Classic Vibe 60s Jazzmaster - Review

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by Jazzamateur, May 16, 2020.

1. RobX

RobX Squier Talker

Apr 16, 2020
    ireland
    Great review,I'll be citing it in the divorce case if I get one......I like that it has decent tort on the scratchplate....which looks much closer to the original than most MIM or USA I've seen....the laurel looks fine...those holes in the heel are really bizarre!
    I'd prefer if the pickup covers could come off but overall its a tempting piece!.....good luck and enjoy it!

Kenneth Mountain and Jazzamateur like this.
  2. Jazzamateur

Jazzamateur Squier Talker

Apr 27, 2020
    Germany
    I also was quite surprised by how good the tort looks and it actually has some three-dimensional depth to it. My CIJ jazz bass, even though the build quality was superb, only had the tort printed on.

Kenneth Mountain and RobX like this.
  3. BlueTele

BlueTele Squier-Meister

Aug 29, 2019
    Waleska, Georgia
    Welcome to Squier_Talk! Interesting review, my buddy just bought his first guitar and this is exactly what he got at Guitar Center. I'm very impressed with it.

4. RobX

RobX Squier Talker

Apr 16, 2020
    ireland
    ....the VM's I've seen were the same,print with a transparent layer over it....ok at a distance but not up to the generally good finish overall

5. Barry

Barry Squier-Meister

Feb 5, 2020
    Eastleigh, UK
    Spent some time today setting up my new JM and thankfully I didn’t find any nasty surprises! I took the neck off to shim it and only found one unexplained extra hole in the neck heel.

6. Jazzamateur

Apr 27, 2020
    Germany
    Awesome! Glad your neck heel doesn't resemble swiss cheese... :D

Kenneth Mountain and Barry like this.
  7. aclockworkjake

aclockworkjake Squier Talker

May 28, 2020
    Minnesota
    What's the deal with the neck-shims on Jazzmasters?

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  8. Barry

Barry Squier-Meister

Feb 5, 2020
    Eastleigh, UK
    They have a rocking bridge which needs a reasonable amount of tension to work properly. Often you need to shim the neck to get a decent break angle, but it depends on how you like it set up. I like my action pretty low, and without a shim the bridge would be so low it almost touches the body - which decreases the break angle.

If you take a look at the image at the end of this article, the third one down is what I’m aiming for - https://www.tundraman.com/Guitars/NeckAngle/index.php

9. RobX

RobX Squier Talker

Apr 16, 2020
    ireland
    ..well I jumped...your fault Jazzamateur;)
    DSCN4175.JPG

10. GEECEE

GEECEE Squier-Nut

Jan 11, 2017
    MI
    Awesome review and great-looking guitar!

Jazzamateur and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  11. strat81

strat81 Squier-Meister

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    Great review. I've always liked the Jazzmaster body but I'm afraid of the bizarre pickups and electronics. I'm a simpleton in that regard. :p

Jazzamateur likes this.
  12. Jazzamateur

Apr 27, 2020
    Germany
    Maybe Squier should hire me for their commercial department. :rolleyes:
    Enjoy! Can't stop playing mine.

The overall weirdness was one of the biggest selling points for me!

13. brunonada

brunonada New Member

Thursday
    Lima, Perú
    Hi. I have the same guitar, a Squier Classic Vibe Jazzmaster, 3 tone sunburst. Got it last week. Beautiful guitar. After some hours of use (I use te trem a lot), it started buzzing (sounding like it's not grounded or something, first when using the trem, and later all the time when the strings vibrate). I took it to the store I bought it and they repaired that (and the nut, because it was very high from the factory and I couldn't play the first fret), and again, after some hours using it, the buzzing appeared.
    I've read there's no hole connecting the bridge to the rest of the circuit, so it can't be grounded like that, and that some people drill them to ground the floating bridge. Is it really necesary? How do you ground your jazzmaster bridges? I'm really worried. It's my first jazzmaster.

14. Jazzamateur

Apr 27, 2020
    Germany
    No need to worry! Neither the bridge nor the trem are grounded directly, but one of the bushings the bridge sits in is grounded, see?
    psGXlze.jpg

When I measure the DC resistance between the trem and the output jack it reads 0,1 ohm, so there's a decent connection to ground, should be the same with yours.

Just so I understand you correctly, you hear the buzz only through your amp, right? Do you still hear it, when the pickup selector switch is in the middle? The pickups by themselves can be a bit noisy.

If you're referring to noise that you hear unplugged, make sure the bridge is set up vertically, so it doesn't touch the bushings.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020 at 7:51 AM
    Sonarman likes this.