Contemporary Telecaster HH

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Lanaka, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Thanks LutherBurger, I will take a look at that too. Lots of interesting things on Guitar Fetish's website, besides the GFS line of pups.

Lately methinks I'll have to rethink the pup configuration choices. This is especially true after watching some demo/review vids on YouTube, especially after seeing 60 Cycle Hum's series on getting and modifying his Contemporary Telecaster HH. That's where I found out that the nut is synthetic bone and that it comes with HSH routing under the pickguard. That alone fairly screams to me: Memphis setup with a Strat middle pup.

I'll keep ye posted as things progress.

Hi Anthony79! By Hawai'i's standards it's "affordable," I seriously wish to see more mainland prices here but that's ain't gonna happen methinks. :(

Yeah, I'm gonna not fret over that chip much except maybe dab on some automotive spot fix paint pen on it. Hell, I may even just leave it there and just mask it with a touch of black Sharpie. Besides, I'm certain that it will collect more dings and scratches over time as I use my guitars. There's only a couple show beauty queens in my herd, the rest are all players.

Lol, the wierd situation is that the few Squier teles, including an Affinity Tele, that's currently listed here are going for similar prices or higher! The reason why this C.T. HH is going for a lower price is because the seller's moving to the mainland soon and need to offload the stuff she cannot take with her.

Yes, ffattboyzz, I might just do like it. I already know that I'm more a humbucker guy and already have quite a few SSS, HSS and HSH Strat types, so might well leave it as is...or more likely, add a strat middle pup, since the body's are routed for HSH.

Mahalo folks!
    -Lan

drewcp, fattboyzz and anthony79 like this.
  2. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    TBH, until recently I actually had that preconcieved prejudice against the "cheap" lines like Fender's Squier, Ibanez's Gio, ESP LTD, etc. Hell even brands like First Act and Daisy Rock. But have since learned that even these guys can have a few gems hidden under the chaff.

I recently acquired a 2000 Squier Stagemaster HSH Deluxe in pewter metallic and a 2007 Daisy Rock Heartbreaker Artist and actually found them to be very excellent, if but a bit oddball (in the case of the heart-shaped Daisy Rock), players. In fact the Stagemaster is one of my top 12 fave guitars in my herd of 50. The Heartbreaker is surprisingly a solid guitar that is actually feels quite ergonomic under the hands and arms. It too helps that it gas a rather unique HS pup config with a Duncan-Designed bridge humbucker that sounds suspiciously similar to a JB and a very interesting Duncan-Designed lipstick neck pup. Certainly no other guitar in my herd even remotely sounds like it! And that's the point of having so many guitars in my herd, each sounds unique and offers something different to the tonal pallette!

-Lan

Attached pics of the guitars...
    Squier StageMaster HSH DX CC ST CVBMF(3120²).jpg Daisy Rock Heartbreaker Artist CC S RVFVMF(3120²).jpg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  3. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I don't know what you mean by "Hawaii prices". I've always gotten a considerable discount below MAP from Easy Music on new Fenders and Squiers, lower than I would get from GC or MF, but I've bought a lot of guitars from them. And, if I wanted something they didn't have in stock, they'd even order one for me and if I didn't like it when it arrived, I didn't have to buy it. And, even if you don't want to buy from them, MF will ship any guitar here for $35 UPS two day air. If you're going to spend $300-400 on a used guitar and then put another $300-400 into it to mod it, you could buy a brand new MIM Player Tele for less.

drewcp, Lanaka and anthony79 like this.
  4. Jsjr

Jsjr Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2017
    Los Angeles
    In that price range, he's well inside the used mim classic series line. For that amount of money, I'd take my lacquer classic series tele over my contemporary Squier with the EMG 81/85 set and replacement John 5 rosewood neck. The stock pups in the classic series guitars are excellent and don't require replacement.

