Contemporary Telecaster HH

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Lanaka, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    AAAHHhhh! Getting buried in parts paralysis. Been looking around on the various guitar parts websites and getting confused by the plethora of parts with sparse details. Starting to think it may be simpler if I just have someone build the durned thing. And cost about the same, factoring in the costs/time/effort on my part to put it together.

Found Parker Rhoad of The Rhoadhouse who does custom control plate builds that seems interesting. I've been emailing with him on a control plate setup.

Settled on a simpler setup: reversed setup with a master volume at top, push/pull master tone at middle, then the 3-way switch at bottom in normal neck up, neck+bridge middle and bridge bottom orientation. The masters affects all 3 pups. Balancing will be done via pup height adjustments. The push/pull add the middle at any time when pulled out. This setup should be easier to deal with while playing with minimal fuss.

He will mod my plate to fit the controls, so as soon as it arrives, I'll send it to UK for him to work his magic on it.

Looking forward to getting Kakaha done!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that it will also be solderless, which will be good IF* I get the urge to try different pups in future.

*Probably will happen, LOL!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    Bob the builder likes this.
  2. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Woo! Warmoth has shipped the Red Pearl pickguard. Should be here Monday!

OTOH, just got word from Guitar Electronics that they erred in listing the Tele Stacks as in stock when they're actually out and on back-order from SD. Depending on tiiming of backorder, I may either keep order open or cancel. Awaiting on timing info from them.

Axetreme is still "processing" my order. Not sure what that means, so I'll bide time a bit.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  3. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Hmm just flipped the pic of the control plate.

Standard is left, inverted is right.
    IMG_20210325_094021.jpg

Methink it actually looks better inverted!

The plate is now enroute too!

grizzlewulf likes this.
  4. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Well, just got a reply from Axetreme, apparently they were in the middle of a major cleanup/reorganizing hence the delay. They will add the holes and send it out Wednesday.

5. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Just got word that the carved plate is finally on the move! Surprisingly, it's NOT coming from Hong Kong. It's coming from California! Not that I'm complaining, it's scheduled to arrive next week. Sooner it gets here the sooner I can send it to the UK for the installation of the Rhoadhouse controls.

Altho now just realized that I've overlooked two things: an aesthetically matching set of pot knobs. Found several sets on Alibaba. All are solid milled aluminum knobs w/ 6 mm shaft holes w/ set screws. But I gotta verify whether the shafts can accomodate US-spec shafts. Hmmm, unlikely that they'll fit. US-spec is 6.7mm. MAYBE If I preheat the knobs to get them to expand, BUT they'll be permanent then as I wont be able to get them off w/o destroying sumthin. Nah pass...for now. Something to keep in mind for other projects that's not us-spec.

Just got notice from USPS. The Warmoth pickguard has landed on the island! Expected delivery is tomorrow! Sad that everything else are not here yet. :(

Last nite I realized that I haven't shopped for knobs, the bright shiny stock knobs won't work with the new setup due to them being chrome and 6mm.

Debating between red (to tie in with the red pearl pickguard), gray or silver (in sync with the control plate), black (matches guitar body). I'll keep on looking around tho.

6. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    RE: Warmoth Pickguard - Unboxing & Photos

It's Here! Warmoth's red pearl pickguard has arrived! And early at that, normally delivery is @ 11am-ish, it came in @ 830am!

Nice way to wake up in morning. ;)

Here's some pics of the 'guard...

First outta the mailing package with the order form...
    IMG_20210329_095143_HDR.jpg
    Pardon the flash bomb, but it does look better in person than in photo!

Heres a pic of it after I slid it under the strings and had it sitting on the bridge humbucker trim ring over the stock stuffs.

Full Front View.
    IMG_20210329_094850_HDR.jpg

Closeup Body Only.
    IMG_20210329_094927_HDR.jpg
    Oh and the sharp-eyed readers may have noticed that I've already flipped the stock control plate & controls. ;)

Can't wait for the rest of the stuffs to arrive!

Enjoy!

Robb likes this.
  7. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Just got notice that the knobs order from Guitar Pedal Parts has shipped. I've actually ordered quite a few knobs, I'll decide which ones will go onto Kakaha and the rest will go into my new parts bin for use on other projects. Probably will decide on both pickguards and marry them together.

Screenshot_20210329-160439-PE5222.jpg
    These are all 1/4" set screw knobs so should work with almost any pots used on guitars. They all are solid aluminum knobs too. As these were designed to be around people's big fat clumsy feet, they should likely outlast the guitar, ...or at least the pots. ;) Oh and the colors are anodized on. I'm thinking of using the bigger sizes for the volume and the small size for the tone for finer control (on volume) and more room (from tone for volume). Btw, the Magpies are 12.7mm.

One thing I love about set screw knobs: They're easy to change on a whim!

drewcp likes this.
  8. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I'm becoming disillusioned in the pickups in mine, so I have to decide what to put in it. I have to see what else is available in standard HB size besides P90 types, 'cause I already have HB sized Gretsch types in my Metallic Orange Affinity Tele, and I don't want to have to do any mods. I'll look at GFS to see what else they have. I know they have some Ricky types too, and maybe some gold foils.

drewcp and Lanaka like this.
  9. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Now I'm super confused. GFS has several different P90s, several different gold foils, Dynasonic types, dual lipsticks, WRHB types, and the Ricky style ones, all in standard HB size.

Lanaka likes this.
  10. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Yup, GFS does have many options, even the big guys like Seymour Duncan is starting to offer more options for humbucker sized alternatives.

