the 34s and many of the pickguards are 32s, based on my admittedly very limited sample of plates and pickguards.

Well I ordered the plates, 2 of the 920D 3-knob plates, one black and one chrome, and an extra thick black 2-knob.

The Black 2-Knob Plate
    319+pSK59TL._AC_SY780_.jpg

The Black 3-Knob 920D Plate
    31n611Pm6hL._AC_SY780_.jpg

The Chrome 3-Knob 920D Plate
    31AImFchTeL._AC_SY780_.jpg

And a set of 4 black knobs with red marker.
    419EeqNFNrL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

Hopefully one of these plates will fit without needing me to cut something. I'll find out next week when they come in.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    grizzlewulf and Bob the builder like this.
  3. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Yeah, often when they state "US", "American", "MIM", "import", etc, they're only referring to the diameter of the potentiometer holes.

I once bought an inexpensive pickguard online and was dismayed to discover that it was cut for a 34mm control plate -- there ain't no fixin' that.

It's a minefield, I tell ya.

drewcp and Lanaka like this.
  4. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Heh, I just got blown up! :]

Hopefully I don't step on a few more with the 3 plates I just ordered. Otherwise, I'm going to have to go to the local shops and see what they have (and bring a caliper with me).

Thankfully the situation is not nearly as bad with knobs...altho about 95% of them ARE the 6mm pot holes instead of the 6.74mm/quarter inch versions. I distinctly prefer the 1/4" set screw versions for universal compatibility. If I must get the 6mm, then I lightly drill/ream the holes out a bit.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    LutherBurger likes this.
  5. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Well Parker offered to radius my Pearl Red guard, prolly will cost me a few bucks, but worth it to be able to use my original carved plate intended for Kakaka.

Altho I will now have 3 extra plates, with my luck it will be of mixed widths, LOL! We'll see, as one of them is arriving later today.

That reminds me, the Axtreme guard arrived. Altho it has the neck pup holes added, I forgot to ask about the bridge cut width and plate widths. Turns out it's cut for traditional spec! :( Oh well, my fault, I'll have to trim the bridge and either reuse the original plate, or if I'm lucky, one of the new plates that's enroute to me. No matter, bridge cutting is much easier as that's just 2 simple straight cuts.

Here are the pics of the Axtreme guard. It was sooo hard to get a good pic tho. I assure you, it looked WAY better in person than in the pictures.
    IMG_20210405_101050_HDR.jpg View attachment 196834

Amzon is taking forever to ship my other package, supposedly it will arrive this Saturday. But it hasn't even shipped yet. This package will contain the two 920D plates, a black Puretone jack, a black Electro-Socket output jack plate/cup and 4 black dome barrel knobs with a red jewel position marker.
    IMG_20210405_102952.jpg
    41edA0Cuh2L._AC_SY780_.jpg
    31li5zFB+FL._AC_SY780_.jpg
    419EeqNFNrL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

6. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Actually, I just thought of a better fix for the Axtreme guard: Instead of risking a botched cut on a 30$ plate, I'm gonna get another <5$ black humbucker trim ring and under cut the top corners so the guard will be under the trim ring. It should clear the ring's mounting screws in those corners, I only need take off just shy of 1/8" (3.175 mm).

EDIT: Actually more closer to 1/16" inch (1.5mm) per side, just double checked measurements. Ofc, this'll mean I'll have to install both humbucker ring and plate at same time as the pickguard has to slide under the neck/fretboard overhang. But that's ok, as that means the guard will be more securely attached to body with more points of hold-down. Less chances of a guard lift over time this way. That long distance between the two left bottom screw had concerned me before.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  7. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    I liked this Squier Contemporary Telecaster HH so much that methinks I'll be looking for another, a white pearl one, and only swap the humbuckers for a SD '59 Tele neck and JB (or '78 HB) bridge...with coil splitting, ofc. Actually I think I'll definitely use the 920D 3-knob plate on this one...hmmm.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  8. Jsjr

Jsjr Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2017
    Los Angeles
    It's not white pearl, there's no metal flake in the paint. It's just plain old white

9. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Turns out both pickguard are traditional 32mm plate notch. The carved silver/black plate is the Standard 34mm whilst the new black 2-hole plate is Traditional 32mm. I still do not know what spec the 920D plates are but IF it does get delivered Saturday I'll update y'all here.

POLL TIME.

Which combination of guard n plate looks best together and on which guitar? Mind ye, I'm not going to remove the bright chrome stock plate just for these pics so I just flipped the black/silver one to simulate the (oops accidentally hit Post Button) chrome one.

