Contemporary Telecaster HH

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Lanaka, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    LOL, tell me about it! I grew up in Pearl City at that time. Yeah, lovely place here! Lol, that's why I've given up driving a car and now ride "Fasi's Limo Services" (aka TheBus to those who are not familiar with the local joke). So "ainokea" about traffic altho I don't even ride the bus during peak times cuz it too crowded. As for getting wet, "ainokea" again, that's why I wear a western hat and either a trenchcoat or a duster. One other good thing about wearing these: I stand out so it's easy to meet strangers for guitar purchases. I just tell them to keep eyes peeled for them. ;)

LutherBurger likes this.
  2. Jsjr

Jsjr Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Can't go wrong with the JB. I wouldn't even mess with installing a single coil pickup in the middle, but if you're going to do it, don't overlook the DiMarzio true velvet middle pup.

Lanaka likes this.
  3. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Installing the middle shouldn't be hard, as the body is already routed for a single coil in middle so I'll go Nashville with a new custom pickguard from Warmoth with everything precutted. I thought about DiMarzio, but decided against that as I'm already gonna go with either the JB or the WLH bridge. There's a possibility of a polarity/winding mismatch between the two brands. I've found out the reason why so many says that the two cannot be mixed is that one brand's RWRP configuration is the other's normal config. They're backward to each other! I think its possible to mix the two but would entail the possibility of at least reversing the wire connection and flipping the magnet(s). Nah too much work on what's supposed to be plug in & play project.

So I'll stick in a Twang Banger in the middle. I've already ordered one laat night...erm earlier this morning. Ended up staying up all nite searching the web for upgrades for the Telly.

Noticed the stock pups are both reading ~7.8kΩ, which is odd because the neck is considerably louder and fuller than the bridge, despite the bridge being only half the distance from the strings than the neck.

So I'll use the 8.3kΩ Twang Banger and either the 16.6kΩ JB or the 8.8kΩ Whole Lotta Humbucker in the bridge. I might just try both as I'm getting a set of both the Hot Rodded (JB/Jazz) for my Austin AU-766 LP and the Whole Lotta Humbuckers for my Cort Flying V. Hell, I can even try the '78 Humbucker which is slated for my 2007 Fender Japanese Standard Strat which is changing to HSS pup configuration with a '78 Humbucker and 2 Little '78 SCS humbuckers in middle and neck. We'll see.

Pics coming soon, I literally just woke up, LOL!

-Lan

grizzlewulf likes this.
  4. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    I had a good friend there who wore those things, despite the heat and humidity. If your real name is Ray, I'm gonna poop myself.

Lanaka likes this.
  5. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Nope, not Ray. Lance. ;)

I have several sets for different weather. A lightweight black trench for daily wear. A tan duster for wet days. And a heavy black leather duster for cold times. Actually I have several more trenches for special occasions.

I have a black leather Aussie hat for daily wear. An Aussie lightweight brown kangaroo-skin hat for semi-formal occasions (along with a matching double-breasted tan trench). And a a black oilskin Western hat for wet days.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    LutherBurger likes this.
  6. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Here's the photos of the Contemporary Telecaster HH in black metallic. It's serial numbers is CY171202124 (China, Yako, Zhangzhou factory, 2017, #1202124).

I did a little cleaning (dusting and wiping after sanitizing) on getting home. Noodled a bit overnight. Then took a couple quick photos.

First is the front.
    IMG_20210316_085801_HDR.jpg

Next is the rear.
    IMG_20210316_085900_HDR.jpg

Enjoy. I know I will enjoy it too!

Mahalo folks!
    -Lan

PS: It was really hard to get the metallic to show up in the pics, even worse when the color is also black! It's best seen in the tummy cut curve on the back.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  7. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    One thing, as some of ye may already know, I have a tradition of naming my guitars in Google Hawaiian (sometimes I get results that are technically correct but hilarious, other times its waaaay off, lol).

I'm debating between two names:

Kaleolele, a concatenation of Ka Leo Lele, The Flying Voice, based on the Hawaiian word for broadcast. A homage to the original name of the Telecaster, the Broadcaster.

