Contemporary Telecaster HH

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Lanaka, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    I'm looking at possibly buying an used Contemporary Telecaster HH in black metallic to fill a hole in my collection. It's the most affordable option here in Hawai'i at the moment. The only issue is that it's a HH. How hard would it be to convert it to a more normal tele SS configuration (or HS is an option)?

I'm assuming that putting in a normal tele neck pup should be an easy pickguard swap. Anyone know what kind of routing is under the pickguard?

The guitar has not been purchased yet, I'm researching on it at the moment to determine whether it's worth buying it at the asking 300$/OBO price. It appears to be in near new condition with just a small paint chip on the tip of the right horn.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!
    -Lan

Seller's Pics of advertised guitar... 00i0i_b4tXSvKxIBIz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg 00q0q_3pULjRukgruz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg 01212_8uaTJnJRfFGz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg 00f0f_ftKSvp1WecEz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg 00q0q_9SY2UiMuoTNz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
    00i0i_b4tXSvKxIBIz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

65refinyellow, Eddd, Shine and 2 others like this.
  2. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Hmm forgot that I'm limited to just 5 pics. Here's the pic of the chip...

00505_lgymRcaIZnXz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

Robb likes this.
  3. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    In case anyone asks, my plan is to just get the tele sound, as I have no teles in my herd (I have many Strats in various configurations, quite a few Les Pauls, a couple star types, several Vs, a bunch of offsets, a semi-hollowbody, a couple basses including a 6-string, and an electric ukulele).

Would the current installed humbuckers do? Or should I change them? I do like the looks of the matching headstock and the fact it has at least the belly cut.

-Lan

Shine and Robb like this.
  4. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Getting a humbucker Tele because you're after a classic Tele sound is a little bit like buying a hot rodded car and restoring it back to stock, in my opinion. Be a lot easier to just get the classic version. But I understand inventory is limited where you are.

That said, you could probably put in a single in the bridge and keep the HB in the neck, Keith Richards-esque setup.

Someone smarter than me would have to tell you how hard that is with that model, what kind of routing is under there etc. There may be casings that help retrofit a Tele bridge pickup into HB routing

5. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I have the Red one that I got at Easy Music on an impulse buy, cause it played and sounded so good. I also had the intention of replacing the pickups, but the stock ones are very bright and clear, and it sounds very Fendery. So, you might be surprised. The belly cut is awesome. It's the only Tele that doesn't cut into my chest when playing sitting. The bridge can also be a top loader, so I tried it one string change, but it made very little difference, so I went back to string thru. DSCN0982.JPG

6. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-holic ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Dec 28, 2017
    not here
    65refinyellow, MLHull, Lanaka and 2 others like this.
  7. mbroadus

mbroadus Squier-Meister

Dec 31, 2012
    jax
    Looks like a pretty good deal, but it's not a telecaster. It's got the shape of a telecaster, that's where it ends.
    Buy a telecaster copy from monoprice for $100, you can upgrade it if you like, but it sounds pretty damn good all stock.
    Edit.... Just checked they are out of stock. Here's a Donner from Amazon for $129 shipped. Don on the forum here says nice things about the Donner line.[​IMG] [​IMG]

Lanaka likes this.
  8. Robb

Robb Squier-holic

Jan 13, 2011
    Chertsey Canada.
    That Squier with the matching headstock is way cool, you go with that real telecaster instead of having a low quality copy that you'll be stuck with if you get a lemon !

nicod98, jjudas, Mr_10awg and 2 others like this.
  9. Jsjr

Jsjr Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2017
    Los Angeles
  10. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

This or a single coil in a HB form factor seems like the way to go. I don't think there's any way to get an ashtray on this guitar. That said, I agree with those that are saying you're making three right turns to get where you're going (traditional tele) instead of one left.

Shine, Lanaka and Jsjr like this.
  11. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Thanks, Grizzlewulf, I understand where ye coming from. "Real Fender Teles" in my neck of the woods rarely shows up, but when they do, they're typically ridiculously overpriced, even by Hawai'i standards. Mex Teles rarely go for less than 600-800$ and often is usually more, and American Teles have never been seen by this writer for less than 1750, vintages typically for over 2400$, even for a fixer-upper. Japanese teles has never been seen here for less than 1800$. Even Squiers with correct pup configs typically go for 400-800$. Personally do not understand why teles are so much more expensive than strats, but whatever.

The reason why Im considering HS instead of SH pup config is because of the existing pup and bridge setup. The bridge pup is mounted via pup ring direct to body and I suspect the hardtail's stringthru holes wont match a standard pup mount/hardtail stringthru holes. I wanted to do minimal mods to the body, so planned a pup swap at the neck via a pickguard swap (and store the original parts for reinstalling before selling, IF I sell it). However, I'll consider a SH setup if its feasible. Will look into it after I buy the guitar and measure things on it.

Hey DougMan, thanks I will try out the stock pups first then. And if its 4-wire (which I doubt), I'll add coil splitting. Initially didn't realized it had a belly cut, the seller's photos, as ye can see ain't the best pics. But after considerable searching on SquierWiki that's when I found out, which in turn upped the interest to me because my fave guitar style are the Strat styles. They're so comfy!

I tried a friend's old tele and found them to be rather uncomfy, even my Les Pauls were more comfy to me than a standard form tele. Mind ye, it sounded great, but then, what ye expect from a real relic'd '62 American? Of course, my buddy ain't selling it, even if someone were to wave 5000$ under his nose. XD

Thank ye, Mbroadus, altho I will conceed that our opinions differ slightly. Since Squier is owned by Fender, I consider their Teles to be teles, even if they're not conforming to all standard specifications. That said, at least Squier is willing to put out models that has added features like belly cut (altho tis a pity that this particular model don't have forearm contour cuts).