Keeping in mind the Forum's limit of 5 pics per post, I'm splitting the 6 pics to 3 each of the guards, each pic featuring a different plate.

A1: Red Pearl with Carved Black/Silver
    A1 RP + SB.jpg

A2: Red Pearl with Black
    A2 RP + BB.jpg

A3: Red Pearl with "Chrome"
    A3 RP + CH.jpg

Keep in mind one set will go on the black metallic Kakaha whilst the other will go onto the future white pearl version. Please pick yer fave Red Pearl combo and let me know which guitar to put it onto. Also a why would be appreciated!

I'll tell ye my choices afterwards after considering yer choices and explanations.

EDIT: Since posting this message, things has changed. Instead of the white version, I've picked up a red metallic version, new for 399.99 at Twin Town. So it's now kinda moot as to which guard goes on which guitar. Obviously red pearl will now go onto the black metallic Telly whilst the black abalone will go onto the red metallic Telly. Methinks the black Telly will get chromed or silver hardwares while the red Telly will get black hardwares.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  10. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Heres the Black/Silver Faux Abalone pics with each plate.

B1 Faux Abalone with Silver/Black
    B1 FA + SB.jpg

B2: Faux Abalone with Black
    B2 FA + BB.jpg

B3: Faux Abalone with "Chrome"
    B3 FA + CH.jpg

Again, please let me know which combo is your fave for which guitar? I'm getting the red metallic version of the Contemporary Telecaster HH, in addition to the black metallic C.T.HH so a Red Pearl set will go on one and a Faux Abalone on the other.

Methinks it prolly makes aesthetic sense to put the red pearl on the black guitar and the black abalone on the red guitar. I made this and last post before I bought the red metallic Telly.

EDIT: changes to reflect getting a red metallic instead of the white one.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    grizzlewulf likes this.
  11. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Aww bummers, I just got off the phone with Sweetwater. And yer right, its a specific shade of solid white not a pearlescent finish. Also bummers is that the C.T.HH has been discontinued so their last shipment of 3 guitars has already been spoken for. :(

Guess I'm going to have to either go Warmoth or get lucky and find a NOS lying somewhere or buy an used one. THEN refinish it in real white pearl. Still gonna go ahead with the poll assuming I get a similar Telly.

EDIT: Looks like the C.T.HH is still available at Fender itself. Hmmm.......

12. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Hmm just found the red metallic version. Decision decision...which to go for...

Think it's time for a cold shower to give it more thinking before pulling the trigger on this one.

13. Jsjr

Jsjr Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2017
    Los Angeles
    They pop up on Guitar Center's used gear website all the time. The shipping shouldn't be that bad of a hit to Hawaii.

drewcp likes this.
  14. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    yeah, true that. I've went ahead and bought the red one, the seller responded to my enquiry and said its new and their last one. Looks like they're gone elsewhere already AND prices are already inflating on places like Reverb and eBay with one listing already asking 800+ for a red one, sheezes!

I have 2 Fender Strats, 1 red metallic MIM '92 Standard and a black MIJ '07 Standard. These Squiers will match them with a black metallic '17 and a red metallic (dunno the year yet).

My only other Squier is a 2000 Stagemaster HSH Deluxe in gray metallic. I love them all and I expect I'll like the red one which methinks I'll leave it as humbucker in the bridge.

Still undecided whether I'll keep neck humbucker or not. Mebbe I'll try both ways, Tele neck or humbucker as I have the guards for either way, and decide thereafter.

EDIT: For now, I'll leave it as a HH, BUT if the Red Telly has a weak bridge humbucker like the black one, I'll replace it with the Black one's neck humbucker installed inverted. Maybe that will wake up the bridge.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    mb doug likes this.
  15. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    I've decided on a name for the red metallic Squier Contemporary Telecaster HH. It will be Kaʻalalā, the Flame. The black metallic one is Kakaha, the Force, because it will have a powerful set of pups installed (Vintage Stack Tele neck @ 15.8kΩ, Hot Twang Banger Stack Strat @ 18kΩ and the Hot Stack Tele bridge @ 21.4kΩ).

I think I'll start with a nickel JB in the bridge for Kaʻalalā, keeping the stock ceramic neck humbucker for now. Altho I might try a Hot Stack Tele neck in the future, if I do this I will change to linear 300k pots and Marsh Marshall 0.33μF caps.

