Classic Vibes are again made in China

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by sgwallace, Mar 8, 2020.

1. JVjunky

JVjunky Squier-Meister

Apr 30, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Does the different prefixes relate to different factories in China? I have three CV guitars all with CGS prefixes, but I've seen that newer ones have CGRB and CGRJ.

2. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-Nut

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    All of the 50’s CV tele’s that I’ve had (3 of them) had CGS serial numbers and Tonerider pups. There were quite a number of new ones still in the GC system long after the new Indonesia/China lines were introduced last year. All I know about those is that I don’t want one and won’t have one.

3. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    I may be wrong but I seem to remember that the old CV line was made in China mostly by Grand Reward. If the new line is still made there, it could explain the "CGR" letters.

4. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    We know that CGR means China Grand Reward, but we haven't determined what the additional letters mean.

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  5. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

What are the advantages of the Tonerider, or DD for that matter, over the pickups currently being installed?

6. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I've had them all, and I think the new Fender Alnicos sound better than any of the others

Taurus and optofonik like this.
  7. Blues256

Blues256 Squier-Meister

Apr 3, 2020
    Poland
    Here in middle Europe they are all Indonesian. I compared Indonesia vs China and liked Indonesia much more

8. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    it appears as if hte new Chinese ones have a warmer appearance on the neck than the Indo ones. More brownish.
    Also, the headstock logo looks a bit different than others:
    empsh6pppyuxux6n5sov.jpg

9. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Nut

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Late to the subject, but pay attention whether the specs mentioned in the retailer's website is accurate. Last year I was in the market for a new guitar and one of my top pics was an LTD EC-1000. The model I wanted (vintage black with EMGs) was really hard to find locally second-hand, the models available were either going for less than 100 bucks off the price of a new one, or beaten to heck.

One of the key specs of that model was sporting an ebony fretboard, which was an absolute gem of a deal in a guitar selling for less than 800 bucks new. I've read online the production had changed from Korea to Indonesia and some specs had changed, but I believed the vintage black version was still the same, given both the official brand's website and all retailers still listed the old specs (and production origin) as well as pics of the old model, so I've contacted a local store and they told me in fact that model had changed production as well, and they also had one in stock.

Went to check it and for sure... Rosewood fretboard rather than Ebony, lack of the 12th fret inlay engraved with the model name,and the binding looked a lot cheaper than on the pics of the older models. It wasn't very well set up either, with the string action way higher than I'd like.

This to say, don't always trust what the retailers say, in this case I had the chance to check it by myself, plus I trust the guys from this relatively small local store would also have told me all its specs before purchase, but had I ordered it from Thomann or MusicStore, I'd have the sorrow experience of finding out what I've received wasn't what I was promised. Mind you, the guitar wasn't bad by any means, but it was a downgrade and certainly inferior in value to the previous model. Ebony fretboards are a very premium feature and it really looked killer on that all black and gold guitar, the Rosewood just didn't look right. Plus, if I wanted that, I could simply buy a PRS SE like I've ended up doing for about 2/3 of its price with virtually the same specs.

10. Blues256

Blues256 Squier-Meister

Apr 3, 2020
    Poland
    True, mine is more Carmel than brownish. Also White Blonde is more creamy just ;like BSB is more Amber than yellow

horax likes this.
  11. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    This exact headstock logo is on ALL new Squier products.....China and Indonesian, and even on models like the Affinity Tele.....they changed the entire look in 2019.

12. Blues256

Blues256 Squier-Meister

Apr 3, 2020
    Poland
    Ture, but wood, finish color differs a bit. Indonesian one seems more "Carmel" colour while Chinesse is "Brownish"

horax and Guitarmageddon like this.
  13. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Squier Talker

Aug 31, 2019
    United States
    I have that guitar's thinline, P90-loaded cousin, and it's a great guitar.

14. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    I hope they make the 60’s p bass in China again. I’ve avoided them because they’ve been Indonesian and nearly all the reviews I’ve read for them say it’s a noticeable drop in quality. I love my Indo VM telebass, but it’s admitting not as nice as my Chinese CV duo sonic.

15. martyprotone

martyprotone Squier Talker

Jun 28, 2017
    MA
    Greetings all,a question,I have CV tele custom dated 2016 CIC.Is this a "new" one or "old" style?I have had it for a few years and like it but it I don"t love it if you know what I mean.I have been playing a bullet Strat lately and I realize I am a Strat guy.The tele is nice but I have had a few Pro Tone Bordellocasters (transparent red thinline) and loved them,sold them due to a move to a smaller house and still regret it.I may sell the cv tele btw from the AXL factory ,appreciate all responses,later

16. PapaShark

PapaShark Squier Talker

Apr 25, 2020
    Long Island
    I bought a new one from Sweetwater and returned it and then returned the second one both had neck playability issues and fretted out on bends up on the neck. Now looking for used MIC 60's Custom. The CV 50's Tele is still made in China for now but not the 60's

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  17. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Fender and Squier guitars aren't like Gibsons and ESPs. Even if you get the action so low that the strings are practically laying against the frets without fretting out on bends, they sound like S**t setup like that. They play and sound better with a little higher action, where you have to work the guitar a little harder to make it sing. That's also the nature of the longer scale length. Look at SRV for instance. Besides, to quote an old interview that I remember from Joe Walsh in Guitar Player magazine- "Fenders are supposed to buzz". Any string on any guitar will buzz if you pluck it or hit it hard enough. If I don't hear it through the amp, then I don't care.

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  18. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    2016 would be the "old" spec

19. martyprotone

martyprotone Squier Talker

Jun 28, 2017
    MA
    thank for the response drew,as I said like but not loved,I have been playing a lot of bottleneck and a strat i the way to go,later

drewcp likes this.
  20. Notejunkie9

Notejunkie9 New Member

May 6, 2020
    Klamath Falls, Oregon, USA
    I ordered a 50s Classic Vibe two toned sunburst from MF on 04-18-2020... Each time I called, I was given a different shipping date. I was told it would be shipped on May 18th. The 3rd call informed me that it was in the process of being shipped but did not know when exactly. It arrived yesterday. I was fully expecting it to say "Crafted in Indonesia", it didn't, it said "Crafted in China", inspected on 01/06/2020. I thought I would be getting one with an Alder body, as MF says that is what the body is made of. The body of this guitar is 3 pieces of laminated Pine. I have a FSR Bullet Tele coming and will be ordering a Left Handed Squire Jazzmaster, while I can still get it for $320.00. Does anyone here know whether the Chinese or Indonesian Classic Vibes are really the better of the two? I absolutely love this Stratocater. When I saw the words Crafted in China, I just said ***** Yes! So, the Classic Vibes are either being made in China or the folks at Guitar Center and Musicians Friend are merely selling off old inventory.
    Any thoughts..?

Taurus likes this.