I've considered Monoprice and Donner. Between the two, I'd go for Mono, but as ye have noticed, they're currently sold out...again. I'll keep an eye on Monoprice tho.

Thanks, Robb. Yup, noticed that matching headstock is a pretty rare feature on Fender Teles. Looks good to me. That's another feature of interest to me. I try to buy guitars that both looks and feels good to me. I usually can work on the sound good part as long it's nothing major.

I've bought "lemons" before (particularly those with crappy electronics and woodwork/hardwares that needed tlc) and fixed them up to be pretty decent players, even if it's not pretty looking guitars. ;) The only thing I'd avoid are those with major flaws like twisted necks or termite riddled bodies (except as a parts source). Gods, the terrible shapes I've seen some of these poor guitars were in! Tsk tsk. :]

Shine and Robb like this.
  12. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    If what you really want is an SS Tele, either order one or wait for one to become available. Don't buy that HH.

Conghaille, Lanaka and bicaster like this.
  13. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Thanks, JsJr, found out about GuitarFetish recently. Didn't know about that part, but will look into it.

(Time passes as I look at the link.)

Hmm, looks like that'd would work for me if I choose to go the SH pup config route. Mebbe I can find a strat single coil pickguard that would work, cuz I'm thinking of putting the Seymour Duncan Twang Banger in the neck. Thanks for the link, I'll order one to try out!

That's another option I had considered, like Seymour Duncan's Phat Cats, a P90 in HB form. Which is a very real possibility. Still undecided on whether go with dual Phat Cats or put in a tele single in the bridge via the GuitarFetish pup ring adapter suggested by JsJr. We'll see after I've spend a few weeks with the existing pups and make a decision on how much I like or dislike them.

-Lan

14. Jsjr

Jsjr Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Lanaka likes this.
  15. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Aloha LutherBurger. Normally I'd agree, but after 2-3 years of waiting for the right one (which hasn't shown up). And seeing so many overpriced Fender and Squier ones in the interim. None of which really either fits my wallet or my desire. I'd rather buy one that looks and feel right and mod the rest to fit my needs. Then I'd have a guitar that works for me and costs less than those custom shop pieces.

The most I've ever spent buying a guitar is 450$ (usually between 250-350$, sometimes less than 150$), and I typically throw in another 400-500$ in mods. Only twice I've bought a guitar online, and luckily the first one turned out to be a nice keeper, the second was not so nice and I may end up selling it. It's best to buy from a practicing guitarist, as they usually know how to maintain the guitar and ship them in a safe and efficient manner. Anyway I digress.

In this case, I wanted a black tele with matching headstock (would've been better if its also reversed) and preferably with both comfort (belly and forearm) cuts. Pickguard and pup swaps are easy. But in case I decide I wanted to sell it later, I'm going to avoid any cutting into the wood for now. However, IF I decide it's a keeper then I may change mind on this point and consider recutting the body cavities if needed. Altho redoing the string-thru holes if needed is a bit out of my capabilities as I don't have a drill press to ensure straight holes.

-Lan

drewcp and LutherBurger like this.
  16. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Ah cool JsJr! Thanks for the link, that might just do the trick as I'm also looking at Seymour Duncan's tele neck pup choices ATM. I'm mostly a SD pup guy also I've been known to try a few pups from other brands.

Mahalo!
    -Lan

Jsjr likes this.
  17. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Fair enough. In your situation, I'd be tempted to try a set of humbucker-sized GFS Retrotron pickups in it.

VealCutlet, Lanaka and grizzlewulf like this.
  18. anthony79

anthony79 Squier Talker

Nov 13, 2020
    Athens, Greece
    Hi!

It seems like a nice guitar, although the price is a bit high - but just a bit, perhaps you could shave a few and get a good deal on it. But even if you don't, it's still a good buy if you ask me.. And that crack seems fixable I think..

Also, you're not sooo far off the classic tele sound on this one, Teles are not just about their classic bridge pickup..

Otherwise, you could get a brand new Affinity I guess... I got one, a 2020 model, and, apart from those pickups, it's almost identical..! I am very happy with my Affinity! (I also got a CV 50, so I can compare).

Hope this helps!

Lanaka likes this.
  19. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I'd get it and play it like it is . You might love it ;)

20. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Ok an update, I've watched some demo vids on YouTube and found out that the stock pups are 4-wire so they could be coil splitted, PLUS the body is routed for HSH, so I think I'll look for a memphis pickguard and add a strat middle pup and swap in a set of SD humbuckers into it. It looks like I may be well advised to swap out the control plate as it's metric-spec (as expected of something made in China, I guess) before putting in US-spec 5-way with coil-splitting tone pot.

I already decided to put in the Twang Banger in the middle, but have as yet decided what SD HB set to put in. The Hot Rodded (JB/Jazz) set should have the output to balance Twang Banger which was intended for bridge placement on a Strat. OTOH, the Whole Lotta Humbucker set is voiced for 70s Brit Rock and, while it is lower output, should be balanced by a closer placement to the strings with the Twang placed lower into the body. Welps, I'll have plenty time to decide which SD pups to use later.

So tomorrow I will be off to buy that guitar.

Thanks for the input guys!
    -Lan

irvinlamar, VealCutlet and drewcp like this.