Contemporary Telecaster HH

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Lanaka, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Ok here's the simulation of the pickguard on a similar black Tele body. Please note that they did not have an image of the Hot Stack Strat middle pup nor a pup ring mounted representation of a Hot Stack Tele bridge.

Other than the fact the switch tip is white (they're outta black tips), this is the closest I could get (ignoring I had to use gloss black instead of black metallic)...

Black-Red-Black
    BRB Body.jpg
    Red Pearl
    RP Body.jpg
    Blue Shell
    BS Body.jpg

Hmm, interesting. What ye think?

-Lan

Robb and Hadronic Spin like this.
  2. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Hmm, just tested the tele pups iI got off Craigslist and they're dead. So they are only good as paperweights. However the humbucker does appear to work and reads just shy of 8kΩ.

So, moral of the story: dont trust everything ye buy on Craigslist. Well, at least now I have a tele pup set to take apart to see how it's put together. And have a humbucker to add to my random parts bin. I'm not complaining (much) as it was only 25$.

The dead tele set
    IMG_20210319_202858.jpg

The "Gibson" humbucker, top.
    IMG_20210319_203610_HDR.jpg

The humbucker, bottom.
    IMG_20210319_203509_HDR.jpg
    I think it's a bridge humbucker since the wires are coming out of the same side as the pole screws. But who know's there's always someone who design something differently, LOL! Twill be interesting to see how it sounds tho...

-Lan

Robb, Hadronic Spin and grizzlewulf like this.
  3. Jsjr

Jsjr Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2017
    Los Angeles
    I like the white pickguard

Lanaka likes this.
  4. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Lol, me too, but wanted to go try a different way since most of my strat's pickguards are whites, or aged white of various shades ranging from parchment to cream. And most of my black guitars has black pg.

I've decided to strike the blue shell from the list. I'm about 50/50 between the B-R-B and the Red Pearl. Hmmm...

Btw, I just realized the existing pickguard on Kakaha is actually a really really light mint green!

Robb likes this.
  5. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Hmm, after rereading my last post, I realized B-R-B would add another black pg to my black guitar herd. All but two black guitars has black pg, the two has either cream or parchment.

I think I will go with the Red Pearl to have something different. Also Red Pearl would eliminate the need to convert the chrome bits to black. I think it actually looks better with chrome than black hardwares!

Robb likes this.
  6. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I liked the Abalone one the most! But, I think that a darker blue or black pearl would look great too.
    s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    Lanaka and Robb like this.
  7. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    LOL, funny ye say that! Cuz upon looking at Kakaha, I realized the neck humbucker was pickguard mounted so would require drilling the original pickguard to fit the adapter ring so opted out of the neck adapter and instead ordered a second pickguard that has only the Tele neck pup hole (altho I will have to add height adjustment holes before I mount the pg and pup).

It's from Axetreme Creations, and they call it the Black/Silver Faux Abalone.
    products-IMG_7100.jpg

I've already ordered it and it should get here shortly too. Until my middle pup gets here, I can at least start installing the rest onto Kakaha and enjoy it until it's time to move everything over to the Red Pearl and add the middle as a push/pull add-on to the tele setup.

Oh btw...

There's another pickguard from Axetreme I'm drooling over for a Strat that has a matching trem cover.

Blue/Green Faux Abalone Strat Pickguard
    products-strat-blue-ab-pg.jpg

Blue/Green Faux Abalone Strat Trem Cover
    Blue-abalone-Stratocaster-tremolo-cover.jpg

Tis a pity that they don't have a version for the Telecaster nor a Les Paul. I have a flame maple blue/green burst Les Paul that would be perfect with this color pickguard! The Agile even has real abalone inlays in the ebony fretboard that should nicely match the pickguard color!
    IMG_20180508_170952151.jpg

They do have a pup switch ring in this color...
    products-blue-abalone-LP-trim-ring-CLOSE.jpg

BUT it makes no sense to get it without the matching pg.

Oh well, I've bookmarked the strat set for later.