OR

Kaleomamao, from Ka Leo Mamao, The Distant Voice, which would be a loose translation of the Telecaster name.

I'm kinda leaning towards Kaleolele. What ye folks think?

-Lan

Robb, mofojar and Jsjr like this.
  8. Jsjr

Jsjr Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2017
    Los Angeles
    The fretboard on your guitar is much nicer than my contemporary tele. The fretboard looked like somebody bleached it to the point where it almost matched the white painted headstock. Drove me nuts to the point of replacing the entire neck, which was a shame because I loved the jumbo frets.

Robb and Lanaka like this.
  9. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    I'll be surprised if my Telly had more than a few hours of use on it. Under the tarnish, the frets looks almost new. The board still has its original gloss undamaged. Love the fact the neck's backside is semi-gloss or satin. I prefer semi-gloss or full satin necks. I get sweaty hands so I tend to get sticky on glossy necks.

Owch, hate to think what yer Telly went thru before ye got it. My 2000 Fender Starcaster S1 has a weird maple fretboard too. It has the rough unfinished texture of cardboard, dunno whether it came from the factory like that. That's not a real problem because it has medium-jumbo frets so my finger tips don't contact the board much. Gotta admit its very cool in a strange way. Certes it's unique in my herd!

Yeah, I LOVE the medium-jumbo frets on the Telly. I'm so used to the full jumbo frets on my Ibanezs and ESPs that I'm still adjusting to the itty bitty frets on my two Fender Standards (92 MIM & 07 MIJ), the Stage CS-327 and the Austin AU-731. I think when these guys are up for a refret I'm gonna upgrade them to jumbo SS frets.

Later on, I'll get a new family photo of all my Fender/Squiers together. I'll upload it here too!

-Lan

Robb likes this.
  10. Jsjr

Jsjr Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2017
    Los Angeles
    It's found a good home with you. Definitely be a fun project with what you've got planned for it.

Robb and Lanaka like this.
  11. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Oh yeah twill be fun putting this one together! Warmoth pickguard and most of the electronics. Black Twang Banger middle with either a nickel JB or Whole Lotta Humbucker in the bridge.

Phase 2 will be Grover locker tuners, roller string trees. Looks like the saddles should be good enough for a whiles so I'll leave it be.

Oh almost forgot to include nickel Dunlop StrapLoks in phase 1 as all of my straps has StrapLoks installed. I have quite a few of those in stock as I buy them whenever I see a deal on them for I will eventually have them on all of my guitars!

-Lan

Robb likes this.
  12. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Just had an impulse purchase of a craigslist pickup "set" that was listed as a "roadhouse tele set" for just 25$. I am not aware of a Roadhouse Tele, a Strat yes, but a Tele nope. Couldn't find any references to such a Tele online. Anyone knows of one? For the price, I am not expecting much.

The kit consisted of 3 pups, a pair of pots and a 3 way switch. The pups consist of a tele neck, a tele bridge and a humbucker bridge with a "Patent Applied For" sticker but doesn't look right to be a real Gibson HB. There are no other marking except for a sharpied 8.85, which I assume to be the Ω.

I will check their resistances and upload a set of pics for your perusal later.

Methinks this is a random set of pups and parts but not complaining as I keep a parts bin of such parts for rainy days and bull**** projects (where I just sorta randomly throw a random pile of parts together and see what happens). Sometimes a random pup works better for a given project than an expensive aftermarket one. ;) Go figure, LOL.

BTW, I've settled on Kaleolele as the current formal name but I've been known to change the name as the project evolves so we'll see what happens. Have a nickname for it in reserve: Kakaha, from Ka Kaha, The Force. Which is similar in sense to Kamana, Ka Mana, The Power which is on my Stage CS-327 which has 3 Seymour Duncan Hot Stack Strats on it.

