Classic Vibe: Indonesia vs China

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Totally Squiered, May 17, 2020.

1. Totally Squiered

Totally Squiered Squier-Nut

Nov 21, 2012
    Berlin
    Hi

I am wondering about the prevailing opinions on the quality of the new Indonesian built CVs compared to the old Chinese built CVs.

This applies to teles as much as to strats. A friend of mine has a CV 60 Strat and a CV 50 Tele, both built in China, both of which I’ve played and both of which are awesomely wonderful instruments. He recently got an Indonesian CV 70s Tele. I played it and was not nearly as impressed with the quality of the instrument compared to his other CVs. He has since sold this one.

I’m interested to know if anyone here has had similar thoughts / experiences.

I’m sure there’s a thread somewhere on this, so if you want to post a link here I’d be happy to read it. I tried the search function but gave up after trawling through the 5th page of for sale ads for CVs!

Alternatively just let me know your opinion here. I’ll be interested to read it!

2. Barry

Barry Squier-Meister

Feb 5, 2020
    Eastleigh, UK
    Las Palmas Norte and drewcp like this.
  3. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    There are gems and dogs in everything. Squier Indonesia and Squier China have both made guitars for DECADES. The Vintage Modified line, which was much loved, was Indonesia........Squier changed the name to Classic Vibe. Literally that's all that happened. They changed the name. The guitars are fine.

4. Totally Squiered

Totally Squiered Squier-Nut

Nov 21, 2012
    Berlin
    Thanks for the clarification.
    I never was a fan of the VM70s. It didn't feel as superior quality as the CVs I've played.
    I also never got on well with the DD pups.
    Interesting thread. I think the observations about the CGS serial no. CVs being the best reflects my experience. As well as the CGF modern player fenders. All fantastic guitars.

drewcp likes this.
  5. Treehouse

Treehouse Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2019
    The Arboritum
    brians likes this.
  6. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I prefer MIC, earlier run. Other folks like newer ones. Some people a neutral.

7. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    There’s been many more changes than just the name from VM to CV, the models and finishes for starters. I have a Chinese CV duo sonic that I absolutely love. The only new Indonesian CV’s I’ve played was a Mustang bass and the thinline tele. Both seemed fine as far as playability and craftsmanship. The thinline, however was stupidly light IMO, so I wonder how soft the body wood is. Otherwise, it’s the price that’s a turn off for me.

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  8. Amateur317

Amateur317 New Member

Sep 6, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I just picked up a made in China 50’s white tele from a local music shop.

I think it’s been in there for a while, but I’ve been wanting one and they’re all backordered for a while.

The only fault I found was on the thumb side of the neck at the 14th fret. Where the side finish meets the fretboard there’s a separation about a mm thick and about 5mm long. I didn’t care so I got it.

Otherwise that thing played and sounded better than the MIM player series they had in stock. It’s beautiful. Going to take the strings off and detail it later today.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  9. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    Not that I dislike China or other origins, but my favorites come from Indonesia, be they CV, VM, Bullets. Again, they all have lemons from all sources but the Indonesian I have are all really good.

Mr Purple and Triple Jim like this.
  10. techowiz

techowiz Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    I've had both. I prefer my China made CV only because of the Tonerider pups. The Indo made one had Fender pups. Other than that, pretty much the same guitar.

Treehouse likes this.
  11. Catalyst

Catalyst Squier Talker

Dec 27, 2018
    Blagoevgrad
    In fact its the opposite - Chinese CVs are Toneriders

12. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Squier-Meister

Jul 9, 2020
    LA / Denver
    I find that with electrics, unlike acoustics, anything can be changed or repaired. So, I don't care where they're from - only how they perform. That said, I have found nothing wrong with any Indonesian CV's I own or have played.

13. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    This is a common misconception. The pickups were both produced by the same factory, but aren't technically "toneriders" in the CVs.

It would be like finding an AXL guitar and and Squier made by AXL, I suppose.

Treehouse likes this.
  14. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I'm back to revise my opinion, after more experience with the Indo versions. I like them both pretty much the same

15. techowiz

techowiz Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    Thanks for
    Thanks for keeping me honest "Catalyst"!! My head isn't screwed on straight today....

16. Poor Richard

Poor Richard Squier Talker

Aug 3, 2020
    North Texas
    I had a CV China Strat and an Indonesian Deluxe Strat. Both were blah guitars to me. My Bullet Tele is Indonesian and one of the best guitars I’ve ever owned. It’s all hit or miss. Having said that, I do try to avoid Made in China products in general, and have long before COVID.

17. StratVegas

StratVegas Squier-Meister

Dec 18, 2019
    Nevada
    I have only played an Indonesian Classic Vibe that I was considering buying (so it may be a "sample size of one" issue) but I somewhat preferred the early run CGS serial CVs. Some really beautiful quarter-sawn necks/headstocks in those that I've owned and played. The Indo was fine, but just liked the look and feel of the early Chinese more.

I had a 2008 CV60s worked on by a well respected luthier (and a former Fender Custom Shop guy) who overhauled it after a bunch of years of hard play, and his opinion was that the CV was as good or better in terms of materials and workmanship to MIM Fenders and many MIA Fender he'd had his hands on.

18. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Nut

Dec 7, 2018
    GA
    I like the Indos, just purchased my 5th one from Fender (Classic Vibe '70s Jazz Bass® V) and should be getting it today,(if FedEx is on time). Had only one problem with one Indo and Fender replaced it.

51520 015.jpg

Strang_Banger and Treehouse like this.
  19. macoshark

macoshark Squier Talker

Jan 10, 2020
    southwest
    I'm expecting my first Indo on Thursday. It is a VM surf Stratocaster. I've only heard good things about this model.
    All my CV Strats are great players and glad to say well made.

20. macoshark

macoshark Squier Talker

Jan 10, 2020
    southwest