Aside from a few pieces, I think I have ordered everything for Kakaha. I'm just shy of the 700$ mark all told, including the guitar purchase price.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    Robb and DougMen like this.
  8. Jsjr

Jsjr Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Is the black silver faux guard routed for a bridge humbucker or a traditional tele bridge route? If it's routed for a traditional tele bridge, you're going to have to cut the routing space a bit wider to accommodate the humbucker mounting ring. It's not that big of a deal, I just used some wire cutters for mine. That's the good part about ordering from Warmoth, you can choose exactly which bridge routing you want.

Robb likes this.
  9. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Yup, the Warmoth bridge cut is for the humbucker ring's 3-5/8" width (I measured Kakaha's pup ring to make sure*). The Axetreme didn't specify, but I assumed it to be for the ashtray's 3-3/8" width. So yeah, I figured on trimming 1/8" off each side in addition to drilling the pup height screw holes.

* I find it interesting that after measuring ALL of my bridge humbucker equipped guitars, that the width of the pup mounting ring varies as little as 3-1/4" to as large as 3-3/4", but most are at 3-3/8" or 3-5/8" wide. *

IF it's 3-5/8" wide, then I'd guess they did so to simplify production across board, altho I kinda doubt it as they have lots of pickguards that are supposed to be exact repros of various famous artists like SRV.

Personally, I'm not interested in making exact repros, I'm more interested in making guitars that are inspired by the artists.

For example, my 2007 Fender Japanese Standard Stratocaster is a gloss black humbucker equipped basswood/maple/maple Strat. I'm not gonna change the nearly perfect condition body at all. Instead, I'm swapping the pickguard and trem cover to an aftermarket one. Hmm, maybe I can stick that Axetreme Blue/Green Faux Abalone on it...hmmm, IF I can get a HSS or HSH pup config then yeah why not! Otherwise it's the originally planned Warmoth Black-Red-Black with matching trem cover. It would either look cool (with the B/G Faux Abalone) or look sinister (with the Warmoth B-R-B + blackout decal that has a copy of the existing Fender marking on it to make it look like it has matching headstock. The sound should be EVH inspired with a set of SD Custom Shop '78HB and Little '78 SC-sized humbuckers that should add that 70-80s brown sound.

My Austin AU-731 is a beautiful 3-tone sunburst SSS chinese elm/maple/rosewood strat. I decided to have it go the Billy Gibbons route by simply adding a complete set of SD's Red Devil SC-sized humbuckers and go flatwound 9s on the strings.

Likewise I so did my 2012 Agile AU-3010SE Les Paul, which is a lovely blue/green flame maple burst HH with maple-capped mahogany body with ebony fretboard on the mahogany neck. As is, it's already a beautiful guitar, so I'm not going to be making any mods to the woodworks or hardwares (which are top shelf stuffs like Grover tuners, TUSQ nut, etc.). Even the stock pups sounded excellent, but I decided to go follow the Reverend and will install a new set of Pearly Gates in zebra which should match the existing aesthetics nicely (black guard, knobs, switch tip, and cream bindings). It already has a set of Pearlys in nickel in it. But recently started to liking the zebra aesthetics as well.

My 1995 Austin AU-766 Les Paul is a nice 2-tone Sunburst with chrome hardwares and amber knobs. It doesn't have any maple in its construction, as far as I can tell, it appears to be all mahogany. I'm following Jimmy Page with a set of gold Whole Lotta Humbuckers, the Page inspired electronics (SD's cream Triple-Shots and EMG's SPC & EXG pots & 2 A500K pots). Also gonna swap the metal hardwares to gold versions and try to retain the amber knobs. Oh yeah and swap the pup switch to a gold version with cream tip.

I have many other projects (either completed or ongoing or not started yet, hell I think I have too many projects, LOL). But I'm not going to list them as this post is already getting too long. If there's enough interest in them, let me know and I'll start a new thread in the appropriate forum and list them there.