I think I will go tele neck, strat middle and humbucker bridge as final HSS config for the Telly. Low, mid and high outputs, respectively. Hmm, mebbe I'll throw this unknown tele neck into my Telly when the Twang Banger and JB arrives. I'm glad I delayed ordering the Warmoth pickguard (HSH form). I'm gonna change the neck pup to Tele neck and order the pickguard now. I may change the neck pup to a SD piece but will have to check what SD has to offer in the way of neck Tele pups.

Well off to bed I have a busy day tomorrow. I'm gonna get fitted for a new set of hearing aids! Wee no more using my iPhone as a hearing aid!

-Lan

Robb and grizzlewulf like this.
  13. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    I'm excited for this guitar to come together, sounds cool

Lanaka likes this.
  14. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Lol, me too. I just changed my mind...again, slightly. (Nothing unusual this early in a project.) Still gonna go strat in middle and tele neck, but am also gonna use a tele bridge. All will be of stacked design from Seymour Duncan.

Vintage Stack Tele in the neck (79$, 15.8kΩ, A5, 4wire, 646 eq)
    Hot Stack Tele in the bridge (79$, 21.4kΩ, A5, 4wire, 577 eq)

And for the middle, I actually went directly to Seymour Duncan's Custom Shop and ordered a custom made strat pickup. It will be a merger between two existing pups from Seymour Duncan: basically it's the Twang Banger bottom with the Hot Stack Strat top and still tele voiced. There's a queue of older orders before me so they said to expect 6-8 weeks before delivery.

Since there's a delay for the middle, I'm gonna order 2 pickguards from Warmoth, one will be for the SSS setup after the middle comes in while the other is a normal tele pickguard except, like the other one, the tele neck pup will be pickguard mounted like a strat. I know there will be some purist who'll want my head for the sacrilege of Telecaster traditions.

To them I'll say: my guitar my rules. Xp Besides, I wanna be able to adjust the pup heights without having to take off nearly everything. :)

The control configuration will be a bit different from what I usually do on a Strat type. I'll use a 3 way switch to toggle between N, N+B and B. But will use a push/push pot to add in the middle pup at any time.

For now, I'll just have to wait till the parts start coming in.

-Lan

Robb and grizzlewulf like this.
  15. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Just ordered the other two pups, the Vintage Stack Tele beck and the Hot Stack Tele bridge from Guitar Electronics. Took some searching as one of them were out at Seymour Duncan's website and I really wanted to order both at same time. Free usps shipping, betcha that means at least 2 weeks, LOL.

Now off to Warmoth to order the 2 pickguards. At least since Warmoth makes their stuff to standard specs, I'll be able to use the 1 pup guard on another tele (like a Fender MIM, MIJ or MIK Telecaster) later after I get the middle pup.

-Lan

16. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Well, good thing I went to Guitar Fetish to price some stuffs there. The electronics is a fair bit cheaper AND I realized I don't need to get two pickguards from Warmoth! I'll just use the pickup ring adapters JsJr mentioned to temporarily mount the Vintage Stack Tele neck and Hot Stack Tele bridge in situ. When the middle arrives then shall I move the neck and bridge pups over to the Warmoth pg and stick the "Hot Twang Banger Stack Strat" custom pup into the middle and install the items from Guitar Fetish (New US-spec chrome control plate, 3-way US-switch with black Strat tip, 500k audio taper push/pull volume pot, 500k linear taper tone pot, matching metal dometop knobs, .47 Orange Drop caps, plus a few items for other projects). Oh and several bottles of cavity shielding paint (I been looking for this to do most, if not all my guitars, especially those with single coil pups).

From Warmoth I'll just get the SS Tele pickguard and a black Electro-Socket output jack cup and jack. I really don't like the crappy design of the original jack cup. It keep on pulling halfway out everytime I pull out the cord. It's either that or get a LP type square jack plate and bolt that on. Having loose bits drives me crazy.