Lanaka likes this.
  5. CV50sFan90

CV50sFan90 Squier-Meister

Oct 10, 2020
    Minnesota
    For what it's worth, if you're looking for traditional Tele tone, you can't go wrong with a Squier Bullet Tele. $179, needs nothing. The contemporary is gonna set you back maybe twice that and the two HBs aren't going to be as traditional sounding.

Lanaka, Viking and Rick-T137 like this.
  6. jeepster61605

jeepster61605 Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2009
    Central IL
    That's just, like, your opinion, man...

Lanaka, Rick-T137 and waynes world like this.
  7. waynes world

waynes world Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2019
    Saskatoon
    Hope you have some extra cash after you buy it, because the very next day a traditional tele will come up for sale! Happens every time lol!

Lanaka likes this.
  8. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    He could also get a brand new CV Tele for $400. The trouble with being here in Hawaii is that if there's a used guitar at a good price on Ebay or Reverb, the shipping is gonna kill you, 'cause it's gonna be $100. That's why buying new from a seller on Ebay that offers free shipping or MF's $35 two day air is a better option.

drewcp, Lanaka and anthony79 like this.
  9. Jsjr

Jsjr Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2017
    Los Angeles
    I understand the shipping costs issue very well. We live and work in Los Angeles but own a home in Kapalua. If I were him, I'd keep looking at the used section on guitar center, that way he won't get killed on the shipping costs.

Lanaka likes this.
  10. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    True on the pricing side, but for me it's also a matter of getting a guitar that feels right to me, then mod it (if needed) to sound right to me. I've found it's generally cheaper in long run to look at the used mid tier guitars and run with those. Plus there's less grief received from others berating me about modding an expensive guitar, especially anything older than 2000 (altho my fave modded stuffs are the 80s and 90s mid tier guitars).

That said, I haven't tried stores much lately since early in I had a bad experience with pushy sales trying to get me to buy other more expensive gears I didn't want. OTOH, I live in Mānoa area so GC in Pearl City is a bit outta my way. Everytime I decide to go check it out something happens to require deferring the visit. Travelling via bus does takes time (altho a whole lot less stressful than actually driving there)!

I tried Easy Music in Ala Moana area but wasn't really impressed as the folks there largely ignored me.

Generally shop prices are higher than street but admittedly the big stores might have a warranty or return/exchange guarantee. But I generally examine the guitars and spot play test it with a headphone amp if it passes the feel test then I'll haggle over it else I'll pass on it. That being said, another reason why I prefer buying used is the excitement of the hunt: looking for those older gems at the right price, then the enjoyment of building/fixing it up to my tastes. Plus the travel to/from buying that guitar is mostly a fun thing too. I've travelled to Waianae, Haleiwa, Schofield, Kailua, Kahala, and Waiamanalo, areas that I normally don't go, so its always fascinating to see the lands. In short, like learning to play on the guitar, it's more about the journey than the destination.

I'd consider one if I could find one. But like I said before I'm not in a rush for any guitar.

I've only seen one Bullet, and it was the wrong color, plus that was when I realized I didn't like the ergonomics (no comfy cuts). I later tried my friend's 62 tele, loved it's sound but still hated the ergonomics, or lack thereof. Plus didn't really liked the round 9.5" fret radii. I'm used to the more flatter 12" or higher as found on Ibanez and Jacksons. That's why I decided to take a closer look at the Contemporary HH, it had at least the tummy cut, 12" radius, HSH cavity rout, and a solid poplar body. The HH is not the critical part altho based on the YouTube demo vide I've seen, it seems not bad and already the mod itch has already started scratching me to go nontraditional (sorta) way. Methinks I'll up it to HSH and stick a Twang Banger in the middle and look at putting in coil splitting Humbuckers from SD.

Everyone is entitled to one's own opinions, as long as they don't try to impose them on anyone else who don't agree. I happen to disagree on a minor point but respect his opinions. After all some do like it totally traditional whilst other may prefer a modern rendition.

