Classic Vibe: Indonesia vs China

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Totally Squiered, May 17, 2020.

1. Treehouse

Treehouse Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2019
    The Arboritum
    TEXINGA and Strang_Banger like this.
  2. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Nut

Dec 7, 2018
    GA
    LOL

3. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Nut

Dec 7, 2018
    GA
    Just got my Squier Jazz Bass V, it is from Indo, and it is sooooo nice.

bass 060.jpg

bass 063.jpg

bass 061.jpg

4. GilmourD

GilmourD Squier-Meister

Mar 31, 2020
    Rutherford, NJ
    See... I keep seeing this all over the forum, but the specs are different. What is currently designated as a Classic Vibe from Indonesia is not the same spec as the Vintage Modified line.

Just eyeballing the spec lists super quick, this is what I see as being different between the regular VM and the CV60s and CV70s (which doesn't even account for the CV50s not having an equivalent VM model):
    • Body wood (the big headstock VMs were basswood, small headstock cedro, CV60s Nato, CV70s poplar)
    • Fret size (VMs medium jumbo, CVs tall narrow)
    • Fretboard dots (big headstock VMs had parchment, small headstock white, CVs are pearloid)
    • Different electronics (Duncan Design SC101s in the VMs, Fender "designed" with the weird stagger in the current CVs)
    I'm sure there's more differences, but it's late and I want to go to sleep.

5. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    They also changed the specs of what what were the original CV line guitars, but still call those models Classic Vibes.

beagle likes this.
  6. pblanton

pblanton Squier Talker

Jan 27, 2020
    Black Forest, Colorado
    I have a number of electric guitars but about four months ago I bought my first bass. It was an Ibanez GSR200 that I picked up from a guy in Boulder, Co. for ~$125. A couple of months later my daughter was home from university and she casually mentioned that she would like to pick up the bass, so I gave it to her and have been looking for a good deal on another one ever since.

I recently checked Amazon and saw the Squier Classic Vibe 70's Jazz Bass for $399 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N292S5J/?tag=squiertalk-20 ). Then I noticed that they also had them "used" for $251.01 so I took a chance on the used one. The used option is no longer available for the natural and black, but the sunburst is available, "used" for $283.35. Look for the "Used" option at the bottom of the payment/selection window...

2020-10-15_14-30-36.jpg

It arrived today, is made in Indonesia, and is brand new! The hang-tags are still on it, as is the peel-off plastic cover on the pickguard, neckplate, and tuning key heads (I removed it before taking the pics).

There are two very small finish dents on the back, which is is what I presume made it, "Used". I didn't see them at first but felt one of them as I ran my hand across the body, then was able to see it and the second one, when tipped into the light at the right angle. The second one is so slight that I can't feel it and I also cannot get it to show up on the camera. In the photo of the dent, that's a smudge from my hand to the right of it, and a light reflection underneath. The dent is very minor.

Overall I am thrilled to have gotten one for such a great price! $250 is about what I'd expect to pay for a decent kit!

PXL_20201015_200238752.jpg PXL_20201015_201537270.jpg PXL_20201015_201632534.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    Best1989 and drewcp like this.
  7. emitex

emitex Squier Talker

Aug 10, 2020
    USA
    A few years ago I purchased a CV Mahogany 60s Thinline made in China and bonded with it immediately. Loved it, and the quality. So much so, that I thought to buy a complementary ash '72 HH Thinline VM model made in Indonesia, which I also liked but was a little different, still preferring CV China made. Then I got a CV Jazzmaster (avatar), made in Indonesia and was blown away with the quality. It actually felt like some Fenders I had back in the day. So I guess, I'd have to say I'm a fan of both manufacturing countries. I guess it's more the training and quality control Fender requires, no matter what country it's assembled.

drewcp likes this.
  8. Nduro

Nduro Squier Talker

Oct 17, 2020
    Poland
    I didn't have the vibe, but the bullet, affinity and standard ones I had were better made from Indonesia.

9. pblanton

pblanton Squier Talker

Jan 27, 2020
    Black Forest, Colorado
    I'm a fan of Indonesian-made guitars. I find that their workmanship and attention to detail is superior to Chinese-made ones, but that's just anecdotal evidence based on my experience.

Treehouse and Nduro like this.
  10. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I have and have had both and I see no detectable difference in quality between the two. Factories in both countries build millions of quality guitars, and have for many years. There may be differences in specs between Squier models made in the 2 countries, but that's because of what FMIC has specified, not where the guitars are made.

pblanton and GilmourD like this.