Clearest GM singles

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by Eddie, Jun 29, 2020 at 9:15 PM.

1. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Which one of GM's single coil pups is the most clear? Even if it's ice picky, that's ok. I don't want warmth. I have plenty of HB's.

I want my next NC build to be an SSS with the clearest/cleanest pups GM has to offer.

Thanks. :)

2. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    For alnicos, I would think it would be the 62z, because they're the lowest wind/output, and they're alnico 5, which is brighter than alnico 2. Their premium alnicos, both the alnico 2s and 5s, are higher output, about like Texas Specials. For their ceramics, I don't know. I've never tried them. After all, the price difference is only $10, $15 for ceramics, and $25 for the 62z.

3. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    I really liked the .25 calibers I had. I want to try the premium alnicos next.

4. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
  5. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The 62z are spec'd at 6k, 6k, and 6.4k, the premiums and ceramics are 6.3k, 6.6k, and 7.2k. Joe's description of the premiums say that they're very clear and articulate. I'm sure all 3 are probably pretty similar. Judging by my guitars with similar pickups, the 6sz will be the lowest output, the ceramics the highest, but the Texas Specials, and the ceramics on my Fernandes that are like his are still bright, but they're both ballsier, so may sound a little less clear because they have more guts and drive, and more mids.

6. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    IMO the 25 calibers aren't what you're looking for. They're gonna be even beefier, like SD quarter pounders.

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  7. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Just buy all three, the 62z, premiums, and ceramics. It's only $80 for all 3, lol.

dbrian66, Viking and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  8. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    The 62z were pretty clear and clean in my strat.

Caddy, dbrian66, Eddie and 1 other person like this.
  9. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

@Eddie try the 62z's - I have a set of 25 's you can try them !

radiotech, dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  10. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I have a set of the hybrid 25 pickups and absolutely love them. They are a combo of Alnico 2 and Alnico 5 magnets. Brightens up the low end and smooths out the high end. Very nice pickups. But like @Ace38 said, don’t get them confused with the .25 calibers. Totally different type of pickup.

radiotech likes this.
  11. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    Just get any old cheapo ceramic stock pickup, Put 500k pots and a .015 cap....

anything with Alnico 8 should be pretty icy.

dbrian66 likes this.
  12. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    I bought a new, in the box Starcaster and here is what it sounded like unaltered.

dbrian66 likes this.