Coming over to the Dark Side

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MikeLimaBravo, Jun 3, 2020.

1. MikeLimaBravo

MikeLimaBravo Squier Talker

May 31, 2020
    Philippines
    ... or the bright side, if you were already on that side of the fence.

Been playing the guitar for probably over a decade, and just became a Strat owner 3 years ago. (I like to count it as 2 since I didn't get to use it for a whole lot back in 2018). And I have to say, it's been a blast having it.
    In 2010, I had an Epi LP std in with a 490R and 498T in it, but sold that to get a Greg Bennett AV-3 that I really liked more than the Epi.

I came across this SE in 2017, where the seller was selling it for $50. He had the pots removed and didn't know how to to solder them back on, knobs and back plate were missing, and (I missed this at the time) the nut was stripped.
    [​IMG]
    So I went out and bought cheap pots as a temporary fix since this was really a beater guitar since I couldn't bring the Greg Bennett with me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Of course I wasn't satisfied with it, so excuses had to be made to get $50 worth of parts, pots, bone nut, string trees, $25 OEM alnico pickups, a new scratchplate, vintage style tuners with the conversion bushing, and a new nut.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But the modding bug doesn't stop there. I'm planning on getting a mint or cream hss scratchplate and try my luck again with an OEM alnico humbucker and go for the american professional strat look. Been holding off repainting it to antique olive, but might just do that with a different guitar instead.

Cheers!

MI redneck, brians, rbh32 and 15 others like this.
  2. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Welcome to the forum! An SE was my first Squier as well. It was the beginning of a whole new journey of guitar modding! Your Samick looks great too. I love those guitars!

3. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Welcome to Squier Talk ! ! Good Clean Fun ! ! ! Nice Groove ! !

4. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Welcome You have a nice vibe going. Smooth tone from the Strat. :)

5. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-holic

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Welcome to the family. Enjoy your stay.

6. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    Welcome to the boards, man. Nice job with that SE.

Digging that AV-3! I love the headstock of the Greg Bennet guitars, I want to get one, maybe a Royale RL-2.

7. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Hi and welcome to Squier-Talk. Have fun.

8. MikeLimaBravo

May 31, 2020
    Philippines
    Thanks, guys!

Yes, the Samick is fun and underrated for half the price of an epi. Long tenon neck on the AV3 upwards, Grover tuners, solid hardware. I really don't mind the photoflame, but I will be repainting it soon. It came with Artec pickups stock, but I put in SD Alnico 2 pro's, CTS pots, and .022 caps in it.
    The Royale is a great choice!

9. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    The Strat journey has begun for you and you are off on the right foot...Make room, there are more in your future....Welcome to the forum.

10. Paruwi

Paruwi Squier-Nut

Apr 28, 2019
    Kraut-Territory
    Welcome here @ SquierTalk

11. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-holic

Feb 14, 2019
    Welcome to S-T @MikeLimaBravo . You made a good choice for your 1st Strat. SE’s are a ton of fun.

12. GEECEE

GEECEE Squier-Nut

Jan 11, 2017
    MI
    Looks and sounds good!

13. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Welcoem to Squier-Talk. Thanks for sharing photos and the video.

14. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Dark Side, eh? Well you've done some very cool things to brighten up that guitar's day. Nice! And welcome to the Tappet Brothers of all things fretted - Squier Talk.

15. strat81

strat81 Squier-Meister

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    My soldering and wire management skills are terrible and your picture above makes me feel incredibly inadequate.

16. gmt124

gmt124 Squier-Meister

Aug 11, 2019
    Wales, UK
    Hi Mike and welcome aboard the ST. Great looking guitars and a nice job on the SE.

17. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2020
    Greybull, WY
    Welcome to S-T. My only Strat is a CV-50 white blonde liking it more and more all the time. The members here will having you wanting to purchase more Squier's. Enjoy.

MI redneck and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  18. MikeLimaBravo

May 31, 2020
    Philippines
    Thanks for the welcome guys!
    Really loving this through a 5F2A-ish copy I built.

Seeing this and readymade harnesses online make me feel inadequate
    I will be redoing it once I get a vintage style 5-way.

I'm definitely jonesing for a tele at the moment but looking at these JCraft guitars. 2020 models have a poplar body, bone nut, and string through (rather than top loaded like the usual budget stuff outta these parts). They're like $80 new for the tele and strat models, so lots of room for mods. Can't find any Squier tele's for that price used since people here think epi's and squier's retain their value extremely well

MI redneck and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  19. MI redneck

MI redneck Squier-Meister

May 7, 2020
    MI
    Welcome aboard MLB!

MikeLimaBravo likes this.