Cold coming, got my firewood permit and a load of wood

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Powerstroke, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Firewood day. Took the family out and cut wood while they looked around.
    Tonight we will hit below 30 20211012_160417.jpg 20211012_160414.jpg 20211012_160408.jpg 20211012_190513.jpg 20211012_163521.jpg

2. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Cuttin wood on public land ?

Give tha kid a marshmallow ;)

3. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Yep. Prescott National forest. $20 gets you 5 chords or wood. I cut wood every year. I used to have more saws than guitars lol

4. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    That's funny momma gave them some pumpkin flavor marshmallows.

5. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    I'm ready to start using my fire pit but we're still getting plenty of 70 degree days here.

6. speelyei

speelyei Squier-Nut

Sep 22, 2020
    North America
    My wife said it snowed in Flagstaff. Still in the 80’s in Phoenix, but it feels great.

TeleJason, miket1117, Robb and 4 others like this.
  7. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    I was coming back from Phoenix last night and it snowed near Poland road as we headed back into prescott valley during the storm

miket1117, Robb, grizzlewulf and 4 others like this.
  8. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    We have had some nice mornings here just south of Atlanta ,but not down to 30 yet .

9. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    All my spaghetti squash are going to die tonight. And pumpkins. I may try to cover them. They arent quite ripe.
    We have a 30 degrees difference in our Highs and lows here. Elevation is 5200

10. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    My nephew lives in Tucson and my sister has bought a place near Pietown NM . They are moving down from the Royal Gorge area in Colorado.

11. speelyei

speelyei Squier-Nut

Sep 22, 2020
    North America
    All our container stock stuff died this summer, almost. I did grow a few Loquat trees from seeds that germinated, I’m glad those lived.
    When we lived up north of Kingman the daily temperature fluctuations were crazy sometimes.

12. speelyei

speelyei Squier-Nut

Sep 22, 2020
    North America
  13. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Prescott valley has pretty wild weather. Nows the time to be in Phoenix for sure. Grandma & great Grandma live in sun city. Right now the oldest boy is down there with here.
    Tuscon is pretty big actually. I guess they actually got snow last year. I think when it was damn near a hurricane that came in from Baja California

14. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Unloaded some of it. Too lazy to finish 20211012_200253.jpg 20211012_200311.jpg

15. OOMTOM

OOMTOM Squier-Meister

Jun 19, 2021
    Johannesburg South Africa
    I have to pinch myself and remember that some of you guys are using Fahrenheit. In South Africa we use Celsius and going below 30 is not a problem. We are of course in Summer Time. ( must be a good song in there somewhere ).
    I love the Pics of woodlands and a day out collecting winters needs.
    Do what ever you need to keep the Family Warm and remember Whisky is also warming :):)

16. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Sister said it was 24 there this morning.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  17. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Had my first fire of the year a couple of weeks ago when I brought my 92 year old dad over for dinner. It's never warm enough for that dude. My fireplace is primarily decorative but it warms up the family room for TV viewing. This time of year is best, actually. When it gets too cold and the gas heat kicks on, the fireplace heat just serves to mess up the thermostat reading and the rest of the house gets freezing cold.

Nice to have a fire though. Believe it or not, I'm still burning wood from Oaks that fell in our woods back amid "superstorm" Sandy. Edited to show pics of Katie by the root ball of a fallen Oak and a picture of Katie now. She's the youngest one on the right. Still have firewood from the three trees that fell.

Katie Sandy fallen Oak.jpg Katie Sandy Oak root ball.jpg Sisters in Jupiter.jpg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  18. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    We have quite a few acres of mixed forest. We last had it "harvested" about 8 years ago and still have a bit of wood left over from that operation.

By "harvesting" I do not be clear cutting or anything close. No, quite the opposite. We have a team come in and cut down wood whose removal will make the forest healthier.

Much of such is sold, but anything that is not sale worthy -- knotted, crooked, poor condition -- this we had put into stacks to be converted to firewood.

Last year we had the electrical system, including how the cables are run to the house, updated. The trees felled for that still await cutting and splitting. Something not as easy for me as it once was -- thus its not yet being done.

But we should have enough at least for this winter.

Hope so, anyhow!

-don

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 12.10.53 PM.png

TeleJason, vlxerdon, Ladeeh and 5 others like this.
  19. speelyei

speelyei Squier-Nut

Sep 22, 2020
    North America
    You’ve got quite the place there, Don. I always enjoy the pics.

20. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-Axpert

Sep 27, 2014
    Doesn't it have to season for a year or two before you can use it? Or are these already 'dead' non-live trees....

Kenneth Mountain likes this.