I'm considering 3 of SD's Phat Cat P90-in-a-humbucker for another project.

The large numbers of options available at GFS is rather overwhelming. It's gonna take me time to learn about what's available at GFS, that's why I opted for SD because I'm well familiar with their line and know what to expect from their standard stuffs. This way I can get Kakaha off to a running start immediately.

Sorry I'm not as much of a help there. TBH, I've been drooling over some of their guitar body offerings. I'm actually considering buying one of them even tho I really shouldn't be starting another guitar project when I already have so many enqueued.

11. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I'm poor and can't afford SD. I started listening to samples of the GFS pickups on YouTube last night, and I really like the Dynasonic ones more than the P90s or gold foils. But, at $70 a set, I now want a guitar with all 3, lol. They make gold foil Strat ones too!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    Lanaka likes this.
  12. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    LOL, good for ye! Go for it! At 70$ a set thats a very good price. It's cool that GFS also makes their stuff solderless cuz that allows ye to easily change pups with just a tiny screwdriver.

Perhaps I'll change plans for a few of my enqueued projects and use GFS pups instead of SD. Altho SD has dropped prices a bit on some of their pups, it IS still rather expensive! I'm glad they're cut their prices big time on the custom shop build yer own pup tho. Used to be like 300$+ to build just 1 single coil pup. Now I just paid 168$ for my "Hot Twang Banger Stack Strat!"

Oh, btw, I called SD and got confirmation that my order is in the queue to be built, just have to wait for my turn on the bench. There's a bunch of earlier orders that needed fulfillment first. I can understand that and can wait (barely patiently, LOL)!

-Lan

EDIT: Just listened to that vid ye linked. Sounds nice and different. (Elmer Fudd voice) Vewy vewy interesting!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    DougMen likes this.
  13. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Just realized I ordered the knobs without getting any correctly sized hex keys for the set screws so ordered the two keys and 2 more knobs, these are the larger 24mm knobs in black and silver.

Surprisingly, despite the 2 days delay, the second shipment should arrive on the same day as the first, Friday April 2.

Tis a pity tha they don't have any 24mm knobs in red tho. :(

Screenshot_20210330-025114-PE5223.jpg

The larger diameter should allow finer control of volume. Still gonna use a smaller size knob for the tone, to give more room to the volume knob.

-Lan

14. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    SD just got in touch with me, asking for details on what I wanted in my pup. They're gonna get started on my pups soon! I told them what I wanted and asked about the status on the backordered Vintage Stack neck and Hot Stack bridge. They said they'll look into it, and if possible, expedite them altho, no guarantees on that point.

15. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Parker Rhoads also got back to me on the control plate and shipping is only 25$US, so ge's now getting a quote together for me.

My control plate I ordered "should" arrive tomorrow. One thing I'm gonna do is test the fitment of the plate to make sure it's compatible (I've learnt long ago to always double check Chinese-made stuffs for proper fitment).

Assuming it DOES fit, I'll box it and send it halfway around the world to the UK. Pity I can't collect passport stamps for this guy. If NOT, then I'll have to either trim the plate or just opt for a new plain black plate ...or a red one.

16. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    The carved tele control plate is out for delivery. However today it is late, normally mail is here by 1130am, but its 1245pm and still no mail. Figures, today's the day off for the normal delivery lady.

I shall abide...barely patiently...

17. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Well the plate is here!

IMG_0405_HEIC.jpg

Now to confirm fitment on Kakaha! (Fingers crossed!)

drewcp and Bob the builder like this.
  18. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Uh oh. This has correct length, BUT it is wider, so it won't fit in the curved notch in pickguard. :(

Didn't know that there could be a difference in widths. The new plate measures ~34.5mm. The stock plate measures 32mm. Which is considered standard width?

19. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Did some research, looks like one spec is 34.2mm/1.5" whilst the other spec is 32mm/1.25". BUT, I'm not sure which one is the US spec and the Import spec. Well, that's a learning experience. Should've realized that if there's differences between the US & Import Strats then there could be differences between the Teles too. :/

Well, guess gonna have to find a 32mm plate. Turns out the Warmoth guard has a 32mm control plate curve. Have a feeling a humbucker bridge automatically makes it a 32mm spec. I could cut the guard but I'm not confident that I can cut it in a clean curve. We'll see, I've ordered 2 black plates. One is a generic black "Fender" spec, whatever that means. The other is a 920D black 3-knob plate. I'm hoping this one is US-spec as these guys appears to have a rep for quality US-spec components. Guess I'll find out next week.

EDIT: 920D, not 929D. Typo fixes.

20. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    I'm gonna hope I don't irritate Mr Rhoads with a spec change.

If the 920D plate fits, I'm thinking of a hybrid modified Strat like setup. 2 volumes and a tone knobs, 3-way switch.

First pot is master volume for neck and bridge, linear 250k. Second is volume for middle pup ONLY, linear 250k. Third pot is push/pull master tone for all 3 pups, pull to add middle pup at any time, linear 250k.

Actually, here I do not know how linear vs audio taper affects tone, anyone can chime in here? Should I go linear or audio taper on tone?

Finally the 3-way switches between neck and bridge pups only as per standard Telecaster. The p/p pot can add the middle at any time.

The other option is the 2-pot config:

Pot1 is master volume for neck and bridge, linear 250k. Pot2 is middle volume, p/p linear 250k. Pull to add middle pot at any time. Then the 3-way switch toggles between neck and bridge as standard Tele. For tone control I'll just use my Boss 7-band EQ pedal.

Which ye think is the better control config?

Thanks in advance!
    -Lan