I for one, like variety and being different. To me, what's the point of having a guitar that sounds like everyone else's? I like individuality, and like having different guitars that suits different moods.

LOL, know what ye mean, I've had similar situations happen to me. Once I've bought a 2013 Ibanez S420-BK with HH, it is a beautiful black guitar with HH Seymour Duncan pickups. Loved how it sounded BUT still had the itch to mod a S-Series Ibby. A few days later a 2012 Ibanez S570DXQM-TGB showed up for sale. It was missing its HSH pups but otherwise fully intact and came with an Ibby HSC. I bought it the very next day! It now sports a JB/Jazz but still trying to find the perfect middle pup.

I will keep that in mind, however I prefer to try out a guitar (wheter it be new or used) prior to purchase. Altho I DO agree shipping to Hawai'i costs plenty! I once bought a 2008 ESP LTD AX-50-BF from this musician in NYC area and shipping costed me almost 130$. But I'm not going to complain as the guitar was in near mint condition for a 13 year old axe! It came in a factory HSC fitted specifically for this guitar. Perfectly happy with it, especially after I threw in a set of Jupiters in it!

OTOH, I had a bad experience buying an acoustic parlor from an eBay seller in NH, who shipped it in a box sized to hold a small fridge. Shipping that costed me more than the guitar itself. Plus the guitar itself needed a lot of work before it was playable...barely. That's why I now prefer buying in person with hands on the guitar before forking over the cash.

That I will do from now on, now that a helpful sales rep at the Pearl City store explained how their process works. :)

---

Thanks all for replying and chiming in!

I've set an appointment to meet the seller on Sunday morning to see the guitar. I'll keep ye posted on how it goes!

-Lan

VealCutlet likes this.
  11. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Ok, just got home after a 3 hour bus ride (both ways). Got the guitar. It IS a Squier Contemporary Telecaster HH. The serial, CY171202124, indicates it's made in 2017 at the Yako, Zhangzhou, China factory, unit # 1,202,124. The really high unit number suggests that it's an accumulative total number of all instruments made at this factory.

Aside from it being a bit dusty, it's condition is as represented. No cracks nor warpage in the wood anywhere. The chip on the right horn looks worse in the pictures than in person. The frets are a bit tarnished (an expected thing in Hawai'i's corrosive climate, especially since the seller lived less than a quarter mile from the beach), but nothing a bit of polishing can't fix. So far no fret buzz but the action is a bit high, again nothing a bit of adjustments at the saddles can't fix.

The main thing is that it does feel pretty good in the hands and the contour cut makes it quite comfy to play on. I'll have to get used to the flat top tho, but its not too bad, its not as thick as my big les paul and certainly not as heavy as that beast!

Of course, it will need a new set of strings as it's showing signs of disuse and corrosion. So I will start work on it soon. I'll post pics of it later tonight, I'm pooped from the travelling.

Sigh, the bus rides are not the same as it was pre-COVID. Before I could relax and just enjoy the scenery as it passes or take a light snooze (bad idea to sleep sleep on the bus, as ye could run risk of waking minus a few things). Now, I have to keep watch more on who's sitting or standing near me. If it gets too crowded, I'd get off and catch a different bus with less peeps on it. And yes, there's a mandatory masks policy for riding the bus, but I STILL see too many people who don't wear them correctly!

Btw, last night I Iinally found a source for a custom pickguard, Warmoth. Surprisingly it's also one of the more affordable option. For 30$US, plus shipping (not sure how much it'd be yet as I haven't checked it out of the cart yet. I'm gonna wait until I have double checked the critical measurements, mainly the bridge pup ring width).

It will be a glossy black-red-black 0.09" thick vinyl pickguard with humbucker neck, strat middle holes and 8-bolt pattern.