Hooray, found a black Dunlop Strap-Lok kit in my new parts bin, which will be perfect! I dunno about others, but I prefer black strap buttons and output plates on a black guitar: no contrasting chrome bits on the black perimeter of the guitar to distract the eye from the guitar itself! Down the road I MAY eliminate the rest of the chrome by switching the tuners, bridge/saddles and the control plate and pot knobs to black versions. Then the only color will come from the maple fretboard/neck and the red middle layer of the black-red-black pickguard. (The pups themselves will all be black too.) Methinks I will end up with a mean lookin Telly!

With those hot pups in there (15.8k/18.0k/21.4kΩ, n/m/b) it should be worthy of the nickname Kaleolele "Kakaha" (The Flying Voice "The Force").

grizzlewulf and Robb like this.
  17. Jsjr

Jsjr Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Which amp are you using? That guitar is going to be incredible.

Lanaka and Robb like this.
  18. Robb

Robb Squier-holic

Jan 13, 2011
    Chertsey Canada.
    Great choice , congrats !!!

Lanaka likes this.
  19. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Ah ye touched on me weakness! While I may ha' upward of 50 guitars and ukuleles, I have but a few amps. Good amps, especially tube/valve amps are hard to come by here, but I have recently started looking for a better amp...maybe.

The reason for that "maybe" is that I do have a vintage 1960s Silvertone 1484 head, but I do not have a good cab yet. I do know it works cuz I took it to a friend's place and plugged it into his Marshall half stack. Sounds good and loud! Even it's physical spring reverb still worked, even tho it's a mite strange (in that it certainly doesn't sound like a Fender reverb, but it has a certain character that's actually interesting).

I may end up building my own box anyway, I've done it before back in the days of my autosound youth.

In meantime to answer yer question: I'm currently using mainly a pair of old 80s era silver Roland SS amps, that dates from before Roland went all-in on the digital thingy: a Cube-40 and Cube-60. It's all analog and actually sports a real mechanical plate reverb in both. They're a bit more portable and compact because they are 1x10 and 1x12, respectively. They take pedals quite well.

I also have in storage more amps, but cannot use them due to me currently living in a volume challenged place. In storage are a bunch of Fender amps, the KXR-60 1x12, Frontman 212R, FM212DSP, FM100H head, also I have a Roland Cube-20XL. Unfortunately they're all solid states, with the FM212DSP & Cube-20XL being digitals.

I'm gotta Marshall Super Lead head box that's made out of mahogany but no electronics inside. I plan on building a Mojotone Super Lead kit and put it into this box...whenever I get around to doing this project. (Too many projects and am focused on getting thru my guitar projects.)

Another option is to find/buy a Fender Hot Rod. Several friends suggested that to me but I now realized that there's multiple models of the Hot Rod so gotta learn about their differences and choose one.

Thank ye, Robb! I'm looking forward to getting this one done! I'm now just waiting for all the pieces to come in via mail. My SD Custom Shop middle pickup will take the longest to get here (6-8 weeks minimum). The rest should start trickling in by the end of the month.

In meantime, I gotta practice playing more to get that part of me up to speed, LOL!

Mahalo, and ...OI! I gotta get to sleeping! Just realized I stayed up all night shopping for the bits n pieces for the Telly that it's now 7am and I gotta leave for a doctor's appointment today at 1130am. Sigh, another day of short sleep rations. :(

Nitey night ye'all!
    -Lan

20. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Poll Time: Which pickguard ye think looks better on my black metallic Contemporary Telecaster HH?

The pickups will be black (except for the neck, which is traditional looking chrome covered Tele neck) and the humbucker ring is black. For now the control plate is chrome with the possibility of it being changed to a black version with black dometop knobs & Strat switch tip (sorry, I definitely prefer the Strat tip over the Tele tip).

Here's a pic of the Telly as is now.
    IMG_20210316_085801_HDR.jpg

1) Black-Red-Black
    Black-Red-Black.jpg
    2) Red Pearl-White
    Red Pearl.jpg
    3) Blue Shell-White
    Blue Shell.jpg

Please let me know which ye think looks best on Kakaha.

Thanks.
    -Lan

EDIT: The Black-Red-Black and Blue Shell-White will have black pg screws while the Red Pearl will have gold or brass screws.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    Robb likes this.