Cold coming, got my firewood permit and a load of wood

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Powerstroke, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-Axpert

Sep 27, 2014
    I swear this looks more like some kind of large bed & breakfast or a rural inn or hotel than a private residence, that's a lot of wood and deck space Don!!

2. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    It was something like that at one time -- a summer theater "camp."

The "main bungalow" as they called it back then was the social center and dining facility for all the actors and actresses, etc., who resided in separate 'cabins' scattered about the property.

Several of those still exist, now converted for 4-season living. As does the amphitheater and some other structures.

'Tis a fun place! Historically, and, well, for us. Jan and my dream once retirement place . In this case a dream come true. :)

The property was written about at some length here:

House and Home article - Oct 15 2019 (1).jpg

We not rarely have people suggest we reopen the cottages for B&B use, and with the craziness and insecurity of today's world I suppose that's an option to possibly someday consider. But it sounds too much to me like work! :D

-don

3. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    You have another dwelling on the property, right Don? We know a family who used to run a B&B in Ithaca who lived in a small place adjacent to their B&B. Now, they just rent the smaller place and live in the big house. They seem to get a nice clientele for the one room + bathroom + private porch. So much so that they no longer advertise. Repeat business only. If it appeals to you perhaps you would consider renting out smaller places on your land. These folks seem to love it. So much less work and they seem to enjoy the visitors without each other getting into one another's business too much. We like it and go there whenever we need to spend a night or two. This season is busiest I think, with the leaf peepers out and about.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  4. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    The forest service cuts it down and makes piles sometimes. Other times it's just fallen dead trees. It's technically a "dead and down " permit for firewood harvesting as they call it. You can't cut anything standing unless it's juniper or something else.
    Where I live at 5200 feet elevation we are just below the deal where pine and pinion grow. Prescott is up higher than us in prescott valley. They are covered in pine trees. Way back it was once the states capital of Arizona. Lot of weird folks in that town. I just stay away as much as possible.

Kenneth Mountain and duceditor like this.
  5. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    It is something we'll possibly look into. But so far the better option has seemed to be simply leasing out the cottages long-term.

Here's one such as we presently have it set up and furnished.

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 3.36.44 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 3.37.48 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 3.36.13 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 3.38.36 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 3.40.24 PM.png

A second one is now being prepared for similar use.

There is such a shortage of apartments in my area that we could rent these out in a heartbeat. But the "who" is critical. We want people who are self-reliant and responsible as we have seen first hand what can happen when a renter isn't. Nor, frankly, so we wish to 'baby sit' anyone.

So far we've done okay just by word of mouth and with our friends acting as filters as to whom they recommend.

:)

-don

6. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Beautiful. What state are you in?

7. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I live in the Monadnock region of New Hampshire. In the historic “art town” of Peterborough.

-don

2924EE07-D07E-4911-83ED-77A4B2643ADF.png

8. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    T
    Reminds me of the fall in Washington state w the Maples every where.
    Northern arizona is pretty boring in comparison.

9. Dumpster Chicken

Dumpster Chicken Squier-Meister

Apr 1, 2018
    Arizona
    I live close to snowflake az. I've got one cord cut and split, and just got both of my chainsaws worked on today. I'm ready to get back out there. They say we're in for a cold, dry winter.

10. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    My friend lives off fish drive or lane in snowflake. He's a old grumpy ham radio retired cop. Wouldnt be surprised if you knew him.
    It's about 3 hrs from here.
    Where do you go cutting up there?

11. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Another cold freezing night, maybe back into the 70s for a daytime high

12. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-Axpert

Sep 27, 2014
    It's nearly a record high here today - 81F - I'm right across the river from Detroit Michigan, in Canada.....

13. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    In Southern RI, the leaves haven't turned yet, due to a rainy Summer. This is a pic from my deck looking south at the town beach. A bit overcast, but that's Block Island on the horizon. Most trees are located in conservation areas. DSCN5077-001.JPG

14. Slacker G

Slacker G Squier-Meister

Sep 6, 2021
    Iowa
    Great looking place to live.

I installed a 5' fireplace in the rear living room wall to surprise my now ex. I tried going out in the sub freezing weather cutting, gathering and splitting wood every time we ran out of it for a year and that was enough for me.

City folk, ya know.

It wasn't long before I pulled that sucker out. Since it left a 8' X 5&1/2' hole in the wall I turned it into a 4 10" bass bin for the stereo system.

A 55" TV sits above it and two satellite speakers built into the wall on either side house two 5" mids one 4" horn and one dome radiator each.

You have more gumption than I do for sure, but I like the home studio theater system far better than I liked chopping & splitting wood & dumping ashes.

My love of fireplaces certainly was short lived. I decided that paying the power company wasn't so bad after all.

15. jbrowning

jbrowning Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2019
    colorado springs
    Dropped down to 32 last night here in Colorado Springs, tonight and tomorrow night it's suppose to dip into the 20's.

Jim

16. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    That’s the wonderful thing about “choice” and “freedom.” There is no “one size fits all.” And sometimes it takes experience to even sort out our own preferences.

My wife’s absolute favorite thing is sorting and stacking firewood. -All those many racks full one sees in the photos of our home. She absolutely revels in it.

I have no love of that, to me it’s a chore. But lighting the woodstove, clearing the ashes and such… That I really enjoy first thing each and every cold morning.

Funny how all that is! To Life!!! :)

-don

-don

TeleJason and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  17. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier Platinum Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
  18. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    There was some deer near by

19. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier Platinum Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    That part of that photo struck me as soon as I looked at it.

20. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    I enjoy my chainsaws much like guitars. I had a pretty good collection. But I build and fix saws. And love cutting.
    So all I have left is a stihl 038 mag (72cc) new piston and rings. 24" bar
    2018 husky 372xp 71cc with like a giant 28 inch bar.
    Dolmar 111 52cc saw I think
    Dolmar makita 6420 64cc former homedepot rental saw 20" bar.
    And a stihl ms210 ground saw. I think that's it lol