I'm also gonna get a few more items from them too. Their chrome control plate with US-spec holes as I suspect the Chinese-Made Contemporary will be Import-spec. 2 push/push 500k pots (not sure whether its audio or linear taper, am awaiting an answer from them on that point). One will coil-split the humbuckers, and the other will activate the bridge pup when I'm in pos 3, 4 or 5. One will be master volume and the other master tone. And a Fender-spec 5-way switch, which will allow me to switch pups like a Strat.

I'll have to make up my mind on whether I wanna change the humbuckers (probably). But I'll give the stockers a few weeks before I decide anything. Tis a pity that there's no such thing as a chrome covered Strat pup to match the chrome covered stock HB. I think if I go SD HBs, they will be nickel covered too. The other option is to put a Tele neck pup in the middle, IF I go with Seymour Duncan pups, I'm gonna have to find a higher output neck pup to match the HBs, unless I go with a milder set.

I'm considering either the Hot Rodded set (JB/Jazz) for higher output or either the Whole Lotta Humbuckers or the Pearly Gates for lower output.

Methinks I better wait on ordering my stuffs from Warmoth and Seymour Duncan until I've decided which way I'm going to go.

anthony79, VealCutlet and grizzlewulf like this.
  12. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Glad you got it...hope it ends up being worth the bus ride. Like you've got a plan

Lanaka likes this.
  13. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Sorry about not posting pics, I actually fell asleep! I got back after Noonish. Had late breakfast, noodled on the Tele a bit then sat down to rest a bit, dozed off and now woke up. Wow, almost 8pm!

Yup, it's great! Way better than the First Act ME538 I had before it got stolen. Methinks it was a good thing I passed on that Bullet and the few Affinities I've previously looked at before. The quality of the woodwork is definitely better! That makes for a better modding platform to work on.

About the ONLY "issue" I have is the fact it's not a rosewood fretboard, but that's more a aesthetic preferences than anything else. I have three Strats that has maple boards and they're definitely in my favorites group, the 1980s era Stage CS-327, 2000 Fender Starcaster S1 & 2007 Fender Japanese Standard, but I like my eleven rosewood Strats, the 1986 Aria Pro II "The Cat," 1986 Charvel Model 4, 1986 Ibanez RG450-BK Roadstar II Deluxe, 1989 Ibanez RG565R-CA, 1992 Fender Mexican Standard, 2000 Squier Stagemaster HSH Deluxe, 2003 Washburn Pro X12 QVS, ~2005 Austin AU-731, 2011 Ibanez XH300-BKF, 2012 Ibanez S570DXQM-TGB and 2013 Ibanez S420-BK. Of these, the RG565R-CA, MN2, Stagemaster, AU-731 and the S420-BK are my top fave rosewood Strats.

All the other guitars in my herd are all rosewood, with the sole exception of my ebony 2012 Agile AL-3010SE Les Paul, which is my fave LP over the other four LPs. Altho the 2005 Epiphone Les Paul Pee Wee and the 2015 Jackson JS-22 Monarkh SC both have lots of play time due to them being smaller or more comfortable, respectively. That's because the Pee Wee is a 19.25" scale mini LP and the Monarkh LP has basswood body that also has the strat-like tummy and forearm cuts and features a maple neck. The basswood/maple combo makes for an unique sounding LP. Anyway I digress.

For now I'll see if I will bond with the Contemporary Telecaster HH over the next few weeks. I'm gonna sharpie the chip and leave it thusly. The rest of the guitar finish has no flaw aside from a tiny bit of bottom rash on the butt end. Looks like it has not been kept in a gig bag or case, a situation that has been rectified now.

Photos tomorrow, I promise, when I have better lighting.

Robb likes this.
  14. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    It's 1am here in Hawai'i, have been noodling on the Tele. While I do like the neck humbucker, the bridge is underwhelming. I think the bridge is kinda weak and thin. The previous owner had it fairly high and I've raised it even higher. Nope, still kinda thready. The neck has strong bass and good harmonics, but the bridge just wouldn't cut it. Looks like at minimum, the bridge gotta go. Gonna take some Ω readings and see what specs the pups are in the morning. Got a feeling that the bridge has a lower output. But will check how it'd sound thru an amp first...in the morning so nobody would murder me for waking them up, LOL!