Thanks again folks!
    -Lan

10. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    (Resumed from Rmason443's thread)

I'll keep an eye on Guitar Center now that they have a location on Oʻahu in Pearl City. But another option is Warmoth. While it can be much more expensive in the long run, at least I can spread the cost by buying the guitar in sections (body first, then neck, then hardwares, and finally electronics).

Hmm, methinks I'll bend an optic there and see how much it'd cost to build my ideal Telly...

11. Jsjr

Jsjr Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Warmoth gets expensive very quickly

Robb likes this.
  12. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Ahhh yeah, I noticed. :eek: Hmm, still "building" the guitar, exploring the options. Plus can buy each section (body, neck, etc) separately. Try doing that at Fender or Gibson Custom Shop! :D Still, its an interesting exercise in designing a git. I'll keep on "building" my guitar then tally the total price. ;)

Robb likes this.
  13. Jsjr

Jsjr Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Warmoth makes great stuff. You can always buy direct from Fender too. Their options are very limited for bodies though. The Stratosphere is always a great place to get bodies and necks but due to events over the last year, their inventory has suffered, especially in the tele guitar bodies.

Robb likes this.
  14. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Yup, I think that's true of everyone I've checked. Warmoth, Guitar Electronics, Axetreme, even Guitar Fetish. Altho strangely (or perhaps not, now that I think about it) Guitar Fetish's factory buyout section is quite large! o_O

Robb likes this.
  15. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Methinks at the very least I'll get the core of the next gita (body, neck and pickguard) from Warmoth, then source everything else that's cheaper elsewhere... (still "playing" on the building page).

An update, the pup adapter ring and mounting screws order has shipped! Still waiting on shipping notice for the Warmoth pickguard (prolly by Thurs/Friday) and the Guitar Electronics Tele Pup Set (prolly Friday).

Also awaiting a reply back on Axetreme regarding the Faux Abalone Tele Pickguard and Seymour Duncan "Hot Twang Banger Stack Strat" orders.

I just realized I haven't ordered the electronics and control plate set. Which may be a good thing cuz I'm eyeballing this ebay listing for a black silver control plate.

s-l400 (1).jpg

Hmmm, decisions decisions...

PS: Methinks this Black/Silver control plate would better match the Black/Silver Faux Abalone than the Red Pearl! I think I'll marry it to the Faux Abalone and get the chrome one for the Red Pearl...unless I find a Red/Chrome version...hmm

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    Robb and Jsjr like this.
  16. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Ah, screw waiting for a reply, got a 15% discount code so bought the Axetreme pickguard. I expect it to ship by Monday or so.

Shouldn't be too hard to add the pup mounting screw holes myself.

Also went ahead and ordered one of that black/silver control plate for the Faux Abalone pickguard.

Robb likes this.
  17. Jsjr

Jsjr Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2017
    Los Angeles
    The control plate will look sweet combined with the abalone. I'm torn between chrome or black chrome knobs for that control plate. Either will look fantastic but just another thing to swap around until you finally decide which you like best.

Robb likes this.
  18. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    I'm thinking black chrome should match the color feel of the control plate better than chrome. Especially if I also lightly fill the knurls with black.

Robb likes this.
  19. Jsjr

Jsjr Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Black was my first thought when I saw the plate.

20. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Heh, I'd think ye might've done so. ;) I've decided on the control layout I want: Reversed standard tele layout, except the volume pot will be a push/pull to add the middle pup to any of the 3 positions (B/B+N/N) to have (B+M/B+M+N/M+N) for a total of 6 possible tones. If I convert the tone pot to a second volume pot then one will control the normal tele pups while the p/p will control the middle pup. If I do this then I'll move the p/p to be next to the switch. The benefit of doing this is that I can have a 7th tone: the middle by itself.

Another pot option is to use a stacked concentric pot next to the switch, the lower knob is the master tone while the upper is the middle volume.

EDIT: On second thought: use the concentric pot at top as master volume and tone for the normal Tele pups and use the push/pull volume at second location as volume for middle and turn on/off same pup. The switch will be at bottom in nornal orientation (up is neck, down is bridge).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021