FYI, my third Squier, the Stagemaster HSH Deluxe is now nicknamed Kēpau, Lead (as in the heavy metal), due to its pewter gray metallic finish and the fact it will have Parallel Axis Original neck humbucker, Parallel Axis Stack Strat middle and Parallel Axis Distortion bridge trembucker...as soon as SD have them back in stock, that is, LOL!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    mb doug and grizzlewulf like this.
  16. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Update: Kaʻalalā is enroute! Mighty fast of Twin Town to getting it on the road! USPS estimates ETA @ Monday the 11th Apr.

I may actually have it diverted to be picked up at the local post office for security sake. Lots of doorway package thefts lately. Or just camp me arse at the mailbox, LOL!

mb doug, drewcp and grizzlewulf like this.
  17. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Ok an overall update.

I'm still waiting on all 3 pickups. The custom shop middle and the stack neck and bridge.

The Puretone jack, Electro-Socket cup, and the 920D plates are still hasn't shipped from Amazon yet. Az estimates shipment on Saturday, nearly 2 weeks after purchase.

Both pickguards (Warmoth and Axetreme) are already here. Ditto most of the knobs and all of the color matching mounting hardwares (screws and bolts).

I'll get the locking tuners later as they're kinda expensive and I need financially recover from the purchase of Kaʻalalā. TBH, I actually used the tuner $ to buy Kaʻalalā. But figured best to buy the red C.T.HH while they're available new, before the price gouging starts.

The control plate is pending with Parker Rhoads. If the results are good, I think I'll have him design/build Kaʻalalā's plate too. (Or use one of his "standard" builds.)

Then all's that's left is to assemble Kakaha...and start on Kaʻalalā next!

mb doug and drewcp like this.
  18. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Surprise surprise, I ordered a Vintage Stack Tele neck and a nickel JB directly from SD and it's already enroute to here. Should arrive next Tuesday, 13 April. Kaʻalalā is scheduled to arrive the day before, on Monday, 12 April. The Amazon package supposed to arrive this Saturday, 10 April.

The speed at which the parts and Kaʻalalā is getting here has caught me somewhat unprepared. I havent ordered any pots nor switches for it yet!

Hmm, since it's a simple setup, methinks I'll go simple too. If I can get away with using the 920D plate, I'll go with a simple Nashville setup: 2 B300k volume pots, 1 B300k master tone pot, 3-way switch. The 3-way switch will be standard Telecaster setup. The first volume will control the neck pup, the second the bridge pup. Tone will control both pups.

If the 920D plate are compatible then Kakaha's setup will be similarly simple: 2 B250k volumes and a master B250k tone, 3-way switch. The first volume controls BOTH the neck and bridge pup, the second volume controls ONLY the middle pup. The tone works on all 3 pups. The 3-way switches between the neck and bridge as per standard Telecaster. This way I can add the middle to any position by dialing it in. Or have only the middle by dialing out the other two pups. Easy peasy simple yes?

Both control sets will use Mullard Mustard 0.33μF caps.

mb doug, drewcp and grizzlewulf like this.
  19. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Well the 920D plates has arrived and they're 32mm, so are compatible with my pickguards with NO mods! YAY!

So will go ahead with these two plates for Kakaha & Kaʻalalā!

Kakaha, The Force, black metallic will have the red pearl SSS guard and chrome plate. B250k pots: 2 volumes (1 for neck/bridge and other for middle), 1 tone, 0.33μF cap. 3 way switching for neck & bridge. Vintage Stack Tele neck (15.8kΩ), my Hot Twang Banger Stack Strat middle (18.0kΩ), Hot Stack Tele bridge (21.4kΩ). I'll swap to chrome locking tuners later and continue using the chrome bridge and block saddles. The socket will be replaced with black modern cups and matching Puretone jack. The strap buttons will be black Dunlop Strap-Lok.

Kaʻalalā, The Flame, red metallic will have the black/silver faux abalone HS guard and black plate. B300k pots: 2 volumes (1 for neck & other for bridge), 1 tone, 0.33μF cap. 3 way switching between neck & bridge. Vintage Stack Tele (15.8kΩ) neck & the nickel JB humbucker (16.6kΩ) bridge. Eventually the bridge and tuners will be switched to black versions...when they become available. I will also upgrade the socket to modern black socket and matching Puretone jack too. The strap buttons will be converted to black Dunlop StrapLoks.

The ONLY thing I haven't decided is the proper resisters to use as treble bleeds. What do ye recommend for the two guitars?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021 at 3:03 AM
    mb doug and drewcp like this.
  20. drewcp

drewcp Dr. Squier

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Is that Twin Town in Minnesota?

mb doug and Lanaka like this.