Comparison of the Indonesian CV 50s Tele vs. the previous Chinese made one

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by DougMen, Mar 31, 2021.

1. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    This guy bought a new MII CV 50s Tele to compare to his 2014 Chinese made one. Here's what he thinks. I'm disappointed, 'cause I thought he was going to let us hear the two of them compared to each other, but he didn't do that. He only says that he likes the Tonerider designed pickups more, but doesn't let us hear them compared to the new pickups. That was a real letdown.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    fendereedo likes this.
  2. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Ok, here in this video he does compare them, and also a HB Tele. I actually like the new Fender designed pickups more than the Tonerider designed ones, because they're clearer and brighter, which is the same thing I found between the old and new CV Strat pickups. Especially with some gain, the new ones are livelier and have more character, and the older ones sound more bland to me.

Rat cam 68, fendereedo and Viking like this.
  3. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Here's two more, comparing the CV Strat to the $700 Player, and to the $1000 Vintera, and it sounds just as good or better than both of them too. As I've said a lot of times before, Fender really hit it out of the park with these new CV Strat (and Tele) pickups.

I meant to post this in the Squier Strat forum, so I copied it there too, but I'll leave it here as well.

fendereedo and mbroadus like this.
  4. fendereedo

fendereedo Squier-Meister

Aug 12, 2015
    UK
    The CV pickups now are really good. I was seriously unimpressed with the vintera ones in my 60s modified, and replaced them with a set of pure vintage 64s

drewcp likes this.
  5. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2016
    Chicago adjacent
    My Chinese 50s CV Tele is one of my favorite guitars, but i must admit I installed Fender Nocaster pickups a few years back.

But in terms of feel, playability, fretwork, and looks, it’s great. I didn’t hate the old pickups, but the replacements were a marked improvement.

drewcp likes this.
  6. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Those come with what they describe as hot 60s pickups, so they're probably like Texas Specials, not as bright and twangy as the awesome PV64s, which is one of the best Tele pickup sets Fender currently makes.

fendereedo likes this.