Btw, as I don't think I'll be selling this one anytime soon, I went ahead and peeled off the clear covers on the scratch plate. It's now mine!

I also cleaned off the dust and smudges and sanitized it (actually did those first thing after getting home and eating). The guitar looks great! The rash on the bottom is not as bad as it had seemed. Most had wiped off during the cleaning, leaving only faint scratches that ye had to really look for them to notice. Nothing a bit of Mother's polish cant fix methinks.

I think the Squier Contemporary Telecaster HH can stand proudly next to my Squier Stagemaster HSH Deluxe.

Hmm, I need another stand...again.

-Lan

Robb, VealCutlet and Jsjr like this.
  15. Park

Park Squier Talker

Mar 31, 2019
    Seattle
    Looks like this video shows the guts of a Squier Tele HH

Lanaka and VealCutlet like this.
  16. Jsjr

Jsjr Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Congratulations on the new guitar. Put the SD humbuckers in there and go crazy. My contemporary is a beast with it's upgraded pickups.

Robb and Lanaka like this.
  17. 4406Pack

4406Pack Squier-Meister

Jan 12, 2021
    I want a tele but i think i like the 70’s deluxe configuration best

Lanaka likes this.
  18. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Aah sorry to point this out, but that video's for a 2000 Squier Contemporary Stratocaster, not a Telecaster. Altho it DOES seem to be fairly well put together.

The video I've found is from 60 Cycle Hum on his metallic red Contemporary Telecaster HH. There was a long hiatus after the first video (unboxing and first impression), explained in his next few videos as it has became his main gigging axe, and thus reluctant to open it up. He then took a look under the pickguard, then explored a few ideas on mods on the guitar. The last few covered the actual modifications and the installation of a Duncan Designed humbucker and moving the stock bridge to the middle thus creating a Contemporary Telecaster HHH. He then did a play demo of the C.T.HHH.

This vid series and quite a few other demo vids was what made the decision to go forward with the purchase. I've no regrets about this and now am planning a series of upgrades myself.

Altho I don't think I'll go as far as to cut up the body for a HHH. What I will do is do a HSH configuration, thus creating a Contemporary Telecaster HSH. Might keep the stock ceramic chrome neck pup, add the A2 white Twang Banger (and swap in a black cover) in the middle and I'm still deciding on a replacement chrome bridge. Has to be hotter than the Twang Banger's 8.3kΩ, that's for sure. Possibly a 99$ 16.6kΩ JB. Or a 129$ 8.1kΩ Pearly Gate bridge. Or a 129$ 8.8kΩ Whole Lotta Humbucker bridge. Decisions decisions decisions. Hmm all three are available chromed, well actually, nickel plated. Hmm. Well the Pearly Gates is lower than the Twang Banger's output so that's out. Gotta measure the neck pup later.

Welps back to sleep, it's 4am here, LOL!

-Lan

Robb and VealCutlet like this.
  19. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Oh, man, you're bringing back memories. In the '90s I lived in Aiea and worked at Schofield Barracks, and I used to ride my motorcycle to all of those places and more. Hawaii has got to be among the best places on Earth to ride, if you don't mind the daytime Honolulu traffic or occasionally getting wet.

Robb and Lanaka like this.
  20. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Sorry dude, as I'm new to the world of the Teles, I'm not familiar to the various models if the Telecaster (and definitely not the 70's Deluxe) so I cannot help ye. However I'm sure the kind folks here in Squier-Talk can chime in to help. Good luck in your guitar search tho!

Thanks man, I'm loving it! Yup, I'm a SD guy. Most, actually all except three, of my guitars either already have SD or will have SD pups in them. Still deciding on the bridge pup for the Contemporary tho... probably between either the JB or the Whole Lotta Humbucker. Or maybe the '78 HB...hmmm.