Chinese Squier Bullet Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by MarekG, May 30, 2020.

1. jefffam

jefffam Dr NC Gold Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    No , it is relative. A fortune for an NC & a Squier $150 ish plus shipping.

MarekG likes this.
  2. PartTimeGeek

PartTimeGeek New Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Long Island, NY
    This is the FIRST post I have seen which seems to nail down what my black Squier by Fender Stratocaster Bullet series actually is.

I have seen a lot of conflicting information about what the guitar year likely was, including this site, which suggests that anything starting with an NC is in the 2000's not the 90's
    http://www.squierwiki.com/Serial-Number-Tracking

One question, is the truss rod adjustment at the headstock?

Your guitar IS a jackpot.

Mine is beat up, was given to me as a hopeless case and I stuck it in a gig bag for about 10 years or more in the basement.
    It is black, with dime-size chips down to the wood on the bottom bout of the body and some smaller ones in a few places, missing a tremolo arm. It was rusty, grungy, the pots did not work right and the 5 way swtich was dead in spots.

I finally decided to go through all the guitars in the basement that had been mothballed and see which ones are trash, which are sellers, and which I want to keep. I thought for sure the Bullet would be trash

And then I took this one apart, short of removing the neck, used the proper contact cleaner and cleaned every pot and the switch, removed as much gunk and even White-Out from the pickguard as I could, swapped the tuning machines so the loose rattly ones were on the thickest strings and would hold tune, really de-gunked the fretboard and frets with some steel wool, then conditioned the fretboard, and polished the whole thing up, put on a new set 0f 10's and played it. And I'll be damned if it doesnt have all the chime and quack and bite and shimmer of a proper american made strat. My 97 era American Standard Strat which I gigged with for 10 years is my baby, but it has a set of EMG S pickups in it with a custom neck made by a noted luthier, and though it is a versatile and effortlessly playable workhorse for me, it is not equipped with real single coils. This bullet is the first guitar I have had that is not a super strat or an HSH carvin or early satriant 540R HSS guitar. It sounds AWESOME. JUST THE WAY it is. I spent ZERO on this thing and it is going to be my studio guitar for when I want that sound.

To check my head, I took it to a great tech and luthier here on Long Island NY (Larry Fitzgerald of Fitzgerald Guitars) and had him take a look at it. He said it is a great player guitar and has a straight and true neck. The pickups sound great regardless of them being ceramic. He just said I should be really careful when I try to find a replacement Trem arm because there are like 3 or 4 different thread pitches that they have and if you put in the wrong one, you can end up screwing up the threads in the block or even breaking the stem off in the block.

Does anyone know what the correct thread for a replacement Trem arm for that exact guitar?

Your guitar is an absolute score. My Am Std is a burst like that one, or I would be even MORE jealous.

Enjoy the guitar!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  3. jefffam

jefffam Dr NC Gold Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Hi and Welcome to Squier Talk. Nice first post but we do need pictures.

It is a '90's guitar. My bad really. I was supposed to fix the Squier Wiki 2 years ago with correct information, but you would not believe all that has happened in the intervening years.. The incorrect information is not mine.

An NC (Nineties China) and YN (Yako Nineties) sister builds were in the mid-90's. They run from '92 -'97date wise although some NC7 YN7 have early '98 neck / body build date stamps. You did not say what year you guitar was. If it's an NC 'Bullet Series', it is either a NC4 or NC6. I think in YN it would be YN 3 or YN5.

If you have any further questions, I'll be glad to answer if I can. @Eddie also has a wealth of information on NC's and more experience with YN's.

I would offer to see if I have a trem arm, but I just moved and I can't find anything, LOL. I have no idea the size as I don't use them and if by chance (rare) I get one with an arm, it comes off immediately.
    ETA: Truss rod access is usually at the headstock, but it can be at the heel. I see the heel adjustments most often on NC4.

4. MarekG

MarekG Squier Talker

May 30, 2020
    England
    Hi there: yep, it's a lovely thing! Truss rod adjustment is at the heel ( my other one, a YN, which I am refinishing in Surf Green much to jeffam's disgust, is at the neck end). I bought a Trem arm off eBay, just a bog standard 5mm thread and that fits just fine.

5. ElmoZappa

ElmoZappa Squier Talker

Sep 21, 2013
    Lost in Paradise
    I thing I done good, and scored a unicorn NC. Yes?

Attached Files:

6. guitarfox

guitarfox New Member

Dec 15, 2020
    SoCal
    Newbie here (at least on this forum), reading this interesting thread. I also have a sunburst Bullet from the same era (NC4 SN) that plays like a dream-the neck is one of my favorites of all my Fender/Squier guitars (90s Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 76 Tele Deluxe, 2019 Player Tele). Thanks to all for the detailed info on this fine guitar.

drewcp likes this.
  7. PartTimeGeek

PartTimeGeek New Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Long Island, NY

Sorry it has been so long. I am doing a complete setup on my Bullet This weekend and will have the pickguard off, and I think the neck off too.
    in the meantime, Serial number NC447691
    Black, 1 ply white pickguard, 6 screw trem, trusss rod adjustment at the neck end.