Classic Vibes are again made in China

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by sgwallace, Mar 8, 2020.

1. sgwallace

sgwallace Squier Talker

Jan 23, 2020
    Tennessee
    I noticed Sweetwater has quite a few new CV Strats and Tele's that are again made in China. Maybe because of the quality difference from Indonesia ? They have only been made in Indonesia for a short time ! Thoughts ?

2. Eddie

Eddie My Squier is on Fire !!! Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Glad Squier/Fender reacts quickly to the market. I think the new CV70 hasn't been moving.

3. stratfreak

stratfreak Squier-Meister

May 1, 2019
    San Antonio, TX
    interesting. I have a 1950s CV Strat that was MIC. Great guitar. Haven't had my hands on an Indonesian CV to compare.

4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    The new line has been made in both China AND Indonesia since it began in 2019.....nothing's different now. Some of the models are made in China, some in Indonesia.

Nothing's changed....

5. I thought the entire production was moved to Indonesia … at least that was what was being portrayed, even here on Squier Talk. Obviously not true, cause I did see one posted a while ago from a member who bought a new China made Classic Vibe.
    Cheers, Barrie.

6. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Of course, at the time everyone was speculating - myself included. We saw the Indonesian ones in photos by Fender first, so of course we all assumed....but I've seen the Chinese ones around for a while now, new ones....probably like 3-4 months? At least in Fender provided photos to dealers...not in the wild,.....

7. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Looking at all the CV models that SW has in stock, I see far more Indonesian models, both ISS (Samick?) and ICS (Cort?), than Chinese, which are now carrying the serial number prefixes CGRB, CGRJ, and CGRK. The only Chinese ones were the White Blonde and BSB 50s Teles, which are CGRB and CGRJ, and the Sunburst and LPB 60s Strats, which are CGRB and CGRK, while the CAR 60s Strat is ISS.

8. B Stock

B Stock Squier-Meister

Feb 6, 2020
    left coast
    Ola Englund heavy metal swedish guitarist extraordinaire has started his own guitar line Solare Guitars , they are made by guys he made a deal with , he goes over and check shipment all day as long as it take to checks every guitar in the shipment, setup, how every guitar plays, everything.
    they are made in Indonesia.
    I use to make stuff as a machinist there was a spec sheet on every detail of every part I made. .0010
    was usually the tolerance so that's what the customer paid for and that's what they got some times I made parts the had to be made with a snap fit. snap the part together snap them apart , that costs more a lot more. those guys are competing for contracts so the fulfill the spec.
    to think that a piece of maple created in CNC machines in L.A. or Japan or Korea isn't as good is silly. I could make 30 to thirty five precision part a shift all day every day when with out CNC machine I might be able to make 6 or 7 a day. There are videos the shop CNC machine making instruments on line it's so fast and so precise it's amazing
    My Mexican Strats get along just fine with my Asian Teles. But that's just me talking.

9. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Don't be ridiculous, this is the land of myths and legends, otherwise known as the internet. Logical thought and us engineers have no place here.

10. kjmac

kjmac Squier-holic

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I have a Fender Tele that is made in China. I paid CV price for it because it was a floor model but it is just as good as my two MIM Fenders and if you don't turn the headstock over you would swear it's an MIM or even an American model. I really like it.

Chinese Tele.jpg

Taurus, PapaShark, Anacharsis and 8 others like this.
  11. mitch_cumsteen

mitch_cumsteen Squier-Nut

Jun 25, 2018
    Planet, Idaho
    Now, I'm really confused. So, are the same pickups in the Indo CVs that are in the China CVs? I thought the new Indo CVs were getting what are the equivalent of Standard pups and the China CVs had the Toneriders.

Taurus and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  12. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    The new China made CV's do NOT have ToneRider pickups - the old line with the old specs is gone. They are all the same pickups, which are a slightly beefier output version of the old Squier Standard alnico V pickups.

13. B Stock

B Stock Squier-Meister

Feb 6, 2020
    left coast
    when I was under 10 years old made in Japan was used as a slur, now it seems to have migrated in western minds, to made in ( fill in the blank ) is indicative of lower quality. perhap the stigma is associated with race or culture.

JurnyWannaBe, Rat cam 68 and Wound_Up like this.
  14. No way we're going down this road. :rolleyes: We just needed clarification on the new CV line, which we seem to now have.
    Cheers, Barrie.

Taurus, rorygman, Barry and 2 others like this.
  15. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I saw two of the Indonesian CVs in Long and McQuade last week and had to use all my willpower not to walk out with another payment plan/guitar.

There was a 60's CV Strat and a CVC Tele and both of them had the nicest sunburst finish I've ever seen on a Squier. I even asked the guy who worked at the store to point out the seam where they joined the body pieces and he couldn't.

So they either have a veneer (which I doubt) or these two guitars managed to get one-piece bodies. Either way I was super tempted by that and this used Vintera Tele which was on sale for $799 CAD.

Deviljho likes this.
  16. Barry

Barry Squier-Meister

Feb 5, 2020
    Eastleigh, UK
    I bought a CV Jag in February and I have no idea where it was made - I didn’t even think to look, I just played it and liked it!

I’m away from home for a couple of days, so I can’t check right now.

irvinlamar, Taurus and optofonik like this.
  17. fendereedo

fendereedo Squier-Meister

Aug 12, 2015
    UK
    My CVC is an Indonesian made, not sure if either Sammick, or Cort. To be perfectly honest I'm not bothered either way, it looks great, plays great and feels great. The guitar is quality throughout, I've no complaints, and have none to make.

18. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    I found the quality of the Samick made esquire to be lower than the CV from China. I have no such experience with the Cort made CV 70s models.
    I have a 2008 CGRK CV50s tele, so that is not new. ;)

19. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    All the more recent Chinese ones from the previous now discontinued line that I saw were CGS prefixes.

CVSteve likes this.
  20. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    I thought the same, until I found this one... I suppose it was an early one.

DougMen likes this.